Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    That was probably the worst England performance if not ever, then, since the reign of Graham Taylor.
    We were beaten by a better team who we totally underestimated and defended like children against. Why was Rooney marking a player a good 3 inches taller than him, Kane taking free kicks from wide positions and why oh why do we have the usual Tottenham bias in the England team.
    Even the commentators were at it, describing Iceland as a small island, it's got a bigger land mass than Scotland!

If France don't get a wake up call from this game then they'll be headed for exit door as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    That was probably the worst England performance if not ever, then, since the reign of Graham Taylor.
    We were beaten by a better team who we totally underestimated and defended like children against. Why was Rooney marking a player a good 3 inches taller than him, Kane taking free kicks from wide positions and why oh why do we have the usual Tottenham bias in the England team.
    Even the commentators were at it, describing Iceland as a small island, it's got a bigger land mass than Scotland!

If France don't get a wake up call from this game then they'll be headed for exit door as well.
    Being serious I don't think they were the better team. England had a lot more possession and at one point Iceland couldn't get out of their half. It was clear some of our players were in a different class but we couldn't score. England had chances to score but the finishing was pitiful.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

In fairness, the population of Iceland is 330,000 which is what they're refering to.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Well that was just fucking embarrassing. (again)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    Fretwired said:

Being serious I don't think they were the better team. England had a lot more possession and at one point Iceland couldn't get out of their half. It was clear some of our players were in a different class but we couldn't score. England had chances to score but the finishing was pitiful.
    Nope, I don't agree - you've got be able to defend well to win any game. Iceland were the better team and created the clearer opportunities. At no point did it seem clear to me that our players were a class above Iceland.
    Is this the worst performance/result by any England team ever?

I'm struggling to think of any worse to be honest.

Last World Cup was a bad show but you had a tough group.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's as bad as any since South Africa
    My V key is broken
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    As there's no actual football for two days...

The half time rest and turnaround goes back to the early days of football (apparently before the days of set rules they would play by one team's rules in the first half and the other 's in the second). For TV purposes it would be hard to get rid of the half time break but I'm not sure why at a pro level they need to change ends. Fans are sectioned to one end or the other so if there was no changing of ends then there might be fewer crowd issues. It would also be less confusing on hilights shows. At an amateur level one end of the pitch might be better than the other but at a pro level that shouldn't be the case.
    There is arguably an advantage of having your crowd of fans next to you when you are in the oppositions half and so forth, I guess.
    Not to mention wind etc. 
    Also if you can't watch a highlights show without being confused, then you have issues.
    There is nothing wrong with penalties as a way of deciding a game. It's a question of skill and nerve under pressure and you cannot say it's not exciting. 
    Agree. I like penalties. It's a test of nerve.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Rocker said:
    Possibly the biggest shock of all time but the English media have, as usual, over hyped the England team. Ooh Ooh
    The only shock is that the pundits all talked this up as the easy option. Iceland put out Holland before the tournament even started and have been extremely hard to beat in the tournament proper... I can see them beating France...

England were Crap but in the case I lay the blame firmly at Roy's door. Like Lancaster in the Rugby, he had the team playing well upto when it mattered. He seemed to have brain freeze and had no idea what his best team was and what tactics they should use, let alone becoming blind to reputation vs form.

And Southgate for next manager? Please no. There has to be someone out there better than him! Another one steeped in failiure.

Worth the FA giving Fergie a call?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    big sigh.....

Its the same old story tbh. For some reason that no-one in the game seems to be able to crack, we are just SHIT.

Last night was appalling apart from short bursts in the first half.

Genuinely, I don't understand how we can be that shit. The players are good enough, individually, mostly. BUt it all seems to go to shite when we field a team.

Harry Kane has played abysmally during thewhole tournament. Why? He's GOOD FFS. He's just one example.

It was plain to see through thw whole tourmanent, that we were poor. We shuold ahve been able to walk that group, but the writing was on the wall during the Russia game.

Have to give Iceland their dues though - they played a perfect game. You notice how every time England had the ball, they were marked heavily, smothered. Crafty and disciplined tactics from the Iceland fellas. That level of close marking takes a lot of sustained discipline. This is something we as a team are lacking - that and football intelligence.

Don't know what Woy said to them at half time, but somehow he managed to destroy the team.

We weren't just poor in this game though, we have been shite for ages. We were rarely impressive during qualification tbh, not if you look back at who we played, and the performances.

Ah well, I hope the Icelandic tale continues, it would be good if they beat France. I admire their attitude and committment.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    edited June 2016
    lloyd;1129418" said:
    Is this the worst performance/result by any England team ever?

I'm struggling to think of any worse to be honest.

Last World Cup was a bad show but you had a tough group.
    Tbh I can't think of a worse England match either. The passing was appalling, Sturridge only ever passed backwards, Kane looked like he'd shat himself, the wingers only got round the back of the defence a couple of times, the man marking in defence was non-existent, Hart looked flappy and clueless.

Where was the pre-match training? They had no game plan, they had no set pieces, it looked like a team that had only just met. Lee Dixon made the point that most of Iceland's goals came from set pieces and England should have trained for that scenario. How come Hodgson and his coaches hadn't noticed that too? They're supposed to be professionals FFS.

Appalling performance for England.
    England's biggest failing for as long as I can remember is picking players then shoehorning them into positions in a formation, rather than picking a formation and putting players into that system that play there week in week out.

This year it's been Rooney to midfield and Sturridge and Vardy playing wide. Roy has to be strong enough to drop players out of the team or even the squad.

In years gone by you've had Gerrard and Lampard being shoehorned into the same team, Scholes out on the left, Gerrard on the wing, it's daft.

Picking 11 of your best players obviously (with hindsight) doesn't work. 

I think possibly the manager don't want to drop certain players as they've had good seasons and the press would tear them a new arsehole if they lost but I think a new approach is needed, it's a team game and a lot of the minnows have shown that this tournament.

They've clearly taken this game too lightly, like many of us did, they assumed it was a foregone conclusion and they only had to turn up.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited June 2016
    I think it showed a level of intelligence and solidarity from the England squad.
    The public voted, the team listened.
    #brexit
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    On the other hand, in this time of turmoil and change it was somewhat comforting to watch the familiar sight of England playing absolutely fucking abysmally
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    It is as simple or as complicated as this: "the international manager decides how he wants the team to play, then he picks the players who can play that way".

Allowing the press or the TV pundits to influence the team or squad selection, results in guaranteed failure.

Even caring what the press or the TV pundits write or say about the manager or his team also results in guaranteed failure.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
    Looks like my team can take some of the credit for last night......

http://www.sbtv.co.uk/news/sport-news/euro-2016-the-surprising-history-of-icelands-viking-war-chant/
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Wales are in with a fair shout -v- Belgium. As you may recall, I do not think Belgium are a good team. Good individual players yes but not working as a unified force. In the last 16 game, Hazard could have put Lukaku through on goal several times but he did not, choosing to try to score a wonder goal, like Maradonna did -v- England all those years ago. So I think that Wales -v- Belgium could end up with a penalty shootout. All to play for then.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    Tonight we want to make Cristiano Ronaldo weep... 

Come on Poland!!! ;-)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Tonight we want to make Cristiano Ronaldo weep... 

Come on Poland!!! ;-)
    I'll drink to that  :D 
    Come on Poland, for all my Polish mates and for all those that have been given shit off the minority of cunts in this country. And to make Ronaldo cry of course. Come on Polska.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom