Campaign lies, and consequences

What's Hot

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired said:
    Why? Most people thought Remain had won including me .. Farage threw in the towel at one point only to retract it later.
    Are you asking Why should Leave have had a plan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Troy;1131529" said:
    professorben said:

Troy;1131508" said:professorben said:

As far as I'm concerned every single leave voter has potentially fucked my life up and as such you can all burn in what ever hell you believe in.

Gee, thanks for that! I voted leave and I knew the £350 million a week is not the full story, last I heard is that we get £100 million back from that pot. Anyway, the Remain campaign also lied and exaggerated the figures too!

Yep, you are dog food in my post apocalyptic biker gang future.

Slow handclap

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!

That was a well articulated reply...
    It was faintly humorous in its intention.
    Maybe it didn't come across that way.

I'm upset because my life was going pretty damn well upto Wed last week, now I have future of uncertainty and worry.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired;1131522" said:
    professorben said:

As far as I'm concerned every single leave voter has potentially fucked my life up and as such you can all burn in what ever hell you believe in.

@ professorben Care to explain why?
    My partner is European, her residency is reliant on the free movement of people guarenteed by the EU.
    Her reaction to the recent news of leaving, of the increase in abuse and racist attitudes towards Europeans is to consider going back home, closing down the business we both sweated blood to set up, taking my son with her.
    Leaving me a choice to follow to a country I can't yet speak the language, qualified in an industry that is not regulated in the same way it is here, which, if I COULD get a job in, pays nowhere near what I earn here.
    I am realistically hopeful I can get a manual labour job, paying the equivalent of their minimum wage, obviously I won't be able to claim any benefits, so I will to all intents be emasculated, which I imagine puts terrible strain on a relationship.

All for no good reason I can see, what was so bad? People had jobs that wanted them, economy was doing ok, we had prospects and futures.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Mkjackary;1131547" said:
    professorben said:

As far as I'm concerned every single leave voter has potentially fucked my life up and as such you can all burn in what ever hell you believe in. .....racist bigoted leaver.....

Sambostar said:

Only ill educated  (Most often poor and bigoted) fools vote leave.

bigotˈbɪɡət/nouna person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

hypocrisyhɪˈpɒkrɪsi/noun    the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

irony1ˈʌɪrəni/nounthe expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    Yes I DO look like a Leave voter on paper now don't I!!!!! Lol

I am not bemoaning the fact the side I picked lost, I'm upset that the result has taken the country from a safe place with hope, to a place of uncertainty and doubt.
    hobbio;1131521" said:
    Oh, fuck off! Blame, blame, blame! It's not one or two people that voted Leave, it was over half. I voted Leave, and I now regret it. Perhaps you could talk to the Remain campaigners and ask why they did fuck all except paint people like me as racist dumbasses.
    If the hat fits.........
    People voted for You Know Who after all!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    edited June 2016
    From The Times

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    hobbio;1131521" said:
    Oh, fuck off! Blame, blame, blame! It's not one or two people that voted Leave, it was over half. I voted Leave, and I now regret it. Perhaps you could talk to the Remain campaigners and ask why they did fuck all except paint people like me as racist dumbasses.
    If the hat fits.........
    What does that even mean?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired;1131522" said:
    professorben said:

My partner is European, her residency is reliant on the free movement of people guarenteed by the EU.
    Her reaction to the recent news of leaving, of the increase in abuse and racist attitudes towards Europeans is to consider going back home, closing down the business we both sweated blood to set up, taking my son with her.
    Leaving me a choice to follow to a country I can't yet speak the language, qualified in an industry that is not regulated in the same way it is here, which, if I COULD get a job in, pays nowhere near what I earn here.
    I am realistically hopeful I can get a manual labour job, paying the equivalent of their minimum wage, obviously I won't be able to claim any benefits, so I will to all intents be emasculated, which I imagine puts terrible strain on a relationship.

All for no good reason I can see, what was so bad? People had jobs that wanted them, economy was doing ok, we had prospects and futures.

Sorry to read that. I'd just sit tight as I don't think she'll have to go anywhere. I live in Hertfordshire and without a major influx of EU migrants firms would have gone bust. There's no way migrants will be thrown out of the country. My best guess of what will happen is:

1) The UK remains - Merkel (let's face it she runs the show) gives the UK a migrant cap as a sop and the next PM ignores the referendum.

2) We leave but have free trade deal which will include free movement with maybe a cap above.

An immigration cap would be symbolic. I think there are some people who think 75 million Turks are about to turn up. I think Trump converting to Islam would be more likely to happen.

Anyone who voted leave to reduce immigration will be sorely disappointed as I can't see it being reduced any time soon. I have a friend who is a director of a local recruitment agency - she has loads of jobs and no candidates. So guess what - she advertises in the EU.

The police need to get a handle on racist intimidation though. Make an example of a few of them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired;1131522" said:
    professorben said:

Sorry to read that. I'd just sit tight as I don't think she'll have to go anywhere. I live in Hertfordshire and without a major influx of EU migrants firms would have gone bust. There's no way migrants will be thrown out of the country. My best guess of what will happen is:

1) The UK remains - Merkel (let's face it she runs the show) gives the UK a migrant cap as a sop and the next PM ignores the referendum.

