Build thread: Pancake body les paul deluxe

What's Hot

Comments

• SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    No harm in sticking to what you know, often makes the difference between first class and world class.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    I could never be accused of sticking to what I know ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I now have a couple of coats of sanding sealer on the body -  I brush this on rather than spray.  I can be quite liberal with it and once sanded back it will leave a nice surface ready for thin coats from the spray cans

You can see the grain has not been filled - i want this to be a bit grainy

Now i just need to decide whether to colour the back and sides or not - the back is quite pale so some amber would warm it up nicely

but the sides against the binding and top look pretty great

I have pretty much decided I am sticking with the blacktop.   I could go chasing a more oxblood colour and complain about the paint mix but tbh it looks great as it is, so why bother
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    It looks amazing, Wez.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited January 2016
    i got the amber on the back sides and neck done today - still needs clear coating but that may wait a few weeks now

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That's looking lovely, @WezV. What clear coat are you going for?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2016

@WezV amazing craftmanship and I followed all of this fairly easily.  The only bit I don't get is how you did the neck joint.  I assume you made the tenon on the neck parallel to the fretboard and mounted the body on a table and then made an angled overhead router jig for the body rout recess to accommodate the neck, then measured the depth of the neck tenon and set the router accordingly minus the fretboard depth?

And the other thing was the body binding rout.  Did you do that with the body on it's flat side on the router table with a bearing bit?

Still, a hell of a lot of craftsmanship though eh.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    That's pretty much it

except no fancy routing technique.... I used an angle jig similar to this - the neck pocket template was attached to the frame, my frame was the same thickness as the front edge of the guitar body so it pretty much aligned itself to the 4 degree neck angle plan i had already added to the top, but i double checked the angle again at this point

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     missed the binding ledge question.

Most LP builds i have seen do this after the carve using something like this

the the stew-mac version, and there are simpler DIY version but the basic idea is the same, the router can more up and down and will follow the contours

I went a different way, i do want one of those at some point but i decided I would make do without.   I routed the binding ledge whilst the top was still flat, before i started doing the contour map.  This works for everything except the bit inside the cutaway

the ledge was cut when the body was at this stage

you can see it here

i have this router set for binding - router just sits straight on top of the guitar body

because its all been done pre-carve i hhad to be careful not to touch the edges when doing the carve - but it worked out well

once carved i went back with a different stew-mac binding tool that attaches to a dremel just to do that bit in the cutaway

I hate that tool, its not very accurate, but it helped get me to this stage

edited January 2016
    so its all at finishing stages at this point  - last (hopefully) coats are on and it will now hang for a few weeks to cure.

it all looks orange peely and horrible at this stage but I thought I would show it anyway - warts and all.  The good news is - no temperature issues whilst spraying and no blush at all

the binding edge is actually very neat - but the orange peel make it look all over the place at the moment.  

and its current hanging place for the next few weeks

also - pickups are ordered :)
    It has to be said, Wez... That picture of it hanging on the wall is somewhat Dali-esque!! :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It made me think I should make a giant clock with les Paul's for hands
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    WezV;930764" said:
    It made me think I should make a giant clock with les Paul's for hands
    Make me one with basses for hands while you're at it.

edited January 2016
    its had a few weeks curing - now desperately needs levelling and buffing.   But the parts are now mostly here so I thought a pic was needed

still need to sort out some mounting brackets for the pickups too, but I have some thin aluminium bar to cut and drill for the pickup bolts 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 509
    It's OK I guess :)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    so before i get onto buffing I have done a coat of graphite shielding paint.  I have not used this stuff before, always used copper sheet.  It will probably have another coat after buffing and before wiring

this is much easier than the copper sheet, not sure why it took me so long to try it.   I decided to put a bit of extra shielding inside the resoglass build too

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thats an awesome Wez Paul ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thats an awesome Wez Paul ;-)
    It nearly happened, I was going to get a decal made

Anyway, I have been levelling and started buffing,   I did 400, 600, 800 and 1200 grit wet and dry followed by a quick buff with T-cut and a microfibre cloth.   I need to go back and repeat the last 2 steps in a few places, and will then give it a final polish with some finer compound.   I have only buffed the top, may go for more of a stain sheen on the back and sides

Its actually looking a little bit more oxbloody.  okay, I may be imagining it, but its less totally black than it was  ;)

so hard to get good pics of a black guitar.  I won'y say it's perfect, but I am very happy with the way its coming together

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Man, that's nice.