PuppyAS

What's Hot

Comments

• joneve said:
    Sporky said:
    Sprocket alternates between trying to defend us from the vacuum cleaner or trying to play with it. We're gradually teaching her that the vacuum cleaner is utterly boring. Progress is slow.
    Our current thing is to teach Poppy not to jump up on the sofa (which is now easy for her to do) - she knows that the kitchen top (next to the sofa and her crate) is where we keep her "training treats" (just her food kibbles mainly) after she got up there once and ate them all. So she jumps up every time we aren't looking - knowing full well she's not allowed! You can see the guilt all over her face :D 
    We lost that battle within 5 minutes of bringing Coco home. She came in, said "hi" to the other two dogs and instantly found the most comfortable seat in the house.

This, apparently, is a breed trait.

<space for hire>
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Had our first walk this morning. Went pretty smoothly! Poppy's still not really allowed in grassy/damp areas or areas with a lot of water until her last round of jabs but even so, we have some nice pathways that she pee'd and crapped on this morning. She even managed to heel and walk next to the wife by the end of the 15 minute walk (first 10 was OH MY GOD I'M OUTSIDE. WHATS THAT? WHATS THAT!?...etc etc..)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a handy tip from our trainer - these things are absolute magic:

We tend to buy a few packs at a time - all three of ours will basically do anything for them. They're inch-and-a-half squares, but you only break a small piece off at a time. That makes them excellent for a bit of encouragement while you're out and about (because they don't leave crumbs in your pocket, but they're easy enough to fish out quickly). Very easy on the stomach too, if your pup has a dodgy gut.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    We have Coachies for when serious bribing is in order - they're like a roll-on deodorant but filled with bacon or chicken essence.

Normally I'd be concerned about sugar and such but she gets a tiny, tiny amount with each lick. I think it's 2 calories per 8 licks, and Sprocket gets two or three licks a go. Mostly we train her from her food allowance.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    We have Coachies for when serious bribing is in order - they're like a roll-on deodorant but filled with bacon or chicken essence.

Normally I'd be concerned about sugar and such but she gets a tiny, tiny amount with each lick. I think it's 2 calories per 8 licks, and Sprocket gets two or three licks a go. Mostly we train her from her food allowance.
    This - we keep a bit back and she loves it. I think the whole being outside for the first time was a bit overwhelming as she was totally fine by the end of the walk. We'll see how tonight goes in the rain. 
    This was Sprocket yesterday. The floor tiles are normal 500mm squares. ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    This was Sprocket yesterday. The floor tiles are normal 500mm squares. ;)

"Honey, I think we're gonna need a bigger sofa. Or possibly house."
    <space for hire>
    We've got her booked into evening classes starting the week after next.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    woodwork? flower arranging? 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Bricklaying and philosophy, alternate weeks.

I need to find her a copy of Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Beagle" in advance.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yesterday was the first day Sprocket was allowed out into the Big Wide World.

A tentative wander 20m or so down the road went fairly well, then I had a parcel to post so off to the village Post Office. I mentioned that there was a puppy outside (Lady BMcH was in charge of Sprocket, or vicey-versey, hard to tell) and there was a near stampede to go and meet her.

Then to Puppy Club at the pet supplies place (as in a pet shop but it doesn't sell animals), which was a little boisterous but no blood shed. She was very popular there too - seems everyone loves Old English Sheepdogs, so I'm not sure why there are so few of 'em. Probbly the grooming I s'pose.

This morning she was still silent at 6am (normally the furry alarm clock goes off at ten to six) and got a walk on the green at the middle of the estate, met her first adult dog, saw some ducks... and then conked out for four hours.

Lady BMcH is currently teaching her to leave things on the floor.
    Nap-time this morning. V elegant as always.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And surveying the destruction she hath wrought upon the garden.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sprocket's been suffering a bit with the heat, so on Saturday she went off to see Aunty Scissors (as we call the groomer).

Saturday morning:

http://www.groomthatdog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/036-OES-3.jpg

Saturday afternoon:

http://www.groomthatdog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/036-OES-4.jpg

Sprocket is a lot smaller inside than I'd imagined. Only the guard hairs trimmed, her undercoat is untouched.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha! That's amazing! Poppy has been suffering enough with the heat, so I can't imagine how badly Sprocket has been taking it! Does she shed/malt at all? Our is the worst, but we bought a FURminator brush last week which seems to be helping to reduce the dead hairs. 

How's your training gone mate? We seem to have finally turned a corner with Poppy having spent the time and money to go to gun dog specific training with her. She's by no means perfect and still chases after birds, but we can happily let her off the lead and know that if we call her, she's going to (eventually) re-appear and come back. She'll also heel without a lead if we tell her (yet won't do it with a lead on...bellend)

Generally she's becoming an all round awesome dog. This was her after a day at doggy day care (which she absolutely loves). Very lady-like. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    edited July 2016
    Dennis is doing a lot of lazing about in this heat (for a change). Here he is having a quick tidy (after he decided to launch himself into a load of sticky buds!)

Woof

They look so different after a haircut though... :)
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Next doors dog is going to have diving lessons from my roof if the ferking thing don't stop barking 5 hours a day non stop  #shutthatfuckingdogup

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lovely dog Andi. 
    oaf said:
    Dennis is doing a lot of lazing about in this heat (for a change). Here he is having a quick tidy (after he decided to launch himself into a load of sticky buds!)

Woof

They look so different after a haircut though... :)
    Literally the bane of our life. Poppy likes to hunt in the bushes and flush out birds (obviously, it's what spaniels do), and gets covered in the bastards! :D
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    joneve said:
    oaf said:
    Literally the bane of our life. Poppy likes to hunt in the bushes and flush out birds (obviously, it's what spaniels do), and gets covered in the bastards! :D
    And you think you've got them all out.. and then...