2) We leave but have free trade deal which will include free movement with maybe a cap above.

An immigration cap would be symbolic. I think there are some people who think 75 million Turks are about to turn up. I think Trump converting to Islam would be more likely to happen.

Anyone who voted leave to reduce immigration will be sorely disappointed as I can't see it being reduced any time soon. I have a friend who is a director of a local recruitment agency - she has loads of jobs and no candidates. So guess what - she advertises in the EU.

The police need to get a handle on racist intimidation though. Make an example of a few of them.
    I'm sure if he shows her this it'll put her mind at ease, jesus, come on. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

hobbio;1131590" said:
    professorben said:

hobbio;1131521" said:Oh, fuck off! Blame, blame, blame! It's not one or two people that voted Leave, it was over half. I voted Leave, and I now regret it. Perhaps you could talk to the Remain campaigners and ask why they did fuck all except paint people like me as racist dumbasses.

If the hat fits.........

Short fellow, vegetarian allegedly, silly moustache.
    Not Chaplin.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Troy;1131529" said:
    professorben said:

Troy;1131508" said:professorben said:

Gee, thanks for that! I voted leave and I knew the £350 million a week is not the full story, last I heard is that we get £100 million back from that pot. Anyway, the Remain campaign also lied and exaggerated the figures too!

Yep, you are dog food in my post apocalyptic biker gang future.

Slow handclap

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!

That was a well articulated reply...
    It was faintly humorous in its intention.
    Maybe it didn't come across that way.

I'm upset because my life was going pretty damn well upto Wed last week, now I have future of uncertainty and worry.

It didn't come across as humorous in the slightest!

Anyway, back to your other comment, how do you think all the people outside of the EU manage to marry and settle down here? Can she not ask for rights to settlement? Are you married, would it be safer to get married? 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired;1131522" said:
    professorben said:

I'm sure if he shows her this it'll put her mind at ease, jesus, come on. 
    WTF

Just trying to put a positive spin on things ... I'll just crawl back to my hole and wait for Armageddon.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    professorben;1131596" said:
    [quote="hobbio;1131590"]professorben said:

hobbio;1131521" said:Oh, fuck off! Blame, blame, blame! It's not one or two people that voted Leave, it was over half. I voted Leave, and I now regret it. Perhaps you could talk to the Remain campaigners and ask why they did fuck all except paint people like me as racist dumbasses.

If the hat fits.........

Not Chaplin. [/quote]

So not Voldemort then?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    edited June 2016
    Troy said:

Anyway, back to your other comment, how do you think all the people outside of the EU manage to marry and settle down here? Can she not ask for rights to settlement? Are you married, would it be safer to get married? 

I don't think it's really reasonable to ask that particular question given the current foreigner-hostile environment out there. Sure, it's not like there are mobs out on the street, but (and I know it's surprisingly hard for all of us to get out of the "must...win...Internet...argument" frame of mind - I'm just as guilty of it) put yourself in her position and ask yourself how you'd feel (particularly raising a child in it). 

Does it make you want to work really hard to get citizenship (which won't make any difference to any abuse on the street), or would you consider heading off to the Europe you thought you were already living in?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm sorry everyone, I'm really tired, I'm really stressed and I'm really worried.
    I can't not be with my little boy.
    I have to be a good father figure for him, someone to look up to.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    @professorben I know things are a bit uncertain at the minute and your situation sounds truly horrible,but give it a few weeks before making any hasty decisions,hopefully things MAY have been clarified a bit more.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited June 2016
    Troy said:

I did a little search on this today actually.  From what I can see, the figure is that we pay 18 Bn per year, get 5 Bm back as a rebate and 4Bn in subsidies and grants.  So thats 9 Bn left - we pay roughly twice as much in as we get back.

That equates to around 173 Million per week net to the EU, with only Germany paying more (in net terms). 
    @digitalscream apologies I kinda hijacked your thread, bad form.
    Ignore me.
    Carry on.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    hobbio;1131590" said:
    professorben said:

If the hat fits.........

Not Chaplin.

Did you just imply that I'm a Nazi? Because you're incredibly wrong, and fucking bang out of order. If we're going to stay in then the Remain voters will need a lot more people like me to change their minds and fucking insulting us isn't going to help. Also, voting to leave the EU is not the same as voting someone in to power on the back of a racist manifesto and Germany basically handed power to Hitler even though he didn't technically win.

I'm sorry that you're in a shit situation with your family at the moment, I really am. A big part of what made me realise I was wrong was that I suddenly understood who I'd aligned myself with. There was the tiniest overlap between my politics and Farage's, and the racists (not all Leave voters are racist, but some are), and by voting Leave I'd basically thrown myself in with them. Apart from not wanting ever closer integration I have nothing in common with those people.

Immigration is not something that troubles me, I have friends from the EU living in this country and I have British friends living in Spain, and Germany, and the Netherlands, and France.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
    octatonic said:
    Lying in political office should be a bumming offence.
    It already is.. that's why it's so prevalent B-)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"