EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Sporky said:
    Sambostar said:
    In my world, everyone would be self employed.
    I don't think that'd be efficient.

Companies are good abstraction layers; I'm a lot more productive when I can concentrate on the things I'm good at.
    I agree with you @Sporky. If I were a self-employed software engineer I'd be doing accounts, looking for my next contract and all the crap that goes with it, instead of spending 100% of my working time on software engineering (well, less the few minutes I spend on this site ;) ) Frankly, I don't want to be bothered with accounts, marketing etc, I just like brewing up software.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    Sambostar said:
    Why do they always make you use pencil at the polling booths?
    So they can rub it out and fill in the right answer later, of course!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13367
    Ipsos Mori poll shows economists overwhelmingly back Remain - 88% believe Brexit would negatively affect GDP in short term and 72% in long
    term.

Still, Boris Johnson is definitely in this for the greater good so maybe we should take him at his word instead.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3739/Economists-Views-on-Brexit.aspx

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ipsos Mori poll shows economists overwhelmingly back Remain - 88% believe Brexit would negatively affect GDP in short term and 72% in long
    term.

Still, Boris Johnson is definitely in this for the greater good so maybe we should take him at his word instead.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3739/Economists-Views-on-Brexit.aspx

Are these the same people who forecast doom and catastrophe if the UK didn't join the Euro? How many of them saw the banking crash coming? I'd rather flip a coin that take the advice of an economist.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired;1091161" said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

term.

Are these the same people who forecast doom and catastrophe if the UK didn't join the Euro? How many of them saw the banking crash coming? I'd rather flip a coin that take the advice of an economist.
    Brexit in a nutshell: insult anyone who says anything you don't like and put your faith in blind luck instead.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    Leave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    UnclePsychosğis;1091169" said:

[quote="Fretwired;1091161"]UnclePsychosis said:

term.

Brexit in a nutshell: insult anyone who says anything you don't like and put your faith in blind luck instead.

[/quote]

Er, except @fretwired is completely factually correct as a matter of known evidence. He's not postulating a theory he's just stating economic history!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25507
    Well, it looks like there's money to be made trafficking people across the channel.  I wonder how long it'll be before they start dying on our shores ?  Now that's something that isn't going to change whether we're in or out.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Fretwired;1091161" said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

term.

No

Chalky;1091225" said:
    [quote="UnclePsychosğis;1091169"]

term.

[/quote]

Er, except @fretwired is completely factually correct as a matter of known evidence. He's not postulating a theory he's just stating economic history![/quote]

Err, except saying you'd take a coin toss over their opinion is insulting to professional economists and trusting to blind luck.

Swing and a miss, champ.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    UnclePsychosis;1091169" said:

term.

[/quote]

Actually that's uncle psychosis in a nutshell
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;1091276" said:
    [quote="UnclePsychosis;1091169"]

term.

[/quote]

Actually that's uncle psychosis in a nutshell[/quote]

My insults tend to be evidence based, but thank you all the same.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    insulting to professional economists
    Well, you could try "insulting" them. Or you could just point out that none of them have ever accurately predicted anything, and that if you asked n economists for the solution to a problem they'd give you as minimum of n different answers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited May 2016
    This was actually in my economics course:

Fuck it, this forum never works. Try googling "assume a can opener".
    edited May 2016
    Well, you could try "insulting" them. Or you could just point out that none of them have ever accurately predicted anything, and that if you asked n economists for the solution to a problem they'd give you as minimum of n different answers.
    Ipsos Mori took n = 639 of them. 

And, instead of 639 different answers, 88% of them "thought it most likely that real GDP would be negatively impacted in the next 5 years, if the UK left the EU and the single market. 4% thought GDP would be positively impacted over the same time period and the 7% thought GDP would be broadly unaffected." 

If that wasn't bad enough for Brexit, 73% of the 639 thought "that real household incomes in the UK would be lower over the next 10 to 20 years, if the UK left the EU and the single market. This compares with 10% who thought that incomes would rise and 13% who thought that incomes would be broadly unaffected."

So, economists are overwhelmingly against Brexit.

Scientists and Universities are overwhelmingly against Brexit

Immigrants are a net benefit to the UK economy and have "no negative effect on UK wages", thus demolishing another Brexit myth. 

Still, you guys carry on putting your fingers in your ears. "La la la la la, not listening, nasty economists, nasty scientists, nasty germans, la la la la la"....

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    I'm STILL undecided, and voted thus in the poll; was thinking "In" but keep on hearing almost-convincing arguments for "Out" (I cannot STAND the "Br****" word!).

However.  If we stay in and it turns to shit, we can always leave in the future.  But if we leave and it turns to shit, there is no way in hell that they'll ever let us rejoin in a thousand years.

And, for that reason (amongst others), I'm thinking "In" again.

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited May 2016
    I'm OUT!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    neko-trap-maid
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Ipsos Mori took n = 639 of them. 

And, instead of 639 different answers, 88% of them "thought it most likely that real GDP would be negatively impacted in the next 5 years, if the UK left the EU and the single market. 4% thought GDP would be positively impacted over the same time period and the 7% thought GDP would be broadly unaffected." 

If that wasn't bad enough for Brexit, 73% of the 639 thought "that real household incomes in the UK would be lower over the next 10 to 20 years, if the UK left the EU and the single market. This compares with 10% who thought that incomes would rise and 13% who thought that incomes would be broadly unaffected."

So, economists are overwhelmingly against Brexit.

Scientists and Universities are overwhelmingly against Brexit

Immigrants are a net benefit to the UK economy and have "no negative effect on UK wages", thus demolishing another Brexit myth. 

Still, you guys carry on putting your fingers in your ears. "La la la la la, not listening, nasty economists, nasty scientists, nasty germans, la la la la la"....

I'm voting 'Out' just to piss you off!

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited May 2016
    Undecided vote....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.