Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum members with top spec gear

What's Hot

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    To gig what you need is reliable gear that you are familiar with and can use comfortably. Brands mean little or nothing, a Japanese guitar and an old second hand amp with boss pedals is just the thing.  Add an American guitar if you want but you have all you need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    All you over-moneyed twats: SPREAD THE WEALTH.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    In every field/hobby you get those "all the gear and no idea.." but it don't matter a jot how good (or bad someone might be as a player ) as long as they enjoy it and are able to afford it without their family's suffering "cos dads a selfish git who spends all the money on himself " and of coarse no kittens were killed in the obtaining of said gear. anyone can string a few simple chords together or pick a few arps do a couple of simple cliché riffs or licks which can be adequate to demo a guitar or amp . judging gear purely on a recording however good can be misleading as even cheap gear in the right hands can sound amazing. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902
    edited October 2016
    Sassafras said:

Ok, you may sniff my Tolex...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    edited October 2016
    Sassafras said:
    I did give a guitar away earlier this year for charidee In a Fretboard raffle

Does that count?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:

Does that count?

No. You didn't give it to ME, did you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    We had a thread today about Ritchie Blackmore and which guitar used on Machine Head etc.....and 3 clicks later I was reading an interview in which he said he got interested in jazz, indian music, other stuff because he felt he would be bored just playing 4 notes or whatever (Blues).

What I think is that.......if your awesome gear was paid for by gigging and  repeating the same few phrases in a rather wonderful way (in a way that led to Clapton being confused with God) then you are probably more worthy than a shredder with awesome technique who is playing a guitar that his mother bought him......to a Logitech Webcam.....in his bedroom.
    I think we have to be careful about judging who is worthy. As someone has already said - that is subjective.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    I have a "top spec" guitar - well two actually - I am still figuring out how to play them. I got E minor nailed down and making good progress on the E major chord :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Sassafras said:
    I gave away a Thorpyfx Gunshot pedal at the end last year  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tone1 said:
    Sassafras said:

Yeah, but what've you done for me this year?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Sassafras said:
    tone1 said:
    Sassafras said:

Yeah, but what've you done for me this year?
    I'll have some 2nd hand 10-46 Ernie Ball's in a week or so?  :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You often find those with the most expensive rigs and gear record and gig the least.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6940
    Skipped said:
    We had a thread today about Ritchie Blackmore and which guitar used on Machine Head etc.....and 3 clicks later I was reading an interview in which he said he got interested in jazz, indian music, other stuff because he felt he would be bored just playing 4 notes or whatever (Blues).

What I think is that.......if your awesome gear was paid for by gigging and  repeating the same few phrases in a rather wonderful way (in a way that led to Clapton being confused with God) then you are probably more worthy than a shredder with awesome technique who is playing a guitar that his mother bought him......to a Logitech Webcam.....in his bedroom.
    I think we have to be careful about judging who is worthy. As someone has already said - that is subjective.

We don't have to be careful about it. We have no right to judge who is worthy.

Who are 'we' to judge? 

As far as I'm concerned people can buy and play what the fuck they like.

I'm shit - but I've got some disposable now I'm getting older. So I've bought a few nice guitars.

When I gigged in an original band I played a Squier Tele.

Am I worthy?

Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902
    Agreed.

Now that I'm older with a bit more money and experience, I've got far better gear than I did when I was young and gigging.

I can't play much better though.

But so what? Each to their own. I still enjoy collecting gear and trying to create nice tone, even if it's just for a few notes...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You often find those with the most expensive rigs and gear record and gig the least.
    Not always though
    ive been out all weekend
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7767
    edited October 2016
    When I organised a few gear-fests back in the day, the best type of venue ended up being a village hall. 

Rehearsal rooms and and pubs always ended up being a compromise of either being too hot and stuffy, too small when extra folk arrived, the public ambling about etc etc.

The village hall one was awesome - it was enormous, cheap and the Dominos delivery fella found it easily! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

Does that count?

No. You didn't give it to ME, did you.
    I had no choice in the matter - it was determined by the dog. Clearly your beef should be with my dog. Which is fair, cos he's a lazy git.
  • I only got good gear when I started to gig! 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    So is this about each person bring theor heir own personal rig to a venue and demo it at a specific time to the madding crowd ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    So is this about each person bring theor heir own personal rig to a venue and demo it at a specific time to the madding crowd ?
    I hope not!!