Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum members with top spec gear

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
I was just reading some threads on Lazy J's and Carr Skylarks and it got me thinking.

It would be great if more people could post vids of their gear or record them and enter the various riff of the month/solo of the month forum challenges so we can see and hear what the kit sounds like.

Appreciate that people are busy but it would be great e.g. to hear what an artist pack PRS sounds like through a boutique amp.

Or maybe we need more gasfests!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3352
    edited October 2016
    Gas/GearFests are great for this. Trying rigs with your own guitar(s) or pedals or other peoples' stuff at volume really can help you make your mind up about something. Alas, the logistics are always the problem i.e. finding a venue big enough, keeping costs relatively low, people committing to their slot and having the length of time needed for people to present their individual rigs and then people to have a go of them, one at a time. Otherwise, it becomes a cacophonous din with no real merit.

We've had a few in the SE over the years with anywhere between 9 - 14 people and we've required all of the 11am-6pm time to get around the individual rigs, chat and for people to try things.

They're thoroughly enjoyable and can help you make some informed decisions on gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:
    I was just reading some threads on Lazy J's and Carr Skylarks and it got me thinking.

It would be great if more people could post vids of their gear or record them and enter the various riff of the month/solo of the month forum challenges so we can see and hear what the kit sounds like.

Appreciate that people are busy but it would be great e.g. to hear what an artist pack PRS sounds like through a boutique amp.

Or maybe we need more gasfests!
    Defind top spec gear?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'd be well up for the monthly 'how to make top end gear sound really crap by having no talent' challenge
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    edited October 2016
    Ahh....I have a top spec amp, in the aforementioned Skylark but unfortunately bottom spec playing talent.
     :s 

edit..well it ain't that bad, but not for public consumption.
  • What's wrong with people who don't have "top spec gear" entering?  Are they excluded?
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    What's wrong with people who don't have "top spec gear" entering?  Are they excluded?
    Nothing - most do, many of my entries in the past were a Strat straight into a Tascam GTR!

I'm just interested in also seeing and hearing some of the 3k amps and 5k guitars owned and discussed on here 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It is a subjective thing tho isn't it? Would the critique be the kit or the playing?

I'd happily meet up with others and let people try any of my stuff. That way their opinion is their playing and thus about the kit. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'd be well up for the monthly 'how to make top end gear sound really crap by having no talent' challenge
    I could do the demos for something like that.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

usedtobe said:
    I could do the demos for something like that.
    I could write the manual...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    The Nottingham amp demo days organised by @hywelg that I attended were fun but I'm sure it took him a lot of work to sort it. Biggest problem I suspect is a suitable venue.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5341
    could a room be hired around the Birmingham or Other guitar shows?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5341
    residential weekend?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited October 2016
    If we had a meet up thing we could judge those who have elite level gear and assess whether or not they are worthy to keep it. If not we could find some peasant who is more worthy and they could take it home until original owner improves to the point where theyre worthy of taking it back at the next years event lol idea? ;-) 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    siraxeman said:
    If we had a meet up thing we could judge those who have elite level gear and assess whether or not they are worthy to keep it. If not we could find some peasant who is more worthy and they could take it home until original owner improves to the point where theyre worthy of taking it back at the next years event lol idea? ;-) 
    We could even exchange these paper tokens with numerical values so we remember who took who's gear as a reminder for the next year.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902
    A lack of playing ability, or at least confidence in it perhaps stops a lot of people demo'ing their gear (?)

And that goes double for anyone with more than their fair share of high-end gear who can't actually play very well. I have some high end gear and am self-admitedly a crap guitarist.

I guess it applies to many that money / high end gear doesn't automatically = talent and therefore such owners don't feel 'worthy' to demo stuff, fearing they wouldn't do justice to great equipment and would then be roundly ridiculed by those with crap gear who are appalled at the profligacy of over-moneyed twats who should stick to dentistry... or something. :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As an over-moneyed twat, and have on occasion exercised some profligacy, I do worry about sniggers from the back row...

I am, however, not a dentist
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902
    Nor am I :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I did some PRS videos - see the guitar review section.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I did some PRS videos - see the guitar review section.
    Cool, thanks, will check them out
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11527
    edited October 2016
    Having the gear and having the environment to record it in a way that does it justice are two different things.  I'm sure that you could get a better recorded sound out of a Squier and a Peavey Bandit in a good studio with an engineer who knows what they are doing than a lot of us could do in our back bedroom at home at a volume which wouldn't annoy neighbours, wives, daughters etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom