EU Referendum Vote - Poll

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    tedious and frustrating.

Welcome to my world - dealing with the likes of you for nigh on 3 years and counting. Constant derailment, constant piss-taking, facepalming, LOLstalking, and general passive aggressive knobhead behaviour.

Say what you want about the Leave camp... at least the people here are standing by their words.

If I could cause a plague of locusts to attack every single person on this website, I would do it twice over and laugh both times. This website is the epitome of linguistic cancer. I'm just here to enjoy the fireworks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited May 2016

I really don't like this 'You are only educated or intellectual if you vote to remain' bullshit.  It's the same do as I say rhetoric that the Tories and Labour have used for the last two decades.  To say it is offensive is an understatement.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13038
    Drew_fx said:
    tedious and frustrating.

Welcome to my world - dealing with the likes of you for nigh on 3 years and counting. Constant derailment, constant piss-taking, facepalming, LOLstalking, and general passive aggressive knobhead behaviour.

I'll give you the passive aggressive knobhead, but definitely pleading not guilty on the others.

I don't think either of us come across great in print. I'm sure over a pint we could call each other names and it would all be fine :P

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    tedious and frustrating.

I'll give you the passive aggressive knobhead, but definitely pleading not guilty on the others.

I don't think either of us come across great in print. I'm sure over a pint we could call each other names and it would all be fine :P

I'm sure we'd get on like a convent on fire! HAIL SAYTUN!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Proddie Satan or Cafflick Satan?

You can take the boy out of Glasgow...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Why do the Irish and Scots constantly go on about the differences between Prods and Caffs ?? They're both shite to me!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited May 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    Why does the Irish and Scots constantly go on about the differences between Prods and Caffs ?? They're both shite to me!
    But they're shite to each other, they can tell the difference even if you can't. It's a bit like racist idiots like me claiming that all Chinese people look the same. Once you get to know a few of them you realise they don't. An atheist like you will look at both religions and say there's no "God" so what are they arguing about, it's all the same to me. That it may well be, it just isn't to them.

EDIT The first sentence was probably a bit harsh. Let's just say they disagree with each other.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Drew_fx said:
    Why does the Irish and Scots constantly go on about the differences between Prods and Caffs ?? They're both shite to me!
    But they're shite to each other, they can tell the difference even if you can't. It's a bit like racist idiots like me claiming that all Chinese people look the same. Once you get to know a few of them you realise they don't. An atheist like you will look at both religions and say there's no "God" so what are they arguing about, it's all the same to me. That it may well be, it just isn't to them.

EDIT The first sentence was probably a bit harsh. Let's just say they disagree with each other.
    Er.. no.

Being Chinese is not something anyone can change, thus grouping and judging people on that basis is twatty and racist.

Being religious, Catholic, Protestant, or otherwise *IS* something you can change, with only a little bit of education... and thus grouping and judging on that basis (IE: the basis of irrational beliefs in religion) is perfectly acceptable.
    Drew_fx;1092107" said:
    Why do the Irish and Scots constantly go on about the differences between Prods and Caffs ?? They're both shite to me!
    In Scotland at least it's become almost entirely a tribal thing and nothing much to do with religious belief. In the past I think there was more actual God involved.

Moronic Old Firm supporters (and a select other few) use it as another excuse to hate each other. However, if you asked any of them detailed questions about Catholicism or what really happened in Irish history (Sevco supporters are fond of King Billy, for some reason or other) almost none of them have a clue.

It's utterly tragic behaviour and shames us all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;1092107" said:
    In Scotland at least it's become almost entirely a tribal thing and nothing much to do with religious belief. In the past I think there was more actual God involved.

Moronic Old Firm supporters (and a select other few) use it as another excuse to hate each other. However, if you asked any of them detailed questions about Catholicism or what really happened in Irish history (Sevco supporters are fond of King Billy, for some reason or other) almost none of them have a clue.

It's utterly tragic behaviour and shames us all.
    I should clarify too that I'm talking about Scots and Irish people that live here in London!! It's fucking nuts. As you say though, tribal bullshit.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Drew_fx I'm not sure you quite understood me. It's not about whether the group you observe can change. I was referring to the perception of the group from the point of view of the person outside the group, and saying that if the person outside the group were to understand them inside it by learning a little about them, then they needn't appear to be all the same.

