Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16743
    I have had this wired up with strings on for a few weeks, but been so busy I have only just got around to slotted the nut deeper so its actually playable.

got it all intonated today  and am very happy with the way it sounds.   I still need to work a few kinks out of the pickup height adjustment- its still not very reliable, and I have the second dodgy switchcraft I have had in the last year after never having a dodgy new switchcraft switch before???

Acoustically its still very much a les paul.  still has the brightness of a maple topped one, the pancake stack and/or choice of dense mahogany for the top probably helps with that.   Weight is 8lb 10oz, although i still need to add backplates to that.   It feels very solid and it has a extra special resonance I associate with full width set-necks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Pic?
    Stop crying, start buying
    Need daylight for that really, I will probably wait till I have the backplates done
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The suspense is killing me...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • WezV said:
    , and I have the second dodgy switchcraft I have had in the last year after never having a dodgy new switchcraft switch before???

..I've had one of those recently. That's a bit concerning...
    after doing my junior style yesterday I have finally plucked up the courage to start the relicing on this.

yesterday was my first attempt at razor checking, this is the second and i switched to an exacto blade for this.  Wheras I was about 60% happy with yesterdays attempt, I am 90% happy with this one.

the pics are after the blade - nothing has been done to soften the impact yet  I sat down, watched a film and just went with it

This is the first bit

I worked my way around

from another angle

the top done

the last two pics are in full sunlight, in doors you can only see it from certain angles.  I am probably still being a bit too "organic" with my patterns but I am pretty happy with this
    just been doing some edge wear and softening the gloss a bit, although it still doesn't have the feel I am after just yet, but its a lot closer

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    i have started ageing the hardware for this.  I had two pots, one of big parts, one of small.  I was totally focused on the big parts and left the small too long... but better that way than the other way around... but I can still work with these, some special magic mix* will cure a lot of evils.  

but oh my, I am happy with this (other than some chrome thumb wheels that have not aged at all)

Anyway, the above ageing was all done with some etchant - not ferric chloride,  Sodium Persulphate which is a bit gentler, especially at room temperature.

*special magic mix is liquid scratch filler - it does this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow! Stunning work!!
    It's actually been together as a playable guitar since Feb.... just building up the courage to do this. I already like it a lot more with the ageing 
  • WezV said:
    It's actually been together as a playable guitar since Feb.... just building up the courage to do this. I already like it a lot more with the ageing 
    The raging looks superb... you some relic jobs and they look so artificial. Not this one! 
    i have carried on ageing the parts during the evenings this week - not done any more  to the body finish yet but its so nearly there anyway it wont take much

anyway, first the over aged parts from the other day... I  had removed all the nickel to show the copper, decided to just carry on through the copper which leaves us with a pot of old looking  metal parts

I also aged the pickup covers and tuners slightly

Then all the plastics and the pickups get a fine sanding with 1200 grit and/or 0000 wire wool and the special magic mix treatment

started from this

Then looks like this

left for 10 minutes, then thoroughly buffed off

and a test fit on the guitar

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Initially I was a bit shocked with the relicing. But now I see it together, it looks natural as hell. Kudos Mr V.
    It's the process.... gotta work through the stage and get past the bad bits you don't normally see

I got this back together and strung up last night, but not wired yet.

Its probably the 3rd guitar in a row where I am convinced it sounds better for the relicing.   I know this can't be true!

I also noticed an error.  I gently aged 4 matching knobs, exept one of them goes to 11.  Not sure where that appeared from but I think I will keep it on this guitar as the bridge volume.  Its not like any of the other parts or spec are "authentic" to an original

I want to do another relic whilst I am in the swing of it... might finally be time to refinish my epi but I am also in the mood to do a telecaster

• Turn the bridge to 11 for the solo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:
    Initially I was a bit shocked with the relicing. But now I see it together, it looks natural as hell. Kudos Mr V.
    I agree. The first photos of the razor blade checking looked terrible, but that last photo I have to say looks totally convincing.
    juansolo said:
    I agree. The first photos of the razor blade checking looked terrible, but that last photo I have to say looks totally convincing.
    There has probably never been a relic which didn't start with an "oh my god, what have I done" feeling. ;)