Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Stunning job.I love this guitar sooooo much.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A very, very nice looking guitar.

Wouldn't it have been better to route it for the Floyd Rose before you painted it, though....?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Really nice job, @WezV.  Near-black or black gloss is sooooooo difficult to get right - this looks pretty near damn spot on  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    edited January 2016
    A very, very nice looking guitar.

Wouldn't it have been better to route it for the Floyd Rose before you painted it, though....?
    nah, that would lack authenticity. I am taking the fender CS route  of making it look like an old guitar that got modded.  I might go kahler though, that seems more fitting for the time period  ;)

Really nice job, @WezV.  Near-black or black gloss is sooooooo difficult to get right - this looks pretty near damn spot on  :)
    it ain't that close to spot on, but I am confident it will end up reasonably well now I have got it to this stage without sanding through.  It had a lot of orange peel partly due to spraying in cold temperatures.

There are a few areas of the finish which are best described as "authentically Gibson"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I will stop here.

I spent another hour hand buffing the top last night.  I started by going over some of the rough areas with 1200g wet and dry again.  the repeated the t-cut buff and finished it off with auto-glym.  

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yup - there's a time to stop...

Lovely job :)
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Very cool!
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Truly stunning piece of work
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    You really can't not put 'Wez Paul' on it now, surely…?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;953637" said:
    You really can't not put 'Wez Paul' on it now, surely…?
    Nah, not now its got the disc logo. I may have done it if it had a more traditional main logo
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    *cough* engraved truss rod cover *cough*

:D
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sorry guys, I like the simplicity of the logo disc too much to go adding more to the headstock

although on the subject of truss rod covers  I was slightly disappointed to notice the gibson style one I have just received is two layers of plastic.  A smaller black TRC on top of a larger white one.   Even though I ordered the same part from the same supplier last year and it was proper 2 play with polished bevelled edges

the new one just looks massively cheap in comparison, even though i think it might be more historically accurate.  gonna have to go searching for the other one now
    So I have been thinkign about the pickup mounting brackets - or as Ash called it, "the silly bugger method"

you can get mini-humbucker mounting rings with screws at the corners - dead easy to use

But they just don't look right.  Gibson traditionally used a mounting plate, but these are hard to find so I decided to make some

So i got £2.30's worth or aluminium of ebay

measure the pickup screw spacing and mark it up

then drill some holes.   I am using M3 pickup screws so drilled the holes to 2.5mm and used a M3 tap to thread them.  The tap cost £2.99 on ebay

one of my drill holes wandered, but the important thing is the two outside holes did end up the correct distance apart, although the actual bracket will be installed slightly crooked.   I have plenty of spare aluminium, they only take minutes to make so I may do some more, but they will work as is

look, it fits

I will now take the pickups out of the rings, and just put the mounting plate and ring together.  I can then use them to mark the correct mounting holes in the body
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Nice work, Wez.

It may be a silly bugger method, but I actually like the mechanical simplicity of it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited January 2016
    The important bit I forgot to mention last night is that the pickup feet need bigger holes for the method above. The screws go straight through to ensure the pickup cannot move up or down within the ring. The nuts will be soldered to the bolts once I am happy with it all.

I went metric for all these parts because it made finding them cheaply a piece of piss.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    WezV said:
    The nuts will be soldered to the bolts once I am happy with it all.
    Would it be better to use Nylock nuts to avoid problems in the future if you ever have to take them apart?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

i have been considering that, or just using some threadlock
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    edited February 2016
    I love the way every little thing really matters to you. It just keeps getting better
    It got a little worse today when I realised I had not accounted for the thickness of the mounting plate when routing the pickup cavities.

But its all sorted now and the pickups fit nicely
  • ICBM;954866" said:
    Would it be better to use Nylock nuts to avoid problems in the future if you ever have to take them apart?
    Gibson uses nylock nuts on the newer guitars.