PuppyAS

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    I really wanted Bracken to have Harringtons as the supermarket sells it here, and it's loads cheaper than Burns, but she just wouldn't eat it, same with Autauky (spelling?) but their kibbles were hard as pebbles, Burns at £27 for 7kg hits the pocket a bit, BUT, most good pet shops do the Burns loyalty card where you buy 7 and get the 8th free.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30214
    Lady BMcH has suggested http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ - lots of analysis and information on a wide range of dog food.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We tried them all ( pedigree, Iams, JWB, Wainwrights) and eventually settled on Harringtons or Tony Harrington's as its known in our house. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2016
    We use Burns here too, the place you buy from should hold a card for you and every 7th or 8th bag you buy from them is free.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    That all about dog food website is very good - I can see me spending hours trawling through that at some point in the near future! 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

We used to give our Rotties 'Dr Johns. They absolutely loved it, and because it is for 'working' dogs, it was VAT free...not sure if it still is, as I haven't bought it for a while.

Bit of news though...which gives me smiley face, is that we should be getting our new dog this weekend. A 7 month old rescue rottie

:D
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Sprocket had her first vet visit today. She's now 8.6Kg - there was a family there with their Cockapoo, also 10 weeks old, and it was about the size of Sprocket's head. She made a lot of friends, got vaccinated and micro-chipped and behaved very well.

Then this afternoon we mostly convinced her that the vacuum cleaner is boring, and being brushed is only mild torture.
  • Sporky said:
    Sprocket had her first vet visit today. She's now 8.6Kg - there was a family there with their Cockapoo, also 10 weeks old, and it was about the size of Sprocket's head. She made a lot of friends, got vaccinated and micro-chipped and behaved very well.

Then this afternoon we mostly convinced her that the vacuum cleaner is boring, and being brushed is only mild torture.
    If you're lucky, she won't get much bigger than 30kg-ish. Our Coco's blasted past 45kg and shows no sign of stopping with the growth spurts any time soon...the problem being that she still acts like a puppy. When a dog the size of a small human has crazy o'clock, it can be...challenging ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think she should end up around 27-30kg. Her dad was enormous but her mum was typical size for the breed.

That still seems like a lot of dog and fuzz.
  • Sporky said:
    I think she should end up around 27-30kg. Her dad was enormous but her mum was typical size for the breed.

That still seems like a lot of dog and fuzz.
    Do they blow their coats like huskies and Akitas? Last time Coco blew hers, we could've made another dog every couple of days.
    <space for hire>
    I don't think so, and so far she's barely shed either. Which is a relief because there's a lot of fur there.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    We've just discovered our dog likes being hoovered. :) That should save an awful lot of clearing up. With him and two cats in the house, we normally get a big amount of furry tumbleweed about the place.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    joneve said:
    Errr, you comfy Poppy?

By the gods, that's cute.
    Sprocket has outgrown her hat a little.

First bath (with us) today. She's still stinky, but in a less "trampy" way. More "rotty".
    We've still not bathed Poppy - should be interesting :-|
    I think it's probably sensible to try it fairly early on. Sprocket wasn't too bad with the bath itself (used the shower rather than filling the tub) and seemed to like being dried with a towel, but really did not make friends with the hair dryer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    I think it's probably sensible to try it fairly early on. Sprocket wasn't too bad with the bath itself (used the shower rather than filling the tub) and seemed to like being dried with a towel, but really did not make friends with the hair dryer.
    :D luckily Poppy doesn't have a coat that would need hair drying. I'd be surprised if she was even phased by being in the bath - she gives zero fucks about anything else regardless of how daunting it should be. She even made friends with the Dyson and now plays with it whenever I'm trying to hoover the house. 
    Sprocket alternates between trying to defend us from the vacuum cleaner or trying to play with it. We're gradually teaching her that the vacuum cleaner is utterly boring. Progress is slow.
    Sporky said:
    Sprocket alternates between trying to defend us from the vacuum cleaner or trying to play with it. We're gradually teaching her that the vacuum cleaner is utterly boring. Progress is slow.
    Our current thing is to teach Poppy not to jump up on the sofa (which is now easy for her to do) - she knows that the kitchen top (next to the sofa and her crate) is where we keep her "training treats" (just her food kibbles mainly) after she got up there once and ate them all. So she jumps up every time we aren't looking - knowing full well she's not allowed! You can see the guilt all over her face :D