Any Dads advice? (Non sleeping baby)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    edited July 2016
    I think the co-sleep advice from the NHS is really aimed at the lowest common denominator.

they could say you shouldn't co sleep if you drink, smoke, are over weight, on medication, known to have sleep issues etc.

and they could say if you co sleep you should take certain precautions like certain sleeping positions and bedding etc

but people are stupid so they simply say "don't co-sleep" as it's the safest advice for all idiots. Including those who want to co-sleep for the wrong reasons. I.e. Cheaper than a cot.

I know it sounds daft, but read up on how to co-sleep safely first.

we don't co-sleep on a regular basis because I enjoy a beer or two most nights and we wanted to keep the bed for us as much as possible. We do co-sleep occasionally, particularly if the child is suffering with something. I had the 9 week old with me from 4am onwards this morning as she has a cold and isn't feeding properly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    WezV said:
    I think the co-sleep advice from the NHS is really aimed at the lowest common denominator.

they could say you shouldn't co sleep if you drink, smoke, are over weight, on medication, known to have sleep issues etc.

and they could say if you co sleep you should take certain precautions like certain sleeping positions and bedding etc

but people are stupid so they simply say "don't co-sleep" as it's the safest advice for all idiots. Including those who want to co-sleep for the wrong reasons. I.e. Cheaper than a cot.

we don't co-sleep on a regular basis because I enjoy a beer or two most nights and we wanted to keep the bed for us as much as possible. We do co-sleep occasionally, particularly if the child is suffering with something. I had the 9 week old with me from 4am onwards this morning as she has a cold and isn't feeding properly.

how do you know me???
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tbf I don't smoke or drink much. 
    Only occasional Fri night. 
    I'm a sturdy chap but hardly move at night. 
    Had the little lad in bed with me last night, woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. 
    He only woke up couple of times, best nights sleep for a couple of weeks, missus was the same, down on the sofa bed, we are both a lot happier today. 
    I even managed some lighthearted innuendo before she shot me down in flames......
    Well I can claim all of those too, although I'm only a little overweight and am down to a couple of fags a day. No smoking in the house ever!!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    WezV said:

We had a co-sleeper cot type thing - it buts up against the side of the bed (and attaches so it can't drift apart) and is like a little baby harbour, so  they are right there but you can't squish 'em and they can't do the sprawling/starfish/wriggle over the edge thing. 
    Red ones are better. 
    WezV said:
    Well I can claim all of those too, although I'm only a little overweight and am down to a couple of fags a day. No smoking in the house ever!!
    What do your fags think of this? 
    I'll be  honest I never really understood that whole public school thing. 
    TimmyO said:
    WezV said:

We had a co-sleeper cot type thing - it buts up against the side of the bed (and attaches so it can't drift apart) and is like a little baby harbour, so  they are right there but you can't squish 'em and they can't do the sprawling/starfish/wriggle over the edge thing. 
    Yeah we had this, a Chicco I think, it was great, but he's outgrown it, we thought it was the size issue, no room to stretch, so swapped it out for his travel cot, but that's high sided so can't interact with him. 

We we hoped it would be a good transition towards him going into his own room........ LOL!!!!
    WezV said:
    Are you American? ;)
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    Are you American? ;)
    HOW DARE YOU!!!!!
    i demand satisfaction sir!!!!
    damn your hide and damn your breeches!!!!!
    UPDATE. 
    little man is now in his own room, I'm sure he's appreciating the new pain, floor, curtains and IKEA storage as much as his mum is. 
    But more importantly he's going down around 7:30/8 cries a bit then sleeps through till 8:30!!!!
    F'king result!!!! Myself and My better half are returning to a normal ( for us) dynamic. 
    Hes even self settling when he wakes up.  
    Thanks for all the advice guys......
    turns out all he needed was new laminate. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    ace result.

you feel like a new person don't you? Its amazing how cool you feel after a proper night;s kip after months in the twilight zone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5318
    UPDATE. 
    little man is now in his own room, I'm sure he's appreciating the new pain, floor, curtains and IKEA storage as much as his mum is. 
    But more importantly he's going down around 7:30/8 cries a bit then sleeps through till 8:30!!!!
    F'king result!!!! Myself and My better half are returning to a normal ( for us) dynamic. 
    It's always the last thing you try ;)

Now back to the lighthearted innuendo :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    UPDATE. 
    You do realise his plan is to lull you into a false sense of security before fucking you over again?! And probably again...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    UPDATE. 
    You do realise his plan is to lull you into a false sense of security before fucking you over again?! And probably again...
    Yeah.... Wait?
    him or his mother? 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited July 2016
    That's great news! No more complaining now.

My situation is similar to @JDE.  Two autistic kids mean my wife and I don't get more than 1 or 2 night's uninterrupted sleep per month. Uninterrupted means we don't have to get out of bed.  After a couple of years you realise you used to wonder how people put up with these things - and then you realise there you are, doing it and living with it. Count your blessings. That's what I do when I meet parents who put up with much worse than I have to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    That's great news! No more complaining now.

My situation is similar to @JDE.  Two autistic kids mean my wife and I don't get more than 1 or 2 night's uninterrupted sleep per month. Uninterrupted means we don't have to get out of bed.  After a couple of years you realise you used to wonder how people put up with these things - and then you realise there you are, doing it and living with it. Count your blessings. That's what I do when I meet parents who put up with much worse than I have to.
    I reserve the right to complain about other stuff. 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

See, like I said, every child is different. Mine stopped having sleeps during the day, and that sorted her out. Yours needed new flooring...result.

...enjoy the sleep until he decides the Feng Shui of the room is all wrong. That'll teach you ;)

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Iamnobody said:
    UPDATE. 
    Yeah.... Wait?
    him or his mother? 
    The boy!

My own experience is they go through phases growing teething etc etc and just when you think everything is sorted - they start again.

It was between 12-15 months with my eldest. And now the youngest is playing up at night she's about 14 months.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Glad you got through it. Sadly they go through these phases every so often :-(

There are two aspects of modern (Western) parenting that really bug me.

The first is the idea that co-sleeping should be avoided. Bollocks to that, do what you got to do to get some sleep. Humans have been co-sleeping for thousands of years and lots of cultures still do. Just do it safely. Both my kids have co-slept and it's caused no problems at all.

The second is controlled crying. I'm afraid that I find it hard to see it as anything other than an unnecessarily cruel form of psychological torment and stress for all involved. There's no way I'm leaving a small child screaming when it can be avoided. From my conversations with friends who do it, and from what I read online, I don't think that their children sleep any better than mine.
    Glad you got through it. Sadly they go through these phases every so often :-(

There are two aspects of modern (Western) parenting that really bug me.

The first is the idea that co-sleeping should be avoided. Bollocks to that, do what you got to do to get some sleep. Humans have been co-sleeping for thousands of years and lots of cultures still do. Just do it safely. Both my kids have co-slept and it's caused no problems at all.

The second is controlled crying. I'm afraid that I find it hard to see it as anything other than an unnecessarily cruel form of psychological torment and stress for all involved. There's no way I'm leaving a small child screaming when it can be avoided. From my conversations with friends who do it, and from what I read online, I don't think that their children sleep any better than mine.
    There is a lot of wisdom in that. 
    It always feels 'wrong' to me to let him cry.