The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24519
    Gassage said:
    I think Gatland will pick Sam Simmonds. Even if only to annoy EJ.

I still rate Lawes over Itoje. He's often not as visible but he does the lock stuff better. 
    But he's just had surgery for a bad pectoral injury so I can't see him being fit.

Lawes doesn't start at lock anymore and hardly plays there...
    He does when he's not in a white shirt.

But he's not a flanker. Never has been.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30937
    Gassage said:
    I think Gatland will pick Sam Simmonds. Even if only to annoy EJ.

I still rate Lawes over Itoje. He's often not as visible but he does the lock stuff better. 
    But he's just had surgery for a bad pectoral injury so I can't see him being fit.

Lawes doesn't start at lock anymore and hardly plays there...
    He does when he's not in a white shirt.

But he's not a flanker. Never has been.

I cannot tell you how much I disagree with you. 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Well done Scotland and thanks....
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300
    Incredible grit Scotland well done.!
  • So much power, passion and a will to win by Scotland. Hamish Watson was super human. We thank you Scotland! 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    I can imagine Eddie Jones watching and fuming, "they're doing it all wrong".
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    There was a time when (weather) conditions like that would have dictated the game being played 90% by the forwards with the wingers all ending up in the early stages of hypothermia.  The modern game may have its critics but there's no doubting the massive improvement in handling skills across the board now.  

I reckon Hamish Watson and Zander Fagerson played themselves into the Lions squad last night, Jamie Ritchie is in the reckoning too.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2780
    Well done Scotland, and an enjoyable game.
    Once again McMerwe gets a try from a double movement, it is his signature move, and this one was even more so than earlier in the series.

the Scotland penalty in the first half frustrated me.  I don’t recall there being a rule / law about falling in the wrong side, only that sealing off by a defender is penalisable.  But Jamie Ritchie just locked the French player in with his knees and gets 3 points.  I do think the lawmakers and refs should look at this, as it is just so frustratingly commonplace.  Perhaps by making it a free kick, as the norm, penalty for deliberately sealing off.

also frustrating that Barnes told Marchant after giving him a penalty when Jackling, saying “that’s exactly what I want to see”, when Marchand didn’t actually try and get the ball, he just stood over the defender with his arms under the body and got his penalty.
    Rirchie did something similar later and got a penalty for the same thung, where he had his arms either side of the body on the ground, no way he’s going to try and get the ball back with arms there, but have a penalty.

so both of these to me are just examples of players getting into “physical postures” and getting points for doing so, it’s turning parts of rugby into diving, I.e. giving points for correct body position.

most of these like so many penalties these days are technical infringements and often accidental. But there you go, show me what I want to see and you can have 3 points.

any my last moan, ruck on the ground and the tackled player who has been on the ground for ages hands the ball back to the scrum half.  No where near immediate, nowhere near getting back to their feet.  If the attacking team take it in and can’t get it back with their feet or by standing up, then they lose the ball, as the rules state.  But no, every single game.why bother with rules/ laws.  

And I think even the scrum half’s have given up putting the ball in squint these days.  It now bypasses the locks and is fed directly to the number 8.  Both yesterday were almost facing their own line when they fed it !

don’t mind me, grumpy old man with no rugby to watch this weekend :)
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    sev112 said:
    Well done Scotland, and an enjoyable game.

<snip>
    That’s better. Now it looks like you did enjoy the game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3736
    As a neutral I really enjoyed the match last night and a well deserved win for Scotland. But why didn't France kick the ball into the stands at 82 minutes? They weren't going to be able to score a couple of tries and get the points margin in time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    A belter from Scotland and thoroughly deserved win !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Genius.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The hardest Lions trivia test I’ve seen! 

Go for it!

Ten Lions Teasers:

1. There have been eight British Lions Test Captain in the professional era; name them.

2. There have been three players representing the Lions with the initials JPRW- name them.

3. What distinction do Martin Corry, Tom Croft and Paul Wallace hold for the British and Irish Lions?

4. Which three players have made the most appearances for the Lions (including non-tests) in the professional era?

5. Who are the only two Lions to score four tries in a test series?

6. Who is the only Lions prop to win a Man of the Match award in a Lions test match?

7. Who was the last Lion to score two tries in the same test match?

8. Who was the only British and Irish Lion to feature on a number 1 US/UK hit single?

9. Which British Lion once entered a Lego ‘National Speed Champion’ competition?

10. Who is the only British and Irish Lion to complete a ‘Full House’ (try, penalty, conversion and drop goal) in a test match?

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Gassage said:

Go for it!

Ten Lions Teasers:

1. There have been eight British Lions Test Captain in the professional era; name them.

Paul O Connell, Martin Johnson, AWJ, er... let me think...

2. There have been three players representing the Lions with the initials JPRW- name them.

I know Joe Worsley is one.

3. What distinction do Martin Corry, Tom Croft and Paul Wallace hold for the British and Irish Lions?

No idea - did they all play full time in each test?

4. Which three players have made the most appearances for the Lions (including non-tests) in the professional era?

Ah, was going to say Willie John but in the pro era..? Jason Leonard for one?  

Gosh these are hard aren't they?  JJ Williams? can't think of anyone else

6. Who is the only Lions prop to win a Man of the Match award in a Lions test match?

As he's mentioned above I'd guess Paul Wallace.

Was that George North?

8. Who was the only British and Irish Lion to feature on a number 1 US/UK hit single?

Oh come on, this is getting ridiculous, none of them can sing, oh hang on it has to be James Haskell - yay I got one right..?

9. Which British Lion once entered a Lego ‘National Speed Champion’ competition?

FFS.....

10. Who is the only British and Irish Lion to complete a ‘Full House’ (try, penalty, conversion and drop goal) in a test match?

Hmmmm.. Barry John?
    That is my honest and pathetic attempt - without googling of course.
    @Neill you got a few right in 1 and 2, the rest, sorry, no cigar.....

In fairness, they're very fucking hard.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4164
    Gassage said:

Go for it!

Ten Lions Teasers:

Brian Odriscoll, Sam Warburton, Gareth Thomas, AWJ, Martin Johnson, Paul O’Connell?

Apart from JPR Williams no idea.
    were they all picked but injured before playing?

AWJ Bod Martin Johnson

tom smith

Ugo Monye

Jamie Robert’s 

Neil Jenkins?

That was very hard, and I love and watch all the Lions Series.
    That was very hard, and I love and watch all the Lions Series.

Well, you got 6 of the Lions skippers- you missed out a welshman and an irishman....that, I am afraid is it.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2780

Guessed that 93 was Prof Era; Got the “obvious7”  but was the trick one was news to me a test but not against the Main opponents - like when we play Japan this time?   I had to give up.
    JPR Williams, Jonny wilkinson?
    3. What distinction do Martin Corry, Tom Croft and Paul Wallace hold for the British and Irish Lions?  Did they captain mid week matches but weren’t originally selected ?

AWJ confirmed as Lions Captain