Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum members with top spec gear

What's Hot

Comments

• I only got good gear when I started to gig! 

Blackstar says no 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I only got good gear when I started to gig! 

Blackstar says no 
    :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    There are many valid reasons for owning a guitar that don't include gigging or recording.

The most important reason to own a guitar of any value is simple, because you want to own it.

personally, I only play in the privacy of my own home and am fairly bad.  But I still enjoy it and it helps me relax.  Even if I didn't build, I would still own a lot of guitars.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777

I don't think anybody has to justify any gear they own but by the same token I do wonder about the people who dismiss cheaper gear and always champion things that are unnatainable to most, or flavour of the month. If you're going to constantly say how good something is but never show it in action then I do take that opinion with a pinch of salt.  Or to put it another way, being able to afford the most expensive stuff doesn't make you an expert.  Putting up a vid and showing some nice playing is worth more.   This is a slightly different thing to just owning a nice piece of gear that is beyond your current skill level.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24879
    edited October 2016
    WezV said:
    There are many valid reasons for owning a guitar that don't include gigging or recording.

The most important reason to own a guitar of any value is simple, because you want to own it.

personally, I only play in the privacy of my own home and am fairly bad.  But I still enjoy it and it helps me relax.  Even if I didn't build, I would still own a lot of guitars.  
    Spot on!

The last time I played live was 1994 and I record only occasionally. I've been really stressed and low recently. Yesterday afternoon I plugged my Strat into a clean amp and noodled away for about an hour. It completely changed my mood - I was transported to a place which was much nicer than reality....

I'm probably my harshest critic when it comes to my own playing - but the there's definitely a sort of positive feedback loop which happens. I play something I like - it makes me feel better and I then want to do more of it.

If no other living soul ever hears me play, I can still more than justify (to me at least) owning some very nice guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    I think as long as you enjoy playing whatever you have, and it inspires you to play, then the cost doesn't really matter ! From my own perspective, I play a lot, and like nice guitars, so I own a few. Always more than happy for other people to play them. That's pretty much all I buy though; I never really got into effects, and have had the same amps for years. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5206
    WezV said:

Spot on!

The last time I played live was 1994 and I record only occasionally. I've been really stressed and low recently. Yesterday afternoon I plugged my Strat into a clean amp and noodled away for about an hour. It completely changed my mood - I was transported to a place which was much nicer than reality....

I'm probably my harshest critic when it comes to my own playing - but the there's definitely a sort of positive feedback loop which happens. I play something I like - it makes me feel better and I then want to do more of it.

If no other living soul ever hears me play, I can still more than justify (to me at least) owning some very nice guitars.
    @richardhomer ;
    I think I remember you playing some Peter Green through a humble Blackstar HT1 with your 335 which sounded ace. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was you)
     :) 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1650
    I think we might be being harsh to the OP's original point. It was only a request to post gear videos of expensive top end gear that you dentists and shit players own but don't deserve to. 

Joking aside, I do love checking out expensive gear that I can't afford. 

Justification for owning something? Buy what you like, that's your business. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sassafras said:
    All you over-moneyed twats: SPREAD THE WEALTH.
    Maybe you should have stuck in at school more ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24879
    I think I remember you playing some Peter Green through a humble Blackstar HT1 with your 335 which sounded ace. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was you)
     :) 
    Yes, that was me - thank you for the compliment.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    I'm a better maker than a player

I get far more enjoyment out of someone good playing my stuff 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Iamnobody said:
    Skipped said:
    We had a thread today about Ritchie Blackmore and which guitar used on Machine Head etc.....and 3 clicks later I was reading an interview in which he said he got interested in jazz, indian music, other stuff because he felt he would be bored just playing 4 notes or whatever (Blues).

What I think is that.......if your awesome gear was paid for by gigging and  repeating the same few phrases in a rather wonderful way (in a way that led to Clapton being confused with God) then you are probably more worthy than a shredder with awesome technique who is playing a guitar that his mother bought him......to a Logitech Webcam.....in his bedroom.
    I think we have to be careful about judging who is worthy. As someone has already said - that is subjective.

We don't have to be careful about it. We have no right to judge who is worthy.

Who are 'we' to judge? 

As far as I'm concerned people can buy and play what the fuck they like.

I'm shit - but I've got some disposable now I'm getting older. So I've bought a few nice guitars.

When I gigged in an original band I played a Squier Tele.

Am I worthy?

No
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I only got good gear when I started to gig! 

You still not got a good amp! :-)
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 796
    Gadget said:
    A lack of playing ability, or at least confidence in it perhaps stops a lot of people demo'ing their gear (?)

And that goes double for anyone with more than their fair share of high-end gear who can't actually play very well. I have some high end gear and am self-admitedly a crap guitarist.

LOL
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 796

This was reality while you were playing !
  • If anybody seriously thinks you can't play great guitar through low priced gear, I'd venture to say they're a bit thick. All this tone chasing stuff is bollocks to me. I'd take skill any day. I'd say I'm average with some great guitars but I don't pretend to be a fountain of knowledge, and I've had the balls to put videos and clips online.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    What started as "would you demo your top gear" has turned into "owners of top gear are usually shite players", and the similar inverted snobbery that 'skill and a Squier' beats top gear any day.

Who wants to watch a Kia C'eed driving past when they could watch a Ferrari or Lambo doing it instead?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1650
    Chalky said:
    What started as "would you demo your top gear" has turned into "owners of top gear are usually shite players", and the similar inverted snobbery that 'skill and a Squier' beats top gear any day.

Who wants to watch a Kia C'eed driving past when they could watch a Ferrari or Lambo doing it instead?
    Top gear didn't put "a star in a Lamborghini" they did put them in a C'eed. 

I wanted to to watch a fair few of those celebs crash so I was pleased to be watching a ceed drive past. 

I actually would love love to see more demos of gear on this site. The OP was really only suggesting that we could do more of that, fair point I think. 

I dont ever listen to Gearmandude to critique his playing, I just want to have a listen to those gear pedals he is trying out. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Now I feel guilty that I should be posting demos..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mellowsun said:
    What's wrong with people who don't have "top spec gear" entering?  Are they excluded?
    Nothing - most do, many of my entries in the past were a Strat straight into a Tascam GTR!

I'm just interested in also seeing and hearing some of the 3k amps and 5k guitars owned and discussed on here 

But they don't play them. They just take photos of them and then sell them 3 months later!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom