Corbyn - I don't get it

What's Hot

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Unions running the Labour Party ....Press Barons and the City running the Tories  ..... it's the Eighties all over gain.  

Last one to leave, please turn off the lights!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Cirrus said:
    Dominic said:
    Hardly the template for a world -revered Statesman.....................if he had to face Putin and others over a G7 type meeting they would think the Council had sent in Health and Safety officer to check the stability of microphone stands !
    On what basis are you making that judgement? I've seen him give some pretty strong speeches, for example, but never seen any of them broadcast on the evening news.
    Is he being deliberately ignored by the media at large? Apart from a couple of feeble thrusts at PMQs I don't think I've heard him utter a single word. I thought maybe he was posing as the strong silent type. In which case he's halfway there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74501
    I like his ideas and his way of approaching issues as not black and white, easy soundbite politics as so many do. He's thoughtful and willing to find compromises, but he's also got strong principles, and is well left of centre (though not 'far left'). So on paper I would want him to hold out, remain as leader and drag the parliamentary party into line with the membership - and I genuinely think a large part of the population would want a real, left-wing alternative to the current right-wing 'consensus', if they really understood how right-wing New Labour became.

But sadly I don't think he's the man to lead Labour. He's too easy to paint as indecisive by being willing to see both sides of an argument (not the same thing), as weak because he's willing to tolerate some dissent (which has come back to bite him) and as unelectable (partly because he's a bit old-fashioned)… so in the media age he is therefore unelectable. He's also failed to effectively attack the Tories on ground where he should have all the advantages as they've fallen apart over the EU, but he was too selfishly principled to fully commit to something he didn't wholeheartedly believe in.

Hopefully his footnote in history will be that he gave the Labour Party a new start after the Blair/Brown years, since Miliband wasn't it - moving on from the excesses of the spin doctors and vacuous New Labour careerists, but making it realise that it does still need to remain purposeful as well as principled or it will never get the chance to put the principles into practice. Otherwise there is no credible opposition at all and we're all the worse for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Still think it's a hoot Corbyn calling for loyalty and unity - when has he ever done either ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    It was quite unnerving to listen to Len McClusky being interviewed on R4 this morning. He exercises control over his union in spite of its membership when it suits him. I have to say I admire a man of conviction (Corbyn), however the wrong conviction is still wrong.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16679
    Corbyn is probably a good political thinker .Putting it into a vernacular that is familiar on this forum ......he may well be the Keyboard player/ song arranger/writer and the talent behind the band BUT he is no Front man or even a lead guitarist . Simples.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    The countrys broke, globalisation has stuffed the world. So if we're going to go down the plughole, lets do it with Corbyn in number 10, just for the comedy value alone.   He might even treat the downing street cat to his very own 2CV and a cat basket emblazoned with 'no nukes for this pussy'.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    So make him the artist-formerly-known-as-Leader? 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    thomasw88 said:
    Socially, he has some good ideas, and it's nice to hear those. Unfortunately, it's entirely unworkable from an economic perspective. 

The problem with much of the left is that they generally believe the solution to everything is just increasing taxes on "the rich", completely forgetting that "the rich" have accountants, and the ability to live and work abroad, taking all of that lovely money with them.
    seeing as you're now in the land of making shit up... The problem with the right is that they tell everyone their lives are getting better when in fact they are getting much much worse unless you're extremely wealthy.
    Not quite sure where you've got that from. Which bit are you actually disagreeing with? 

Social policies tend to be expensive (at least in the short term), and it's generally accepted that increasing the taxes on the richest people doesn't necessarily increase the total amount of tax the government collects in real terms.

I don't deny things are buggered up massively at the moment - i'm certainly not trying to pretend they aren't, but I'm also not making anything up. FWIW I agree with your position on the right- they're a bunch of bastards just as much as the left are a bunch of idiots, with us regular people stuck in the middle wishing we had someone credible to vote for.

I think the bit I disagree with is

"it's generally accepted that increasing the taxes on the richest people doesn't necessarily increase the total amount of tax the government collects in real terms."

One example of that :is that it was widely acknowledged (apart from by the right wing press), that George Osbourne cutting the top band of tax for people over 150k was done far too soon. The reason being that the 50% rate    had not been in place long enough to actually measure its effect on a)revenues and b)the alleged exodus of rich people that was bound to happen once taxes had been put up.

Myranda said:
    No, but would you want Corbyn sat on the other side of a negotiating table with that loon? He'd floss his teeth with Corbyn's spine
    He'd end up choking on a piece of beard. Spluttering and turning purple, Vlad looks around the room, waiting for one of those G7 leaders to come over and perform the Heimlich Manouevre...

Russian Bear, downed by beard. 

I don't really get thie Corbyn negotiating with Putin thing tbh.   The actual likelyhood of ANY of the major politicians really getting involved in the negotiations is virtually zero.. theyr'e just there as a figure head and to take the glory once all the hard work has been done. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2016
    He's a protester, not a leader. Students like to protest, so they like Corbyn Anyway, Labour are tearing themselves apart now, vandalizing each other's offices, http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/12/corbyn-calls-for-calm-angela-eagle-office-attacked-labour-nec-meeting Labour are to be confined to the dustbin of politics. Hopefully a new left-green-liberal party will emerge from the ruins.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Can't seem to get paragraphs working in the new editor .
    Supporters of a pacifist do violence inin his name... Is he Jesus? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:
    Socially, he has some good ideas, and it's nice to hear those. Unfortunately, it's entirely unworkable from an economic perspective. 

The problem with much of the left is that they generally believe the solution to everything is just increasing taxes on "the rich", completely forgetting that "the rich" have accountants, and the ability to live and work abroad, taking all of that lovely money with them.
    seeing as you're now in the land of making shit up... The problem with the right is that they tell everyone their lives are getting better when in fact they are getting much much worse unless you're extremely wealthy.
    Not quite sure where you've got that from. Which bit are you actually disagreeing with? 

Social policies tend to be expensive (at least in the short term), and it's generally accepted that increasing the taxes on the richest people doesn't necessarily increase the total amount of tax the government collects in real terms.

I don't deny things are buggered up massively at the moment - i'm certainly not trying to pretend they aren't, but I'm also not making anything up. FWIW I agree with your position on the right- they're a bunch of bastards just as much as the left are a bunch of idiots, with us regular people stuck in the middle wishing we had someone credible to vote for.

"it's generally accepted that increasing the taxes on the richest people doesn't necessarily increase the total amount of tax the government collects in real terms."

One example of that :is that it was widely acknowledged (apart from by the right wing press), that George Osbourne cutting the top band of tax for people over 150k was done far too soon. The reason being that the 50% rate    had not been in place long enough to actually measure its effect on a)revenues and b)the alleged exodus of rich people that was bound to happen once taxes had been put up.

That's a very good argument, and while I'm fairly confident in the concept of the Lafer curve, I agree that there wasn't enough empirical evidence at the time to advocate its removal. 

That said, I left the UK partly to escape taxation, so I am empirical evidence of the exodus of people, not that I'd call myself rich by a VERY long way!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

That's a very good argument, and while I'm fairly confident in the concept of the Lafer curve, I agree that there wasn't enough empirical evidence at the time to advocate its removal. 

That said, I left the UK partly to escape taxation, so I am empirical evidence of the exodus of people, not that I'd call myself rich by a VERY long way!
    Are you empirical or are you anecdotal? How many of you are you? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    He's a man out of time.

He appears to want to stick with his principles and the party members love him. On the other hand the labour MP's don't appear to want to work with him. So he can't get anything done.

Eagle appears to have some support from the MPs but none from the members so she won't get the job if JC is on the ballot. So she won't get anything done.

As it happens I don't think either of them are electable in a general election. Eagle hasn't got any policies and JC refuses to acknowledge that diplomacy is a game of negotiation that requires compromise.

For any politician of any party having rigid principles usually means never being in a position to act upon them.

Much like the farce of the US Democrats where Sanders supporters are refusing to vote for Clinton, the result will be Labour losing the next election.

And although I really hate that it matters - the 1970s physics teacher look doesn't work in the modern Social Media obsessed world.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    He's a man out of time.

He appears to want to stick with his principles and the party members love him. On the other hand the labour MP's don't appear to want to work with him. So he can't get anything done.

Eagle appears to have some support from the MPs but none from the members so she won't get the job if JC is on the ballot. So she won't get anything done.

As it happens I don't think either of them are electable in a general election. Eagle hasn't got any policies and JC refuses to acknowledge that diplomacy is a game of negotiation that requires compromise.

For any politician of any party having rigid principles usually means never being in a position to act upon them.

Much like the farce of the US Democrats where Sanders supporters are refusing to vote for Clinton, the result will be Labour losing the next election.

And although I really hate that it matters - the 1970s physics teacher look doesn't work in the modern Social Media obsessed world.

The bit I don't fully understand is why he is so unpopular in the PLP.      So I'd expect there is more to that meets the eye.

On the other hand Is he any less electable than Ed Milliband or Gordon Brown for example?  I personally don't think so, and both of them were more Blairite than lefty..

Angela Eagle is not the answer either.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    thomasw88 said:
    thomasw88 said:

It's well documented. The 1960s&1970s had v.high top-rates - all those who could left the country.  Listen to George Harrison's Taxman ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited July 2016
    The appeal of Corbyn could be that trendy lefties are only interested in identity politics and overseas issues.  The young are self absorbed and are social justice twats, and so they love all the identity bollocks.

The Labour party needs focus on the sorts of issues that affect the man on the street.   Gender and sexuality issues are niche matters.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I know a few Corbyn supporters who aren't into identity politics. The policies of this government in particular have been very anti-young people, I think it's natural for them to latch on to anybody who they feel gives them a voice. 
    My V key is broken