Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Critics said that a second-rate team from a minor footballing nation would never achieve anything in these finals.

But hey, holding Slovakia to a 0-0 draw is not to be sniffed at.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Critics said that a second-rate team from a minor footballing nation would never achieve anything in these finals.

But hey, holding Slovakia to a 0-0 draw is not to be sniffed at.

Ha!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    really pleased for Wales.. great result..

if England gets Iceland in the next game they can expect more of the same

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    Excellent Wales result but Russia were a mess. But I think Wales could really do something as Bale/Ramsey/Allen look v. good.
    Not too bad for England against a team of defenders - organised, some decent chances. 
    I hope Eng get Portugal next, purely for revenge purposes.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10012
    Wales should have been 5-0 ahead there at least. Best I've seen them play for a *long* time. Big day on Saturday, we've reached Paris!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

I don't think there was any danger of Slovakia scoring. I'd like to see Rashford also, he's an unknown quantity to many and could freshen things up slightly.

Stallings header back to Hart was a big chance for them, if he connects properly that's a goal and you're out.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I'm Welsh! And dry! K!

Long day in work to no row

Rip of tj groouuuuooop!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:

I don't think there was any danger of Slovakia scoring. I'd like to see Rashford also, he's an unknown quantity to many and could freshen things up slightly.

Stallings header back to Hart was a big chance for them, if he connects properly that's a goal and you're out.....
    Would probably still got through on 4 points and faced Germany.

Roy's picked lots of Spurs and Leicester players so he should look at how their teams play which is fast counter attacking football. Leicester play good old 4-4-2 which is becoming popular again in Europe. But Roy decides England should play like a continental side ... he should play as if he's managing a Premier League side.

England were so ponderous that the Slovak players could casually walk back in defence, stop off for a cold energy drink and a chat on the half way line, while England zipped the ball left and right, and still arrive in defence before England have taken a shot. And I have no idea why England bother taking corners ... 99% were taken by the keeper or headed away by defenders. Even when we attacked the quality of the crosses was appalling - lots of over-hit balls, or hit near the keeper. Queue Hoddle with some top draw Twaddle .. "the boy's finding his range" as Rooney thinks he's playing Rugby for England and kicks an excellent Gary Owen into row Z ... how many bad kicks does someone need to find their range?

Rule one on goal scoring: work out who your strikers are and make sure they get the sort of passes that give them a chance of putting the ball into the goal as that's the object of the game. And make sure sure people run off the ball to stretch defences and pull defenders out of position - too many England players stood there ball watching.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    It's actually not that bad for England to end up second in the group. They'll probably have Hungary or Iceland in the next round whereas Wales could conceivably end up with Croatia.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    It's actually not that bad for England to end up second in the group. They'll probably have Hungary or Iceland in the next round whereas Wales could conceivably end up with Croatia.
    More likely Portugal who have a good track record against us. Iceland would be tough. They'll just park 11 players in the goal area and wait for penalties.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Not that long before the tournament Russia would have had one of the best midfields in the competition. They have basically lost their midfield to injury.
    If you have one big strength and lose it you're going to suffer.
    Wales certainly showed England how to do it though. Fair play.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Really pleased for Wales. Great result and they fully deserve to top the group. Fantastic.

As for England, they were unlucky, but our Roy really does need to decide on his best 11, and how they are going to play. Arguably he should have done this some time ago.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    Watching that second Wales goal again- it really is some of the worst defending I've ever seen from an international team. Where was the right back???
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    More likely Portugal who have a good track record against us. Iceland would be tough. They'll just park 11 players in the goal area and wait for penalties.
    that's exactly what I was thinking…
    or, they'll let you have the ball, defend like it's the Alamo, then have one counter attack, one shot and score one goal..
    then shut up shop again..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    England 5 points and dominating in every game. I'd have taken that before the start.

3 teams have effectively played with 9 or 10 behind the ball not to lose. England have struggled to break them down and had no space at all but still created chances.

Could be a lot worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I'm so going to enjoy work today!
    Well done Wales, so proud of them and great to them doing so well for once
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3096
    I don't get all the negativity surrounding England.

They've absolutely dominated two sides (Russia and Slovakia) and all the time looked like they could move up another gear.  
    The problem has been the lack of a killer pass from midfield - we're crying out for a Fat Frank or Gerrard in that department.  
    Maybe my expectations are lower than others but I think we've played well in all three games so far, haven't lost a competitive game for years and are doing OK in my book....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    lloyd said:

Half chance, the only one I can remeber in the whole game. Sure, any team you play could score, but they were set up for a draw and didn't risk anything by pushing forward. It was the most negative if the 3 games, at least wales tried to push forward on the break, Slovakia had almost no attacking intent which made it even harder to find any space.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:

Would probably still got through on 4 points and faced Germany.

Roy's picked lots of Spurs and Leicester players so he should look at how their teams play which is fast counter attacking football. Leicester play good old 4-4-2 which is becoming popular again in Europe. But Roy decides England should play like a continental side ... he should play as if he's managing a Premier League side.

How can you play counter attacking football against a team that don't attack? Leicester generally have lowish posession so have space to run into, England were playing a team camped out in their own penalty area. You can't counter attack that. You're not going to give the ball away purposfully at that level to encourage a high pace premiership type game. I think things will look better in attack as we play the better teams, although that's probably when our defense will be found out.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Wholesale England chnages and the same side-to-side rubbish.  Didn't see the point of Vardy - when they gave him the ball he looked a real threat - but they only gave him the ball twice. Sturridge and Clyne worked hard, but there was nobody to convert the chances they made. I don't buy this domination waffle, England can't score.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback