Any Dads advice? (Non sleeping baby)

What's Hot

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Sesh said:

I feel for you. My kids are 7 and 12, so those sleepless nights were long ago, but they were very trying...

I don't recommend taking the baby into your bed. It can be unsafe, and it can form a habit that takes years to break. We never did this, but friends did and they regretted it.

If it is teething we used one of the gels (dentinox?), that definitely helped, and we often ended up with the head end of the cot propped up an inch or two to try and stop the snot and dribble catching in their throats.

How dark is the room? Is there too much sensory entertainment going on. The babies eyes will be developing so it may be seeing things better now, and also being able to understand them too. That would be quite exciting and keep them awake. Black out blinds are great.

Also, when you do go to the baby at night, keep the interaction minimal. Try not to talk or play with them, or they will think it is play time. Just run through the probable causes and remedies (nappies, wind, teething, lonely etc) with as little fuss and try not let on your are tired/livid or about cry like your in Dawson's Creek.

Yeah trying to not co sleep but it's the inly thing that works 59% of the time....
    not talking just putting back on his back, he's standing at that point screaming,
    he gets up, put him down, he gets up lasted 2 hours one night. 
    room is pretty dark. No night lights or toys. 
    Ah well, guess it's just tough times.....
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe Mick Jagger can offer me advice. He's going to be a dad too....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    Sesh said:

I feel for you. My kids are 7 and 12, so those sleepless nights were long ago, but they were very trying...

I don't recommend taking the baby into your bed. It can be unsafe, and it can form a habit that takes years to break. We never did this, but friends did and they regretted it.

If it is teething we used one of the gels (dentinox?), that definitely helped, and we often ended up with the head end of the cot propped up an inch or two to try and stop the snot and dribble catching in their throats.

How dark is the room? Is there too much sensory entertainment going on. The babies eyes will be developing so it may be seeing things better now, and also being able to understand them too. That would be quite exciting and keep them awake. Black out blinds are great.

Also, when you do go to the baby at night, keep the interaction minimal. Try not to talk or play with them, or they will think it is play time. Just run through the probable causes and remedies (nappies, wind, teething, lonely etc) with as little fuss and try not let on your are tired/livid or about cry like your in Dawson's Creek.

Yeah trying to not co sleep but it's the inly thing that works 59% of the time....
    not talking just putting back on his back, he's standing at that point screaming,
    he gets up, put him down, he gets up lasted 2 hours one night. 
    room is pretty dark. No night lights or toys. 
    Ah well, guess it's just tough times.....
    Best of luck with this. It will improve. They get older and grow out of one annoying thing and develop another. I remember so much advice coming in from so many directions, and that wasn't always helpful. Or, when people claim their little darlings are perfect. The most hateful phrase was "sleep when the baby sleeps." I'm not a violent man but I could have skinned every fucker who said that to my sleep-deprived-on-the-edge self back then.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited July 2016
    Jesus, if I took my widget out in front of the wife and said lets make some kids, she'd have me sectioned !

edited July 2016
    Jesus, if I took my widget out in front of the wife and said lets make some kids, she'd have me sectioned !
    I think it's different when you are a millionaire. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Babies are all so different, you have to find that something. For my oldest it was either being driven in a car/pushed in a buggy or laying on my chest listening to my heart (back in the days I still had one). Some nights I would drive miles to get him off and he then slept in the car seat until morning (in the house I might add). My misses would hand him to her gran for the day who let him sleep and I got lumbered with the night watch! It passes and they become normal and you regain sanity but it does wear you down. The time comes soon enough though. Good luck.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Generally "fighting to stay awake" normally means either craving sensory input (they used to call this "pre-developmental leap" behaviour) and he is of the age where he will soon be starting to do stuff as opposed to just being a lovely little blob of baby, so it's common, or it means he's in pain - teeth, tummy etc. As he's not seemingly in pain during the day, he may have trapped wind from laying down. 