@UnclePsychosis has a good point though. These days it's more about tribalism and labelling.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    @Drew_fx I'm not sure you quite understood me. It's not about whether the group you observe can change. I was referring to the perception of the group from the point of view of the person outside the group, and saying that if the person outside the group were to understand them inside it by learning a little about them, then they needn't appear to be all the same.
    I understood you perfectly. You didn't understand me. I group Catholics and Protestants together under the banner of Christian idiots precisely because they both cling to the same generalised set of bullshit beliefs. I don't need to be one or the other or even part of the group to understand it. Whereas the same is not true of the Chinese.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    UnclePsychosis;1091975" said:
    Chalky said:

UnclePsychosis;1091897" said:Fretwired said:

The experts can just f**k off. They're irrelevant.

Welcome to Brexit: where you should ignore educated opinion. Even if those experts come from different fields, and have come to the same conclusion for vastly different reasons. The rise of anti-intellectualism is fast becoming a serious threat it seems. See also Donald Trump.

You see yourself as an intellectual?

:))

I wasn't referring to myself. You're not very smart, are you?
    Ooooooh, I can see you now, looking like you've been sucking lemons and holding up a handbag....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    edited May 2016

Fretwired said:
    This debate is simple. Who do you want to govern the UK? Do you want to be part of an EU superstate and do you want the Euro? If we remain we will have to dump the pound and take the Euro to stay at the centre of the EU's decision making machinery - we will be stuck bailing out the likes of Greece, Spain and Portugal. These are facts. Greece will need a bailout in the Autumn.

I don't want the Euro. We don't have the Euro. We will never have the Euro. No politician would dare bring in the Euro. 

I vote Remain. You talk of vested interests in the Remain camp: why are the Leave camp any different? Crispin Odey and Michael Hintze aren't backing Out for philanthropic reasons. It happens that there are far more difficult egregious and intolerable arses on the Leave camp for me to wish to cast any sort of vote for them. At least I have a chance to vote a man like Cameron out of office: what chance do I have of ridding the world of Richard Desmond and Arron Banks?

On the notion of democracy, this is how much Banks values democracy and the vote of the people (and more)...

Fretwired said:
    The experts can just f**k off. They're irrelevant.

Yes they are. In a populist election like this, the experts don't matter a flying fuck. When the Sun finally announces what way it is going to sit over this election, that's the big ball o' fun. If it's Remain, I will be gobsmacked and wondering just what has been promised to Uncle Rupert in return for this stance. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Chalky said:
    Ooooooh, I can see you now, looking like you've been sucking lemons and holding up a handbag....
    What if it's the other way around? 

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    STOP SAYING BREXIT!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Well done @Heartfeltdawn - I was wondering what would trigger Boris' Damascene moment and volte-face and I think Uncle Rupert's decision is it!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    All of this reminds me of something thats doing the rounds on Bookface.

This is all a bit like when you are in a nightclub and one of your mates starts on about it being shit in here and that we should all go somewhere else. He manages to convice your group of mates that this is the best way forwards - by which time you are beginning to believe that the club is a bit shit.

So you push your way out onto the pavement and you turn to your mates and say "so where to"? Much shuffling of feet takes place and lots of shrugging of shoulders, so you wander around for a bit trying to find somewhere that's better. You soon realise that all the other clubs are either closed or full, so you wander back to the "shit" club to try to get back in. The doorman says 'no' as your places have already been taken.

So you find yourself ending the evening in a crappy kabab shop, arguing over who was to blame for ruining the evening.

I think come the 24th, we may all be trying to get into that kebab shop....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    All of this reminds me of something thats doing the rounds on Bookface.

This is all a bit like when you are in a nightclub and one of your mates starts on about it being shit in here and that we should all go somewhere else. He manages to convice your group of mates that this is the best way forwards - by which time you are beginning to believe that the club is a bit shit.

So you push your way out onto the pavement and you turn to your mates and say "so where to"? Much shuffling of feet takes place and lots of shrugging of shoulders, so you wander around for a bit trying to find somewhere that's better. You soon realise that all the other clubs are either closed or full, so you wander back to the "shit" club to try to get back in. The doorman says 'no' as your places have already been taken.

So you find yourself ending the evening in a crappy kabab shop, arguing over who was to blame for ruining the evening.

I think come the 24th, we may all be trying to get into that kebab shop....
    Yeah. Connor posted that. I'm not sure big political decisions can really be boiled down to a guy in a club called Wayne failing to get laid that night.
    And you know what is weird - a good chunk of my friends are not British, nor English. Most of them are Japanese or European - Spanish, Italian, French, Polish.

There is only one guy who would vote remain if he could. The rest of them think that the UK should leave.

I find that kind of odd.