Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum members with top spec gear

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Now.. where's that singing thread as I'm 100% sub standard at that!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have spent a LOT (for me) on gear and getting my set-up right over the past 2 years (though nowhere near as much as some folk on here), but I've done so because until 2 years ago, I'd only ever owned an acoustic and a Korean Squier Tele (with a crappy wee practice amp). I've been playing a guitar of some description since I was 12 (so 27 years), never obsessively, just consistently, but 2 years ago, I saw a guitar in a Denmark St shop and thought, "I really want that", and my love of guitar just flooded back.

I haven't played/practised this much since I was in my early 20s and I have definitely improved. I can't shred at 2000 notes per second or whatever, but I can definitely play, and having great guitars (I have a mere 3 electrics, folks), a lovely amp (just the one 65 DRRI) and a board of incredible stompboxes has made me want to play and practice so much more.

So yes, gentleman, I am worthy of my gear because I didn't have any for so long. I thank you *loud applause, bows*

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Image result for primitive african instruments

I've been gigging with this for years without feeling the need to upgrade to a more expensive instrument.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24887
    Yeah but I've no control over drummer and bassist and singer. I've control over my playing and that's what I'll focus on. 
    Control their food and you control them.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5201
    I paid £250 for my main head. No one here has an amp I'd consider swapping for it though. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Yeah but I've no control over drummer and bassist and singer. I've control over my playing and that's what I'll focus on. 
    Control their food beer and you control them.
    Fixed that for you.

Actually, you have total control over the quality of the rest of your band mates - if they are shit, either fire them or leave. If they can't raise their game to match you, then they is history. Simples.

However, the same can be said of you - if you are letting the rest of the band down, then expect to be given the Spanish Archer.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7128
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    Image result for primitive african instruments

I've been gigging with this for years without feeling the need to upgrade to a more expensive instrument.
    Come on, that's clearly a hand crafted, luthier built instrument, not some cheap CNC'd job from a Chinese factory!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    I'd love to hear some of the owners of vintage gear do some demos.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• A gasfest sounds like an awesome plan!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Now.. where's that singing thread as I'm 100% sub standard at that!!
    Me too!!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29187
    boydie101 said:
    A gasfest sounds like an awesome plan!
    I'll bring the cello, then you'll all realise how great you are at guitar by comparison. Glad to provide the ego boost. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Now.. where's that singing thread as I'm 100% sub standard at that!!
    Me too!!
    I'm doing the Ken Tamplin course right now.
    Problem is I can play guitar much quieter than I can sing... And in a block of flats that's not great
  • I'm always happy for anyone that's local to call in to play my gear. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Drew_TNBD said:
    p90fool said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    octatonic said:
    Endless widdling and going over the same stuff that you already know won't get you there.

It's worked for me!
    Me too! There's gold in them five notes!
    In all seriousness, guitarists are rarely the most important element of a band. Doesn't matter how shit hot your shredding is @thomasross20, if your drummer can't play to a click and if your bass can't keep time and if your singer sings out of tune and has horrible tone, then your band is going to suck.
    Sounds like my last band!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• CHRISB50 said:
    Not demos as such, but my 1962 Jaguar is all over my YouTube channel. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4388
    CHRISB50 said:
    Not demos as such, but my 1962 Jaguar is all over my YouTube channel. 
    Sweet. I'll have a listen :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    Megii said:
    mgaw said:
    Barney said:
    mgaw said:
    Barney said:
    Great idea ...this is from a couple of weeks back ...its my Overwater guitar through a shitty roland cube.. the overwater is similar quality to say a PRS 

nifty chops but what a shitty tone:)
    Haha....i agree..lol...its all the amp.. guitar sounds great through right amp ..heres one from a while ago ...its my RDA Dumble clone and gibson R7...all the the different stages pf gain are by usining the guitar volume :)

you just illustrated perfectly the argument for great gear perfectly:)
    I can hear the difference of course, but to be fair, they are also different types of tone used in the clips. I'd be interested to here how what the Roland would sound like if used to get as close as possible to the type of tone in the RDA Dumble clip, including the reverb/effects. I doubt it would be as good, but all the same.
    Yeah i know what you mean...its a different room and different guitar ...i wasnt really intending for them to sound like each other but could get closer than these 2 clips but would still be miles off i think ...the roland just wouldnt have the mids for starters.. 
    Fx on the the roland are just the amp sims and the built in delay
    And RDA just amp drive plus a bit of reverb from the amp....
    Saying all that i got a fairly good sound once  using a Dumkudo pedal plus the roland on the blackface setting...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12057
    edited October 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:
    mellowsun said:
    What's wrong with people who don't have "top spec gear" entering?  Are they excluded?
    Nothing - most do, many of my entries in the past were a Strat straight into a Tascam GTR!

I'm just interested in also seeing and hearing some of the 3k amps and 5k guitars owned and discussed on here 

But they don't play them. They just take photos of them and then sell them 3 months later!
    Hey! I don't sell my gear   ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    crunchman said:
    Having the gear and having the environment to record it in a way that does it justice are two different things.  I'm sure that you could get a better recorded sound out of a Squier and a Peavey Bandit in a good studio with an engineer who knows what they are doing than a lot of us could do in our back bedroom at home at a volume which wouldn't annoy neighbours, wives, daughters etc.
    Yeah completely agree with this, found this vid my then 5-year old took while on hols , a TA Raven into a blues junior , think you can tell fk all about the guitar and amp from this vid :)

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    Cool holiday.  ;)