Any Dads advice? (Non sleeping baby)

What's Hot

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106

I couldn't go through all that again. Its OK for Ronnie Wood, he can just hand them other to hired help.

If he can resist shagging them.....
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Yeah sleep goes in phases and just when you think you've got it nailed and into a good routine things go wrong again.

There's no right or wrong answer but with both of ours we put them in with us if they woke in the night at that age. Which as mentioned above goes against a lot of advice.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not gonna beat myself up about it then. The net seems to think it's the worst thing ever short of putting in the tumble dryer.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 198
    Shush pat , also look for the Tracy Hogg book, secrets of the baby whisperer. Helped us alot
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited July 2016
    Mix some sleeping pills into some hot brandy and put it in his bottle, that should keep him quiet
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    All kids are different and you get bad times sometimes. One of my 4 would wake up every night 5 times for most of the 6-12 month period. Bloody tiring, and it used to worry me being s tired driving home from work. It was bad at the time but things eventually move on and you forget about it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    You know what, I did have one demand before our second child... We must buy a bigger bed! and we did, and its great. our first never joined us in bed often, but when she did, she took over. The superkingsize bed means all four of us fit in just fine. I have had the little one in with me a few times when she has been struggling.

Comfort it a wonderful thing, for us and the baby.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited July 2016
    Like most things with little ones it's just a phase you're going through.  

It won't take long but you'll get there.  

Over the next few weeks your sensitivity to the crying will reduce and your ability to both cope on less and less sleep will improve over the coming months.  

You'll look back on this as the easy time and feeling grateful that you had a relatively easy 9 month run.  As the years go by you'll come to realise the few hours sleep you're getting now was a good night.  Then when the little one is sleeping well the deeply engrained lack of sleep over the years has turned you in to an insomniac and no matter what you just lay awake in a quiet house all night.

As a dad of a 5 year old, 3 year old identical twins and a 10 month old I've just come to accept that life as I knew it is over ;)
    nickb_boy said:
    Like most things with little ones it's just a phase you're going through.  

It won't take long but you'll get there.  

Over the next few weeks your sensitivity to the crying will reduce and your ability to both cope on less and less sleep will improve over the coming months.  

You'll look back on this as the easy time and feeling grateful that you had a relatively easy 9 month run.  As the years go by you'll come to realise the few hours sleep you're getting now was a good night.  Then when the little one is sleeping well the deeply engrained lack of sleep over the years has turned you in to an insomniac and no matter what you just lay awake in a quiet house all night.

As a dad of a 5 year old, 3 year old identical twins and a 10 month old I've just come to accept that life as I knew it is over ;)
    Do you do profession pep talks? 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited July 2016
    0330. Hope you're doing better than I am tonight. Bloody inoculations. Maybe those antivaxxers just wanted to avoid losing a good nights sleep. (I jest. They're fecking idiots).
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Elx said:
    Nikko said:
    Id cut them out completely to be honest.
    Really? He really struggles to stay awake by 9:30..... I can't see him making it through the day yet. 
    Of course not, it would only make it worse. My girls are 4 and 2, I've been going through this a lot in the last 4 years. It's a phase, and it will be over soon. It could be many things, but he's probably teething. I totally understand the way you feel, but very soon you will be facing different problems :)

Like I said already...it worked for us and our Little'un.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Anecdotally - Ours sleep way better at night when they've had a proper nap in the day. Days they don't sleep tend to be followed by rough nights as well. Usually because they're so overtired. I wouldn't recommend dropping naps personally but hi if you try it and it works for you then great. Do whatever you need to to stay sane ;)
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Its always difficult advising people what to do with their children. Its already been said a few times, but every child is different, so really, we can only relay our own experiences in what has worked for us and our children.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited July 2016
    We had that. Got a 21 month old and if yours is anything like mine he'll just go through phases of sleeping well and then not, for no apparent reason. We had a two month spell at about 5 months when he'd been previously sleeping well and then went to what you've just described, for example. Then he sorted himself out.

You've just got to ride the storm, he'll probably get his shit together. Ours seems to not sleep so well if he's having a bit of a growth spurt, or if he's got a sniffle.

We need to get him sleep trained, really. He can't fall asleep on his own, needs cuddling. Once he's out, he's out though. But like I say you never really know what they're going to throw at you next. 
    Use Your Brian
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30215
    As Mrs Bradley said, there are three golden rules to raising children. Sadly no-one knows what they are.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Look on the bright side, it gets much worse when they hit 13, then again at 14...15...16 and then the shite really hits the fan. Enjoy it now while you have no stress and family life is relaxing.  Cause your future is well and truly fu...   ;)

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092
    putting them in front of a TV with the sound turned up can help get them to sleep sometimes
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Took him for a drive last night. 
    He zonked out, managed to get him into bed without waking

he woke around 1am and every 30 m there after. 
    So far he's had 45m kip at 10am
    its my turn in the main bed tonight I'm not looking forward to it
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    edited July 2016

I feel for you. My kids are 7 and 12, so those sleepless nights were long ago, but they were very trying...

I don't recommend taking the baby into your bed. It can be unsafe, and it can form a habit that takes years to break. We never did this, but friends did and they regretted it.

If it is teething we used one of the gels (dentinox?), that definitely helped, and we often ended up with the head end of the cot propped up an inch or two to try and stop the snot and dribble catching in their throats.

How dark is the room? Is there too much sensory entertainment going on. The babies eyes will be developing so it may be seeing things better now, and also being able to understand them too. That would be quite exciting and keep them awake. Black out blinds are great.

Also, when you do go to the baby at night, keep the interaction minimal. Try not to talk or play with them, or they will think it is play time. Just run through the probable causes and remedies (nappies, wind, teething, lonely etc) with as little fuss and try not let on your are tired/livid or about cry like your in Dawson's Creek.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    Hmmmm not a fan of Nelsons. 
    Who's not? You or your son?

I'm a fan of anything that gets me a good night's sleep, regardless of what Mumsnet say about it.
    I don't give two hoots about mums net. But I'd  rather never sleep again than contribute any money to homeopathy. 
    No offence. 

Fair play. I'm not familiar with the product, but I am familiar with parents who refuse to use perfectly good stuff (ie. non-homeopathic) because of some shit they misread on the internet somewhere. Should've given you more credit

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom