EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    hugbot said:

Came of age in the recession and aren't keen on 3+ more years of it?
    So leaving will extend austerity, or otherwise reduce the prospects for growth - isn't that what Remain have been telling us?

I'm genuinely curious - if extending the registration deadline is a government conspiracy, what's the logic behind it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if we remain, we might find ourselves in the same situation as West Germany after reunification - where 65m West Germans still pay an extra 5.5% income tax to help rebuild (the much smaller - only 12.5m people) East Germany. So far they have paid more than 2000 billion Euros.

What if we were compelled by voters in poor, bankrupt South and Eastern Europe to pay an extra 10% income tax permanently, to pay to bring their countries up to UK standards - How many of us would be happy to do that? Turkey is on the list for inclusion soon - that is a country with a large population than the UK, and huge poverty
    As far as I'm aware, Turkey has a long way to go before even being considered for inclusion. And that's ahead of even one member state veto'ing it, and I'm guessing at least one will. Ergo, no deal.

At least, that's how I'm reading the lay of the land. If I'm wrong, feel free to edumacate me.
    Even if it's 10 years or 20, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35832035
    can I return you to my main point - are you happy to leave the UK (e.g. my kids) to potentially be hammered with long-term taxes to upgrade countries over 1000 miles away?
    Even if you disregard the veto, which from the article you posted seems like Holland would also use, there's the small matter of all the chapters that Turkey has yet to adhere to. 1 out of 37, in the decades they've been trying to get in.

If, in 10-20 years time they can prove they've built a stable economy, with equitable human rights, and can contribute to the EU on an equal footing whilst keeping the Syrian border secure then why not? Obvs, never going to happen.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    government extends registration deadline to gain more youth remain votes
    unbelievable cheating
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I wonder if we remain, we might find ourselves in the same situation as West Germany after reunification - where 65m West Germans still pay an extra 5.5% income tax to help rebuild (the much smaller - only 12.5m people) East Germany. So far they have paid more than 2000 billion Euros.

What if we were compelled by voters in poor, bankrupt South and Eastern Europe to pay an extra 10% income tax permanently, to pay to bring their countries up to UK standards - How many of us would be happy to do that? Turkey is on the list for inclusion soon - that is a country with a large population than the UK, and huge poverty
    As far as I'm aware, Turkey has a long way to go before even being considered for inclusion. And that's ahead of even one member state veto'ing it, and I'm guessing at least one will. Ergo, no deal.

At least, that's how I'm reading the lay of the land. If I'm wrong, feel free to edumacate me.
    Even if it's 10 years or 20, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35832035
    can I return you to my main point - are you happy to leave the UK (e.g. my kids) to potentially be hammered with long-term taxes to upgrade countries over 1000 miles away?
    Even if you disregard the veto, which from the article you posted seems like Holland would also use, there's the small matter of all the chapters that Turkey has yet to adhere to. 1 out of 37, in the decades they've been trying to get in.

If, in 10-20 years time they can prove they've built a stable economy, with equitable human rights, and can contribute to the EU on an equal footing whilst keeping the Syrian border secure then why not? Obvs, never going to happen.
    and you're confident that the Germans won't bend the rules now to "solve" the non-EU migrant crisis?

They fiddled Greece's entry to the Euro - and that was far less of a crisis
    I'll ask this again - to separate it from Turkey talk:

I wonder if we remain, we might find ourselves in the same situation as West Germany after reunification - where 65m West Germans still pay an extra 5.5% income tax to help rebuild (the much smaller - only 12.5m people) East Germany. So far they have paid more than 2000 billion Euros.

What if we were compelled by voters in poor, bankrupt South and Eastern Europe to pay an extra 10% income tax permanently, to pay to bring their countries up to UK standards - How many of us would be happy to do that? 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5066
    edited June 2016
    government extends registration deadline to gain more youth remain votes
    unbelievable cheating
    How? In the digital age, the window for registering to vote should be up until the absolute last minute it's viable to allow someone to actually then go and vote. i.e. Get their name on the local list at the polling station.

It doesn't benefit either side to deny people the right to vote, how could they know which way they were going to?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    For a campaign which claims to be all about giving Brits their democratic rights back Brexiters seem to be very, very angry at the thought that Britons might actually participate in a vote.

It's almost like they're not that fussed about democracy after all...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    So I've been thinking a little bit about the way the campaigning for this referendum has been going. Firstly I think that it's genuinely good that there are party splits in an issue like this and I think it's unfortunate that the media is trying their hardest to stir up tribal mentality in the wake of what is on the surface an excellent demonstration of how democracy ought to work. Having labour and conservative leaders share platforms on either side is I think a step away from the norm that should be welcomed.

Secondly I can kind of see an argument for some leaders to be campaigning about this, it is after all what they are in positions to do but I kind of feel that if you're not actually in the cabinet you should probably instead be representing your constituents and I'm extremely unconvinced form the news footage I've seen that anyone is taking their views from what is best for their constituency.

As the campaign has gone on I think I've gone from a vote remain as I don't think the leave side has done enough due diligence to straight out vote remain. Rather unsurprisingly it's the economic argument that has swayed me.From what I've seen on my social networks the only vote leavers left are either people for whom particular fringe issues are very important or those who just have a general anti-authoritarian streak.

I'd be pretty surprised if the results don't turn out to be 60% or so in favour of remain.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    ICBM said:
    hugbot said:

Came of age in the recession and aren't keen on 3+ more years of it?
    So leaving will extend austerity, or otherwise reduce the prospects for growth - isn't that what Remain have been telling us?

I'm genuinely curious - if extending the registration deadline is a government conspiracy, what's the logic behind it?
    The thing is both remain and leave have been pulling out economists to say pretty much whatever they want.

So it makes sense to look at what the markets and buisnesses are saying, as their agenda (make money) is transparant at least. And every time someone so much as says "brexit" the pound takes a dive. Its at multi year lows right now because we're *thinking* about leaving, so the prospect of recession triggered by a leave and the uncertainty period of the 2 year messy pullout from the EU sounds very plausible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:
    If the yoof are more likely to vote In, why would that be?
    because they've been brought up with the EU and can't conceive of life outside it?

because they're not old enough or wise enough to know any better?

tbh I don't know for sure but from what I've heard of them being interviewed on R4, the above are two possible explanations
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    @hugbot indeed. incredible amounts of money has already been removed from UK markets in the last few months. I posted a link to a Telegraph article yesterday, here it is again.

£65bn removed from the UK or converted to other currencies in March and April

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/07/investors-pull-cash-out-of-uk-assets-at-fastest-pace-since-finan/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Sambostar said:
    ICBM said:
    Because some of them are stupid, selfish, short sighted and pig ignorant?
    Unlike all older voters who are intelligent, public-spirited, wise and well-educated, presumably…

ICBM said:
    because they've been brought up with the EU and can't conceive of life outside it?

tbh I don't know for sure but from what I've heard of them being interviewed on R4, the above are two possible explanations
    Or because being young, they are more clued up with the media, more willing to do their own research, and not just believe what a bunch of self-serving politicians tell them?

Who knows.

But it is funny that the Leave campaign are crying foul, when it was them who have *actually* been fraudulently manipulating the voter registration, as posted by fretmeister. In case you missed it -

And they haven't even lost yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The youth will vote for whatever view their favourite reality tv star has expressed via their Facebook or Twitter news feed on the morning of June 23rd

For a certain percentage of complete fucking morons, this is what it's come down to
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if we remain, we might find ourselves in the same situation as West Germany after reunification - where 65m West Germans still pay an extra 5.5% income tax to help rebuild (the much smaller - only 12.5m people) East Germany. So far they have paid more than 2000 billion Euros.

and you're confident that the Germans won't bend the rules now to "solve" the non-EU migrant crisis?

They can't do it unilaterally. One member state veto = no.

What if we were compelled by voters in poor, bankrupt South and Eastern Europe to pay an extra 10% income tax permanently, to pay to bring their countries up to UK standards - How many of us would be happy to do that? 
    So Turkey isn't an issue after all?

And I have to say that's one hell of a big "what if?"
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 468
    Apparently Leave are convinced that the registration page was deliberately crashed last night, citing the unusually high amount of traffic on the website. God forbid that democracy should actually be enacted in "the world's oldest democracy."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    jpttaylor said:
    Apparently Leave are convinced that the registration page was deliberately crashed last night, citing the unusually high amount of traffic on the website. God forbid that democracy should actually be enacted in "the world's oldest democracy."
    Why? If after months and months of public money thrown at educating and encouraging people to register to vote you leave it to the last five minutes, and then find the website's busy and crashes I'd say you're to stupid to get a vote. What is it with people in this country? Bet they wouldn't do it booking their summer holiday in the sun.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

They can't do it unilaterally. One member state veto = no.

So Turkey isn't an issue after all?

And I have to say that's one hell of a big "what if?"
    Turkey is an issue.
    It's also an example of an even poorer and more different country than the other in the EU

My question is - are you happy to pay an extra 5% or 10% tax for 30 years to pay to upgrade Greece, the A8 (Eastern Europe), Spain, Portugal, etc?
    ICBM said:

Because they have been told that the EU brought them freedom and justice

As I understand, holiday or business travel to other parts of Europe were not possible before the EU 
    Also the EU invented free wifi, or sponsored it, or something
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I hate uncle psychosis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom