The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Both could have seen red.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited October 2021
    They always seem to get away with murder, those All Blacks,

Anyway, I do think there were some good performances in there, the back row, good runs by Basham, for an hour it wasn't too bad, considering the team we had out, but we have to be at full strength to stand any chance against the All Blacks. Losing Ken Owens' throw into the line out will not have helped at all.

Next week, with the English based players back, hopefully we can give South Africa a game. Hopefully we'll see Zammit in full flow down that wing. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    I know there were lots of players unavailable but it was the same old Wales. Three attacking line outs butchered (I agree Owens would have probably done better), first-up tackles missed and terrible ball retention. Barrett is a master of the interception so why try miracle passes when you can hold and recycle? The physicality of the ABs is something else though - the speed and power of the whole pack is streets ahead of any northern hemisphere team. Positives were Basham, Wainwright and Priestland and that’s about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    26.2 said:
     The physicality of the ABs is something else though - the speed and power of the whole pack is streets ahead of any northern hemisphere team. 
    I don't think their whole pack is street's ahead than any other Northern Hemisphere side. I think France / England are there or there abouts and quite possibly Ireland as well. I guess the combination of power and skill 1 - 8 is very apparent in this NZ team but if you match them in the power game, they can't play the way they did on Saturday. I expect France and Ireland  to lose but I don't think NZ will be running in 7 tries. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15557
    although Barrett got POM I thought Savea was outstanding at 8, just the amount of times he got through tackles and over the gain line, much of what the AB's did well came from that. The question perhaps should be why was he able to do that, the Wales tackling looked poor against him, and with SA having similar big ball carriers it's something they will need to look at. To me, the key to beating the all court game the AB's play so well is stopping them getting the initial break over the gain line. England did it in the WC, as did the boks earlier this year.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    oh and I felt a bit for the Welsh hooker, there was clearly a lack of understanding between him and his jumpers, probably would've been wiser to have chosen easier throws to the front in those high pressure lineouts near the AB line.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30930

On the plus side, apparently one of Elias' line out throws sunk a rogue French trawler in Cardiff Bay.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like Alun Wynn Jones is out for a long time.
    maybe time to retire, he’s 36 now, let’s look to future. 
    edited November 2021
    Looks like Alun Wynn Jones is out for a long time.
    He should have retired after last 6N.
    The difficult bit is that he obviously didn't want to because of potential Lions Caps so the Welsh Management should have made the decision for him?
    I have complete respect for everything that he has achieved in his career but when you reach the end of line, go out with head held high.
    I guess the issue has been one of who takes his place as player as well as who becomes captain - the obvious candidates are also at the end of their playing careers?
    I wonder if part of it is wanting to get to 150 welsh caps, that's one hell of a landmark and legacy, won't be too many players, let alone forwards, anywhere getting 150 international caps. I mean, 149 is still an amazing achievement, but I guess we like round numbers. But realistically he was gonna be too old for the next WC, so you have to start bringing through replacements.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24448
    exocet said:
    The difficult bit is that he obviously didn't want to because of potential Lions Caps so the Welsh Management should have made the decision for him?
    I have complete respect for everything that he has achieved in his career but when you reach the end of line, go out with head held high.
    I guess the issue has been one of who takes his place as player as well as who becomes captain - the obvious candidates are also at the end of their playing careers?
    He should certainly rule himself out for international duty.

If he recovers then he'd be mad to not try and get 1 or 2 lucrative years in France or Japan to top up the pension pot.
  • I think we just need best players on field before picking a captain. 
    I would have liked to to see him used as an impact player for last 30 mins. From last year, next six nations is too late. Beard and another need time to gel and make up a strong partnership. 
    But all we’ve had is AWJ and another for last couple of years. 
    Think Taine Basham or Ellis Jenkins could do a job as captain. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    exocet said:

If he recovers then he'd be mad to not try and get 1 or 2 lucrative years in France or Japan to top up the pension pot.

He should have enough money by now.  When you read about Carl Hayman having early onset dementia at 41, and probable CTE, then I wouldn't play on just for a bit more cash.

With his profile he should be able to get a nice cushy job as a pundit to top up the pension fund.
    crunchman said:
    exocet said:

He should have enough money by now.  When you read about Carl Hayman having early onset dementia at 41, and probable CTE, then I wouldn't play on just for a bit more cash.

With his profile he should be able to get a nice cushy job as a pundit to top up the pension fund.
    He's got a law degree so could follow that path but he'd also be extremely useful within Welsh Rugby in a coach / mentor / advisory role. In all honesty, Wales need to capitalise on his experience in this respect.
    Farrell has tested positive for Covid.

Maybe Smith will start!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ooof, that's not good (I mean not about Smith starting, that'd be great) but if one player has tested positive then how many more may? Possible the test could be called off :(

VimFuego said:
    ooof, that's not good (I mean not about Smith starting, that'd be great) but if one player has tested positive then how many more may? Possible the test could be called off :(
    All other tests are negative!

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    subconscious note to conscious self   

* must not post in this thread,  must not post in this thread............... do NOT get drawn in...........*

;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:

* must not post in this thread,  must not post in this thread............... do NOT get drawn in...........*

;) 
    Are you Kiwi, South African or English? 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    bertie said:

;) 
    @bertie ?  BERTIE??!!  How the hell are you?