Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    back is done too

and some more pics of the rest in different lighting.. i think i now have the level of sheen just about where i  want it

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    Looks frickin awesome!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Yep, like that lots!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    I really struggle with many relic' guitars because they look so overdone.  

This one - I have significant GAS! I genuinely want this guitar for my very own!!!!!  It looks absolutely right - very, very authentic looking wear.  Very nicely understated.  
    edited October 2016
    another pic with its (even less authentic, and even more reliced) sibling

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Old thread.... but fecking wow

it is an old bump - I am not updating pics so if anyone cant see them go here

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112304/getting-around-the-photobucket-curse

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for that! It's solved a huge amount of frustration with the photo links. And the guitars are lovely, so thanks for that, too. 
  • A-and having read through the thread properly now I can see the photos, I see it's guitar singular. Wow! Fantastic work. Considerably brightened my lunch hour. 
    necro bump

I liked this guitar a lot.  It still gets regular play and is often used for testing pickups.... But i have been increasingly unhappy with the ageing  on the finish.   It was one of my first with a knife.   i went too deep on some and the patterns are all wrong.   I got better with a knife by copying high res images of actual old guitars, rather than gibson custom shop examples.   These days i tend to use a bit of knife work and a bit of temperature checking, sometimes both depending on the finish i am trying to emulate.

So anyway, i got fed up of looking at it and stripped it ready for refinish.   Still gonna go black top though as I love the look

it started the day like this

now stripped and undergoing a couple of binding repairs before finish sanding

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    not far off ready for paint now

Back to black.  

Gonna keep all the plastics black this time too.

I haven't done grainfilling on this beyond some sanding sealer.... I want the lacquer to sink in as it ages.  Just needs a lot of clear now
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Really nice @WezV     I see what you mean about carved black tops! 
    so the back was bright orange from rattle can tinted lacquer... this is full on amber

its now had a few coats of a much subtler amber.  The grain looks much nicer for it, and its got back the nice shimmer good honduran can have

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    That's lovely
    buffed to a soft satiny kind of level - like VOS i guess, just trying different things out

i'm kinda tempted by a torty guard too.   I know that will split the crowd

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7060
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

Any 'guard at all will be frowned upon by some here :)

It would have to be a black one for me. The guitar isn't fancy enough to stand a bound torty 'guard which would be my second choice.
    and the back - ignore the cavity for now. This guitars been re-wired so many times i should probably start from scratch .I suppose I can trim  the pickup leads now these are staying in there

WezV said:

Any 'guard at all will be frowned upon by some here :)

It would have to be a black one for me. The guitar isn't fancy enough to stand a bound torty 'guard which would be my second choice.
    i probably have a 5-ply black one I can try, and a more orangey tort one somewhere.  I also have an engraved aluminum one 

I think it will either be torty guard with amber knobs or black guard with black knobs.  Agree a bound one would be too fancy  It's drilled for a guard anyway, whether it stays on is another thing