The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    England did their Lions prospects no good at all yesterday. Itoje May Watson on the plane, Sinckler possibly, Curry? Not sure.

Ireland on the other hand must have given Gatland a lot to think about. Sexton definitely, possibly starting, Beirne Furlong , Stander , Healy all in contention. Connor Murray? Henshaw is on the plane. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    hywelg said:
    England did their Lions prospects no good at all yesterday.
    Not really a problem. Lions = more rugby, and I didn't see any desire from any of them to play rugby at all yesterday.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    If I was looking for excuses I'd say England were weighed down by the stress of Lions selection, but that doesn't excuse their penalty count which has been a common factor in all their defeats.  Also, in the second half it looked for all the world as though they were sticking to a plan that still involved kicking rather than going through the phases, when it was crystal clear from the first half that plan wasn't working.  That has to be a coaching issue.  

The Welsh and Irish guys must be elated, despite the French defeat, I think Wales will lift the title and the Lions look like a combination of the two sides now.  

What I'm still scratching my head over is how the hell did England manage to beat France last week?

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    COVID !  DuPont and Olivon certainly were tested positive as were others in the french team
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Neill said:

What I'm still scratching my head over is how the hell did England manage to beat France last week?

Well the dodgy Itoje try grounding decision helped! If that had been the other way round, we’d have been upset at that decision..
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    England were very poor, shame they couldn't keep the France form - what is going on ?

France gave England room to play. Ireland smashed England to bits at the breakdown and at the scrum - England buckled under pressure from Ireland and imploded giving away penalty after penalty. If I were Gatland I wouldn't pick a single England player with the exception of May. I think Itoje is overrated as he gives away too many silly penalties. You can't afford that on a Lions tour.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    I was watching the Northampton-Bristol game today and noticed Marshall advertising. Not sure I've ever seen that before but it appears it started in 2019.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    pigface said:
    I was watching the Northampton-Bristol game today and noticed Marshall advertising. Not sure I've ever seen that before but it appears it started in 2019.
    I’m gutted about that game.
    Taking Grayson off was one of the most boneheaded coaching decisions I’ve ever seen. He was on fire. Whereas Mallinder hasn’t played well since his return from injury after a year out.

Grayson would not have missed that penalty.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I don't think Ireland were given the credit they deserved for the demolition of England yesterday.  Not many here in Ireland expected to see what we saw.  Movement and ball retention - cards allowed England to score late on - otherwise the score would have truly reflected what went on on the pitch.

I feel for Wales, losing the game as they did.  They will end up as Champions IMHO.

I can't figure out what is happening in Scotland.  They beat Italy as expected but never quite looked in total control.  France will win the game on Friday but probably the winning margin needed is too much.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited March 2021

For shits and giggles:

Hogg - just pips Williams
    LRZ  - if you're good enough etc....
    Henshaw
    Farrell
    May
    Davies
    Sexton (Russell has been too flaky, but would love him to start if he could get it together)
    Billy V/Doris 
    Tipuric
    Beirne - been too good to leave out
    AWJ
    Itoje
    Furlong
    George
    Sutherland

Owens
    Jones
    Sinckler
    Henderson 
    Watson/Stander
    Slade
    Williams

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited March 2021
    Here's mine: 

Hogg
    Liam Williams (on the wing, been too good to leave out. Otherwise Adams)
    North
    Henshaw
    LVR

Biggar
    Murray

Faletau (back to his best)
    Tipuric
    Tadhg Beirne  
    AWJ 
    Itoje

Furlong
    Owens
    Jones
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Here's mine: 

Hogg
    Liam Williams (on the wing, been too good to leave out. Otherwise Adams)
    North
    Henshaw
    LVR

Biggar
    Murray

Faletau (back to his best)
    Tipuric
    Tadhg Beirne  
    AWJ 
    Itoje

Furlong
    Owens
    Jones
    Is that Louis Vees -Rammit :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I think the Lions 15 has pretty much picked itself this past weekend, England have made Gatland's job a lot easier in fact I don't see a compelling case for picking any England player when you look across at the other nations.  Despite the so-called mitigating circumstances of the England squad management. 

I think Sexton will start at stand off, he's hard as nails, seems to be as fit as ever and never seems to miss a kick at goal.  Biggar will be second choice, there's no place for Farrell in the squad.

I do think Curry will make it, probably Watson as well, but not even sure about Itoje now - his star has waned over the last few games, and when you have eg AWJ, Beirne, Henderson all playing out of their skins, Itoje is on the bench at best.  Tight head is an interesting one, you would have said Sinckler behind Furlong up til last weekend but I fancy Gatland will go for Fagerson if only to even things up a bit as there's no outstanding Scots apart from Hogg.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    I think Gatland will pick Sam Simmonds. Even if only to annoy EJ.

I still rate Lawes over Itoje. He's often not as visible but he does the lock stuff better. 
    But he's just had surgery for a bad pectoral injury so I can't see him being fit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30923

PRESS RELEASE

Embargoed:

4pm (BST), Tuesday 23 March

CASTLE LAGER LIONS SERIES – JOINT STATEMENT

The British & Irish Lions and SA Rugby confirmed on Tuesday they were aligned on delivering the Castle Lager Lions Series in South Africa in the scheduled playing window.

The Lions Board confirmed its preference to SA Rugby on Monday evening, prior to follow-up meetings earlier today.

“After reviewing information relating to the various contingency scenarios being considered, I can confirm that the Board’s intended position is for the Tour to go ahead as scheduled in South Africa in 2021,” said Jason Leonard, Chairman of The British & Irish Lions. 

“We acknowledge that there is a significant amount of work still to be undertaken to deliver a robust COVID-19 countermeasure plan to ensure a successful, safe and uninterrupted Tour. SA Rugby will have our full support to help implement this plan.”

Mark Alexander, President of the SA Rugby, said he would inform the Executive Council of the South African Rugby Union of the alignment.

“We appreciate the Lions’ faith and share their desire to see a safe and successful tour,” said Alexander.

“We have been in regular contact with our government to make that a reality against the backdrop of the pandemic and its predicted progression over the coming months. 

“There are serious financial implications for SA Rugby, should the event take place without any supporters in attendance, and we cannot ignore that in our considerations. But we are determined that the eventual outcome will deliver the best occasion and experience for players, supporters and our commercial partners.”

Alexander said the original tour schedule was subject to review because of those considerations. Should any changes be required they will be communicated as soon as possible.

Leonard added: “Every British and Irish player dreams of wearing the famous red jersey, and players from the southern hemisphere aspire to be part of a Lions series. We owe it to the current players vying for a place in both squads to ensure they can become part of Lions history.  

“We are very much looking forward to taking on South Africa for what promises to be a highly-competitive Series against the reigning World Champions.” 

Alexander thanked the Castle Lager Lions Series’ commercial partners as well as the British & Irish Lions and ticket holders for their patience during the extended period of uncertainty. 

“As hosts and ‘owners’ of the Castle Lager Lions Series no one has been more affected or more challenged by the current circumstances than SA Rugby,” said Alexander. “However, with the support of our government and good planning we can navigate the pandemic to nonetheless create a most memorable event for players, fans and partners.” 

It is not yet known whether international or cross-border travel for supporters will be possible into the country in July. Supporters who have purchased ticket-inclusive packages through Lions Rugby Travel will be notified directly via email with information on the options available.

The Lions remind supporters that all packages purchased through Lions Rugby Travel are protected by the Covid-19 guarantee*. Supporters who have booked packages with official sub agents should contact them directly. For the latest guidance on travelling to South Africa please visit the UK Foreign Office website: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-africa or the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs website: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/south-africa/

At this time, it also remains unclear whether spectators will be permitted into stadia in July and August. SA Rugby and the Lions continue to work with relevant South African Government departments to ascertain the latest guidance on COVID-19 countermeasure planning for major sporting events and will communicate any updates as soon as it is possible to do so.

In the event that spectators are not permitted to gain access to the Test matches, Lions supporters who had successfully purchased Test match tickets via the Lions ticket ballot will be refunded.

The British & Irish Lions Test match against Japan at BT Murrayfield Stadium on Saturday 26 June 2021 for the Vodafone Lions 1888 Cup will continue as scheduled. However, a decision on crowd size will be made nearer the time of the event and in line with the latest UK Government guidance. For more information, including ticketing enquiries, please visit:

https://www.lionsrugby.com/1888-cup-faqs/ 

The British & Irish Lions have toured South Africa on 13 previous occasions, with the first Tour taking place in 1891. In that time, the Lions have won four Test series, lost eight with one drawn. Their overall record against the Springboks is played 46, won 17, lost 23 and drawn six. 

*For more information please visit www.lionstour.com  

[ENDS]

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I think Gatland will pick Sam Simmonds. Even if only to annoy EJ.

I still rate Lawes over Itoje. He's often not as visible but he does the lock stuff better. 
    But he's just had surgery for a bad pectoral injury so I can't see him being fit.

Lawes doesn't start at lock anymore and hardly plays there...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited March 2021
    I'm English, and I wouldn't start Billy V.  He mIght be good to bring off the bench to run over tired defenders, but he's a bit one dimensional.  There has to be a better inside centre than Farrell as well.  Farrell would be good on the bench as he could cover 10 and 12.

On the other hand I would start Watson over LRZ.  I'd be happier that Watson would be in the right place defensively, and would cope better with any high bombs. If they start LRZ, then he will be a target there.

I'm not sure about AWJ at this stage of his career.  He's not what he was.  He probably should be in the squad, but I'm not sure about starting.

Edit:  that was in reply to @tbm ;;
    crunchman said:
    I'm English, and I wouldn't start Billy V.  He mIght be good to bring off the bench to run over tired defenders, but he's a bit one dimensional.  There has to be a better inside centre than Farrell as well.  Farrell would be good on the bench as he could cover 10 and 12.

On the other hand I would start Watson over LRZ.  I'd be happier that Watson would be in the right place defensively, and would cope better with any high bombs. If they start LRZ, then he will be a target there.

I'm not sure about AWJ at this stage of his career.  He's not what he was.  He probably should be in the squad, but I'm not sure about starting.

Edit:  that was in reply to @tbm ;;

I wouldn't even take him.

The test side will be something like:

Hogg, Williams, Davies, Henshaw, LRZ, Biggar, Murray; Marler if available or Sutherland if not, Owens, Furlong, Itoje, AWJ, Curry, Tipuric, Faletau.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I'm related to a British & Irish Lion - 'Stack' Stevens :)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I just think there are better wingers than L Williams, but few better full backs that L WIlliams on for, and he is on form.  I think he has as much big game experience and is playing better than Hogg. I like Hogg a lot, but he is living on his name and potential.  

I think Adams and May have both done it over several seasons and are on form, and both finish when there isn’t a right to finish.  LRZ might fall into that category, but hasn’t played a big game yet.  He’d be on the plane and prob in the subs.

and I don’t get Murray at the moment.  Hardly played this season and had an average game against underperforming England with several mistakes and wrong choices.  G Davies has been a  key part of  Wales’ improvement.  He is rarely wrong this season and has good experience.