I feel for you though. My eldest (who is 5 now) has severe autism and a few other neurological issues and sleeps very little. I get about 15-20 hours' kip a week. You do begin to get used to it! I hope your situation improves, though!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JDE said:
    Generally "fighting to stay awake" normally means either craving sensory input (they used to call this "pre-developmental leap" behaviour) and he is of the age where he will soon be starting to do stuff as opposed to just being a lovely little blob of baby, so it's common, or it means he's in pain - teeth, tummy etc. As he's not seemingly in pain during the day, he may have trapped wind from laying down. 

I feel for you though. My eldest (who is 5 now) has severe autism and a few other neurological issues and sleeps very little. I get about 15-20 hours' kip a week. You do begin to get used to it! I hope your situation improves, though!!!
    Bless you mate, I know it's prob just a normal thing to go through but at the moment it seems totally beyond what we can cope with. 
    I'm sure it will pan out, just trying to keep on top of everything. 
    Wish I had a sit down job lol 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    JDE said:

Bless you mate, I know it's prob just a normal thing to go through but at the moment it seems totally beyond what we can cope with. 
    No...trust me...you don't. I got woken up by colleagues quite a few times in the early days of dadhood, sitting in this cosy office :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    JDE said:

No...trust me...you don't. I got woken up by colleagues quite a few times in the early days of dadhood, sitting in this cosy office :)
    Beats wavering around on the road or electrocuting myself 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Ok, you can have that one ;)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    edited July 2016
    My son is 5.  He has never been a good sleeper.  He didn't really sleep "through" (say from 8pm to 5am) until he was about 4 and would frequently be up 2 or 3 times a night.  Getting him to sleep generally took about 1-2 hours every evening with lots of crying and getting out of bed.  Things have improved gradually and he is now pretty good at going to bed with no bother and he sleeps reliably until 5am most mornings.  Sometimes it is a little earlier.  It is never much after 5:30am.

My daughter is nearly 3 and is much worse.  She woke up 8-10 times a night every night until she was about 2.  That improved gradually and she now wakes up once or twice a night generally with the odd night where she doesn't wake up at all until about 5:30am.

Neither of them have ever gone to sleep during the day in the house - they simply would not or could not do it.  We had to put them in the car and drive them round for anything between 30 and 90 minutes.

They are both perfectly happy, healthy and full of energy during the day (as well as part of the night!) and just don't seem to need as much sleep as some other children.

Apparently my wife was just the same as my daughter and I was worse than my son but not as bad as my daughter so the grandparents see this as some sort of "payback".

I have no advice to give which might make things easier - nothing we have tried has worked.  However, you do need to try and find a routine where you and your wife can share the misery without either feeling that they are having to do an unfair share.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    My youngest didn't go to sleep until about 4am this morning.

She is twenty though and had been out with her mates.

It doesn't get any easier as they get older, just more expensive.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Have you considered giving it up for medical research?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I always said ours found life too exciting to sleep. Have to say that co-sleeping saved my sanity with my daughter. Don't be afraid to give it a try, it might just work for you.
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 198
    We had a Fisher Price Seahorse that was a god send at times for both of ours. This looks to be something similar.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SweetDreamers-ewan-dream-sheep®-purple/dp/B0040JSN7Y/ref=pd_lpo_21_bs_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7QZN52BBM33XTHJBKMRC

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    Trying to 'solve' these phases can drive you mad. Sometimes as much as you can do is share the burden with your partner so neither of you get *too* stressed out and do whatever your instincts tell you is right for you and your own child. 

Then wait for the *next* bizarre development period - it'll be different but probably just as hard lol 

And throw away any books about perfect routines
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30215
    monofin said:
    I always said ours found life too exciting to sleep. Have to say that co-sleeping saved my sanity with my daughter. Don't be afraid to give it a try, it might just work for you.
    The human race does have millions of years of co-sleeping in its history.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    @Sporky Totally agree. We resisted the temptation for ages due to the advice at the time but have to say it worked well for us. My daughter still gets in with us most nights but we're sure she'll grow out of it just like my son did. My sister in law didn't even own a cot as she co-slept hers from day one.
    ^^ sorry about the formatting. Really cant get the hang of this new editor