The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Wales will beat France. We don’t lose Grand Slam matches. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    France and Wales will be a barnburner. Wales to sneak it as has been said, they tend not to lose these matches. It's all set up for them. 

Seen nothing since their last encounter in December to suggest Ireland have a hope against England. We'll run into the white wall all day and only probably lose by 5/6, but we'll have never looked like winning.

And then of course the big one. Scotland by 3. Or 37.  

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I looked at Irish lineup and it’s plain to see they will attack England's midfield. George Ford is better than his size seems to point at but with at 13, there are two possible attack points which would put Farrell under pressure. Farrell would or could be pulled out of line to help Daly, so it will be interesting to see how Farrell snr will plan things. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Daly is a good 13, he made his reputation playing there for us (Wasps). However, at full back and on the wing his tackling has been, shall we say, indifferent so it may be a good tactic to target him.

I don't think that any particular result is more likely than any other. We all know England's ability to bugger things up, especially if they are back to playing hoofball.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    The americans MLR is trying some new laws this season. Shorter time for kickers, slight change to offside line at a scrum etc.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/major-league-rugby-trial-new-laws-to-enhance-the-game-122797?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=rugbyworld

Some of them look quite sensible, other less so. But be interesting to see what happens.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Super excited today. My sons team mate is starting for Worcester today against Bath. Very pleased for him. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Right now I'd say England getting spanked in the scrum.
  • Think England need to rethink their coaches contract. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Given how many times Wales have been said to be lucky and the worst Grand Slam winners ever if they won tonight ...is it safe to say that England have been....rubbish? I’m a bit drunk so not trying to piss anyone off ;) 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    England are just embarrassing. A one man advantage, and they immediately concede six points.
    <space for hire>
    Didn’t expect that. Pleasing. 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited March 2021
    England were a disorganised mess there. They haven't played well since the semi final. Ireland completely outclassed them.

Wales for the Grand Slam.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Well, that was a pile of poo. Apart from the karma of Farrell getting a whack on the head it was dismal.

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    That was seriously depressing viewing.  It's always difficult trying to work out exactly what Jonny Wilkinson is saying but is sounds to me as though he's blaming the coach.  Clive Woodward sounds as though he's blaming the players.  I think by the time we get to Monday's papers the whole lot of them will be in the stocks.  Did anyone in the England camp come out of that game with any credit?

What puts the whole sorry mess in perspective is that England, having somehow conspired to play two scrum halves and no recognised number 10, the makeshift back line actually seemed to function better than the starting line up and even scored a decent try.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Neill said:
    That was seriously depressing viewing.  It's always difficult trying to work out exactly what Jonny Wilkinson is saying but is sounds to me as though he's blaming the coach.  Clive Woodward sounds as though he's blaming the players.  I think by the time we get to Monday's papers the whole lot of them will be in the stocks.  Did anyone in the England camp come out of that game with any credit?

What puts the whole sorry mess in perspective is that England, having somehow conspired to play two scrum halves and no recognised number 10, the makeshift back line actually seemed to function better than the starting line up and even scored a decent try.

I thought Robson played his best game for England as Fly Half, and I really liked Daly’s drop gaol conversion from the side line.  One has to have something’s to cling to.

Ireland very  good.  Keith Earls always demonstrates that this can still be a game for the smaller guy
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    sev112 said:
    Neill said:

I thought Robson played his best game for England as Fly Half, and I really liked Daly’s drop gaol conversion from the side line.  One has to have something’s to cling to.

Ireland very  good.  Keith Earls always demonstrates that this can still be a game for the smaller guy
    Ha ha yes I forgot about Daly's conversion, England's best moment - and the camera almost missed it.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Jones has to go.  That was a shambles.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Another dodgy decision for Wales
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited March 2021
    Schnozz said:
    Another dodgy decision for Wales
    At least we are competing and making many opportunities. So far 3 tries scored and 2 disallowed marginally. 
    Wales getting away with murder, but that was red all day.