The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    As a Wasps fan it almost pains me to say hopw good Quins were once Smith came on. Any sane international coach would pick him. Which is why Jones will pick that ill-mannered brat Farrell who again today showed why he shouldn't be allowed on a rugby pitch until he learns to respect the officials.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    what worries is me is he'll pick Smith, but then insist on continuing with Youngs at 9, whose delivery to Smith will be so slow and telegraphed that he'll get constantly tackled behind the gain line, then never pick him again.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    It was like a switch was flicked when Smith came on. Instant change. He seems fearless at such a young age. Just wonderful to watch. 
    Tyrone Green is also becoming one of those players who as soon as he gets the ball, you expect something to happen. Do you think he’s likely to get a Springbok call up any time soon? 
    so, seeing the demolition sarries just did to barf, it'd be interesting to see if they are still within the salary cap. There was an awful lot of international class on display in that team today (mind you, same could be said of barf, just not quite as much application).

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    VimFuego said:
    so, seeing the demolition sarries just did to barf, it'd be interesting to see if they are still within the salary cap. There was an awful lot of international class on display in that team today (mind you, same could be said of barf, just not quite as much application).
    Can’t see them making the same mistake/being so stupid (delete as required) on their return. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    England squad announced.  Both Vunipolas, George, and Ford all out.

Farrell announced as captain though, so probably not much chance of seeing Smith at 10 - at least not until Farrell gets a ban for trying to decapitate someone in a tackle.
    edited October 2021
    I thought Ford had been playing really well this season, as had big Billy. And George looks like he's proving a few points. Not been impressed with Mako this season though.
    EDIT: really looking forwards to seeing Radwan in white though, he's got some serious skills. Rafi looks a good bet long term for 9, Smith at 10, could be a very exciting backline.

Fuck me, he's dropped Dan Robson who's playing tremendously. Well, it means we get him for 70 minutes rather than EJ having him for 5 off the bench.

Presumably he picked Farrell because he didn't want an ear bashing which, as we all know, young Owen is prone to when things don't go his way. I don't want this thug to be captain of my country. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30914
    Three key talking points from England's squad | PlanetRugby

My thoughts on England....

An excerpt here

Despite speculation that there might be a change in actual captaincy, Owen Farrell again keeps his job but with the need now to bring together a new leadership group.

Shorn of his favourite four closest allies in the Vunipolas, George and George Ford, the dynamic now changes, as Farrell needs to work out how he engages with new sub-leaders to form England’s so-called senior leadership team. Farrell is a man of directive nature; he’s blunt, honest and demands incredibly high standards but those that know him well might perhaps wonder about his agility in thinking under pressure and how he communicates with others around him.

One of the key relationships of any side is the understanding between 2, 8, 9, 10, and 12. In this new squad, assuming he starts at inside centre, Farrell will be surrounded new players, those that give out different information, that deliver that insight in a manner he may not be used to and will ignite plays and tactics that are different to those that he’s been familiar with for so long around the likes of Ford, Billy Vunipola, George and others.

For Farrell, he has to embrace this not as a threat, but as an opportunity – a chance to grow the tactical armoury of England, to imbue new tactics and to play the game at a higher tempo than we’ve seen before and whilst he’ll feel almost stripped bare without his pals around him, he needs to quickly make new friends and to understand what makes them tick.

Above all, the best leaders do so with empowerment and delegation, two things that don’t come naturally to the ‘over the trenches’ approach of the great Saracen. It’s absolutely pivotal that he allows Marcus Smith to lead the attack, to give him the space to breathe and to make the playmaker role his own.

This is the biggest test of Farrell’s leadership yet – a walk into the unknown for a man that favours the structure of normality

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

@Gassage Just been watching the Eddie interview on YouTube. Was that your dodgy internet connection I heard ? :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    mattdavis said:
    @Gassage Just been watching the Eddie interview on YouTube. Was that your dodgy internet connection I heard ? :-)
    LOL yep! Catherine was brilliant. She's a hero.

I can honestly say that's the first time that's happened for me in about 200 Zooms with the RFU/Lions/WRU.

Gassage said:
    mattdavis said:
    LOL yep! Catherine was brilliant. She's a hero.

I can honestly say that's the first time that's happened for me in about 200 Zooms with the RFU/Lions/WRU.

Did make me giggle. ‘Errr, I got something about locks mate?’  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274

Poor poor USA.

Might as well stay home and punch themselves in the groin for 80 minutes instead... and use a hammer when the NZ bench comes on!

I guess it's one of those things where it's more about raising the profile of the game in the US (the money men are wetting themselves thinking about all the money to be made from the US market) rather than an actual sporting endeavour.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    VimFuego said:
    I guess it's one of those things where it's more about raising the profile of the game in the US (the money men are wetting themselves thinking about all the money to be made from the US market) rather than an actual sporting endeavour.

I don't think it will ever take off in the US.  They are never going to have a US team that will be competive at a high level, and they won't get support if they keep getting totally walloped all the time.

All the best athletes will end up playing American football or basketball.  A freak athlete like Maro Itoje would be making millions in the NFL or NBA.  He would never end up playing rugby in the US.  I just don't see them ever having the top level players to compete.

It's not just the Itoje level players though.  Almost anyone who has what you would need to be a good professional rugby player will get offered a scholarship to play American football (or maybe basketball for the taller guys) at the college level.  Even if they aren't NFL level players, they aren't going to turn down an all expenses paid scholarship to go to University.
    I'm open minded on that. The MLR is growing and is attracting some talent in their twilight years and that knowledge will get passed to the younger guys.

Youtube is also now full of "American reacts to rugby for the first time" videos and that is getting exposure by the millions in a way trad PR people could only dream about.

And in a country that appears to demand toughness and hardmen all the time even the big time NFL fans are doing the "...without pads!!!!" thing.

In a country of 330 million people they have enough of a talent pool to supply the NFL and rugby - and they are now bidding for the RWC too - hosted at the big NFL stadiums round the country.
    crunchman said:
    VimFuego said:

I don't think it will ever take off in the US.  They are never going to have a US team that will be competive at a high level, and they won't get support if they keep getting totally walloped all the time.

All the best athletes will end up playing American football or basketball.  A freak athlete like Maro Itoje would be making millions in the NFL or NBA.  He would never end up playing rugby in the US.  I just don't see them ever having the top level players to compete.

It's not just the Itoje level players though.  Almost anyone who has what you would need to be a good professional rugby player will get offered a scholarship to play American football (or maybe basketball for the taller guys) at the college level.  Even if they aren't NFL level players, they aren't going to turn down an all expenses paid scholarship to go to University.
    probably true, but from what little I know about it, rugby is becoming big in Japan. Whereas a few years back former test players went to France to bump up their retirement pots now they go to Japan, and a few high profile players have gone to the US. Whether they'll be successful or not I don't know, but they are trying to grow the game there (I saw something that the US are going to bid to hold the WC at some point). And I think there is a desire to see a sport like american football, but not as stop start.

Thing is, despite their own bluster, the US is literally the most pathetic underachievers in the history of world sport.

Participation in non-US sports in the States seems to depend on a particular immigrant community retaining interest in a sport from the "old country". Cricket and football (proper football, played with feet) are examples.

Rugby hasn't got a community like that in the States, it will have to have a broad appeal to take hold. I don't think it has, and I don't think it will. 
    USA 14
    New Zealand 104

heh.