Any Dads advice? (Non sleeping baby)

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    What you need now is sleep mate - I wouldn't worry about co-sleep being a bad habit at 10 months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    I have been on the sofa last week and a bit, but he's so loud it wakes me up anyway. 
    Earplugs. They're odd at first, but you really do get good sleep when there's less noise.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106

Mine did the same used to sleep on his back turned him over onto his front and everyone was happy again. So you could try turning them over from whatever the norm is for yours. I seem to remember officially you should only put them on there stomach when they can hold there heads up but quiet frankly years before that advice it was never let them sleep on there backs etc... That's just my experience of what worked I wish you luck.

Hmmm he sleeps any which way, sometimes on his back, front, face, downward dog....... No pattern. 
    Its like he's fighting to stay awake. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Obviously all children are different, but having gone through this fairly recently I'd suggest it's a gas/teething- the two are inexorably linked. Teething means they swallow lots of saliva which in turn causes gas (and HORRIBLE nappies- noticed that?) so they wake up SCREAMING with a sore mouth and trapped wind. 

The needing to be cuddled to sleep is classic colic. Have you tried propping the cot up with a few books to raise his head a bit? That helped mine dramatically (as did putting them down on their sides). We also used "teetha" which are these weird powder sachets you feed the kid and it seems to neutralise the problem a bit. ANYTHING is worth a try though right.

Hope it improves soon, it WILL get better eventually. 
    I ended up sleeping on an air bed in the dining room so that I could function (not kill anyone) at work. It's all about survival when this happens.

Good luck.
    Hmmm not noticed any particularly bad nappies, but he does fart like a trooper. 
    I will give him a go with some gripe water, prob the bed up. 
    See if that works. 
    Nikko said:
    Id cut them out completely to be honest.
    Really? He really struggles to stay awake by 9:30..... I can't see him making it through the day yet. 

hywelg said:
    If he's still breastfeeding get your lady to have a couple of drinks before feeding him.
    Fraid not that didn't happen for us. 
    But on the up side the missus has kept her awesome boobs.....,
    but we are both too tired to make use of them. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Nikko said:
    Id cut them out completely to be honest.
    Really? He really struggles to stay awake by 9:30..... I can't see him making it through the day yet. 

Worked for us, but as has been said already. They are all different...
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Sporky said:
    We found with Sprocket that she went to sleep much more happily, and stayed asleep much longer, once we put her in the hall. She really didn't like being in a crate. The same may apply to babies. Do people keep them in crates?
    Funnily enough we just moved him from his baby cot, to a much bigger travel cot, while we get his room ready, ironically I'm far too tired to paint, wallpaper, rehang doors, install laminate floor on this little sleep, so it's taking longer than planned. 

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like teething to me ... buy a pack of these from boots and give one to him (on a spoon if needed) when he wakes, even better one before he goes to sleep

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wcsstore7.00.00.521/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/400x400/289611.jpg

DesVegas said:
    Sounds like teething to me ... buy a pack of these from boots and give one to him (on a spoon if needed) when he wakes, even better one before he goes to sleep

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wcsstore7.00.00.521/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/400x400/289611.jpg

Hmmmm not a fan of Nelsons. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    How long's this been going on for? My kids are older than that now but they've always got up earlier and taken longer to go to sleep during the summer months when it's light outside at bedtime. Blackout curtains FTW.

As others have said, cutting down on daytime naps might be a good idea (but will involve dealing with a tired and mardy child, which is always fun), and if he's teething, Calpol might be useful. Shit is magical.

...and of course there's no guarantee that it's just one thing. He might be taking ages to get to sleep because it's light outside, then getting upset because he doesn't want to be in bed, then getting even more upset because he's tired and wants to be asleep, then waking up in the night because he's teething....

@stimpsonlostson is right though- even if it lasts for weeks and you never get the faintest idea of why he's doing it, it'll get better one day as mysteriously as it started. Kids are weird.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    DesVegas said:

I think it's for the kid.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Who's not? You or your son?

I'm a fan of anything that gets me a good night's sleep, regardless of what Mumsnet say about it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Who's not? You or your son?

I'm a fan of anything that gets me a good night's sleep, regardless of what Mumsnet say about it.
    I don't give two hoots about mums net. But I'd  rather never sleep again than contribute any money to homeopathy. 
    No offence. 
    I appreciate the advice, apologies I'm even more arsey and intolerant than usual.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    I looked up that stuff.

"When it comes to alternative medicine for children, nothing beats the safety and effectiveness of homeopathy"

Hmm.

Might as well use nothing then - it's safer, more effective and cheaper, and that's from a homeopathy advocate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    I looked up that stuff.

"When it comes to alternative medicine for children, nothing beats the safety and effectiveness of homeopathy"

Hmm.

Might as well use nothing then - it's safer, more effective and cheaper, and that's from a homeopathy advocate.
    Sporky said:
    I looked up that stuff.

Hmm.

Yeah, the whole 'memory' of water thing disturbs me, at one point it was either human or fish piss. 
  • http://www.boots.com/en/Ashton-Parsons-Infants-Powders-20-Sachets_1674/ We used this stuff for a while! Not sure if it's homeopathic or not but it certainly helped him sleep.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

It wont help now, but one for the future ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom