Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone World in Administration

What's Hot
Never shopped there but having been in the same boat this week last year as a store manager for Jessops I feel really sorry for the guys there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    edited January 2014
    They sold my friends PRS two weeks ago on consignment and have pocketed the money. He's 2.5k out of pocket and Admistraotrs have fucked him off.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    That sucks.

I've heard Jackson's Rare Guitars in Australia did something similar but with properly vintage guitars- £20k guitars and the like.
    One of the reasons I never consign guitars anymore- you never know if you are getting it back, or getting the money.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3300
    Bleurgh, that's fucking awful.

I know what it was like though, last year when we had people buying lenses for £800 etc and coming in to collect being told that there was no stock, and no money to give back....

If the stock was there I'd have just handed it over. 

On the plus side, I believe you can chase the administrators for it but it can take a long time to get the money.
  • I loved the shop, but way too much high end stuff to survive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    Hi guys. I have returned after a lengthy absence, to comment on this topic. This is really sad news. I have known the main people involved in this business for a long time. They are highly knowledgeable, straight-dealing and thoroughly decent. The problems they have encountered are beyond their control and very unfortunate. I hope the business survives. Believe me, these people are not sharks.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hi and welcome back Richard, I have missed your posts, so I hope you hang around.
    I have never been up to Tone World, but people I have spoken to held them in high regard.
    It is rough justice when bystanders get caught in the crossfire though.
    These are tough times indeed.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    Hi and welcome back Richard, I have missed your posts, so I hope you hang around.

Ditto.

I have also missed Drew's responses to your posts.
    Hang in there. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A real shame. Lovely shop but as pointed out, quite high end niche equipment. Does anyone have the skinny on what's been going on between them and Sounds Great?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5061
    This is indeed sad news.  Any shop closing is bad news, music shops are rare enough without losing any more.  Hope Tone World can get through this difficulty somehow.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• They sold the demo klon they'd 'never sell' recently to bonamassa. Bizarrely that rung an alarm bell with me.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    Thanks Chris. If people Google the story, they will find reference to a legal dispute. It would be inappropriate for me to comment on this further. Clearly anyone not getting paid on something sold on consignment is terrible but the control of a company in administration (and therefore it's money) sits with the administrators, not the people who started the business. I just want to offer support for the people there. They created a wonderful store and are entirely trustworthy. I have dealt with Gary Sharpe (formerly of Sounds Great) since 1983. I have dealt with Rick Lowe since 1996. I have never had anything but great interactions and service from either. I wish to stress that I have no affiliation - but I feel strongly that I need to defend their reputations. They are good people....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe I was a bit string in my first post, but that's how it is. I've known the guys for a few years and it's a very sad situation.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • supessupes Frets: 189
    They must have where they were heading when they sold it. Not a good thing to happen to any company but it doesn't just happen suddenly one day.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25049
    I wonder if I should offer the administrators £200 for the Marleaux bass they had.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• That's a shame, really like that shop.
  • Only winners here are the lawyers, plenty of losers - redundant staff, customers out of pocket etc etc. Bloody shame, hope the individuals concerned manage to recover from what is going to be a horrible few months ahead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dear Richard,

Welcome back buddy. Lets make a road movie together.
  • I almost paid up front for a pedal a couple of weeks ago....

Sad for everyone involved. No idea what happened between the two of them but plenty of losers as you say Paul.

Although it looks like for a change the economy isn't entirely to blame. I think and hope high end stores like this have a future. If the business was working and it was the legal side that caught them out they may yet find a buyer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe trying to establish a very niche business, in very trying economic times,  alongside battling through the High Court on another front  (and losing - if public domain reports are to be believed ) simply proved to be a bridge too far. In all candour, for which of Us all wouldn't it be? I have sympathies across the board here for all concerned, apart from the Lawyers - I can't afford to have their sympathy.  b-(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    They sold my friends PRS two weeks ago on consignment and have pocketed the money. He's 2.5k out of pocket and Admistraotrs have fucked him off.

they cant actually do that can they ?   They can pocket the "commission"  but legally the money belongs to your friend as the guitar wasnt 'stock'   and can (with appropriate proof) claim it back........................... cant they ?  Pretty sure I read a similar thing  last year   Fret ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.