Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone World in Administration

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    Sounds great is very good, has some nice staff and one guy behind the counter who always looks grumpy. Rick was really nice at sounds great, a real personality and very easy to talk to.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Sounds great is very good, has some nice staff and one guy behind the counter who always looks grumpy. Rick was really nice at sounds great, a real personality and very easy to talk to.
    Haha! Yeah, he pulled a face like a smacked arse when I asked for discount...still got it though! 'Tis a nice shop though, I *Think* I might have dealt with this Rick fella when looking at Two Rock stuff in there, talked for ages about gear and stuff.
  • I've not always been the biggest advocate of SG but credit where it's due, they were really helpful and did me a good deal on a board and power supply a few weeks ago.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Im sorry but there should be a law to protect the consumer when this happens, a mate of mine lost some gear when SoundControl went down a few years ago. Why doesn't our so called government protect us?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    jeztone2;372279" said:
    Im sorry but there should be a law to protect the consumer when this happens, a mate of mine lost some gear when SoundControl went down a few years ago. Why doesn't our so called government protect us?
    As a tax payer I'm not willing to fund it, and certainly not willing to fund the scam industry that would develop around it. Caveat emptor
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    jeztone2;372279" said:
    As a tax payer I'm not willing to fund it, and certainly not willing to fund the scam industry that would develop around it. Caveat emptor
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    edited October 2014
    The legal entity of a limited company provides some degree of protection of personal wealth to company owners - though in practice banks use personal guarantees which can effectively eliminated this protection. The fortunes of a company can worsen very quickly (as Tesco's recent 'accountancy' story highlights) - even when the business is fundamentally well run.

A quick Google search will reveal the outcome of TW's administration process. I've previously posted a link to the story but to be honest this is old news. As I said very early in this thread, what happened here is very sad for all concerned - including customers who lost out.

The good news is that for three of the people who worked there, things are looking up. Rick Lowe is now working for Zoom UK, Dave Foster is touring with Steve Rothery and Ben Kessie is working for Sound Affects, who bought some of TW's stock from the administrators.

This was a genuinely exciting addition to music retail in Manchester - even compared to places like Rudy's in New York - it was world class. It's closure is very sad indeed.
  • Bumped in to Rick in London last week actually. He was enjoying his new role from what I could tell.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    edited October 2014
    musteatbrain;374001" said:
    Bumped in to Rick in London last week actually. He was enjoying his new role from what I could tell.
    Which is great news. He's a lovely guy - known him for well over 15 years. I'm really pleased he's doing well - not only was he great to deal with, he as a real friend to me when my life took an unexpected turn for the worse. I'll never forget the kindness he extended to me - one of the world's good guys.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    Not heard what Gary's up to, but he was a really nice and knowledgable guy who seemed to come out of this whole sad story the worst off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3300
    Hey Deijavoo,
    I saw in the opening post that you were manager in Jessops, Carlisle branch I presume.
    I was shocked when Jessops just shut up shop, and concerned for all their staff.

Just a quick personal message of support, and to let you know that I have shopped in your branch several times, and that it was definitely one of the better Jessops stores with well trained helpful and knowledgeable staff, a better score than many others and a credit to you.  Hope life is treating you well now.

Never noticed this before. All good and thanks @ChrisMusic!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited April 2016

:)

• Drove past SG yesterday to see retirement sale signs and the property up for sale.
    https://www.mia.org.uk/2019/10/sounds-great-music-is-closing-down/

Never was the same after Gary and Rick left in my opinion.  
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    pete59 said:
    Drove past SG yesterday to see retirement sale signs and the property up for sale.
    https://www.mia.org.uk/2019/10/sounds-great-music-is-closing-down/

Never was the same after Gary and Rick left in my opinion.  
    ooh

"would someone like to take the sounds great reputation on? (no charge for goodwill)! Contact info@soundsgreatmusic.com."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Ooo!

20% off all pedals!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Ooo!

20% off all pedals!
    That's actually quite dangerous, and I already have 2 pedals with UPS...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4444
    Their pedal cabinets were a thing to behold.  I never knew such variety existed!

Probably said it plenty of times, but I was always treated well in there - pleasant, helpful staff with a sense of humour, and their prices didn't take the piss either.

Much like taking on the brand is a nice daydream, I think it'd be a bit like folk who want to run a pub: a good idea on paper but, in reality, incredibly hard graft that has a big potential to not end well at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Ooo!

20% off all pedals!
    That's actually quite dangerous, and I already have 2 pedals with UPS...
    I've just ordered the Boss OD-1X

Wanted to try that for a long time. It was already a great price, then with 20% off - £63 plus postage. They go for that used!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

randella said:
    Their pedal cabinets were a thing to behold.  I never knew such variety existed!

Probably said it plenty of times, but I was always treated well in there - pleasant, helpful staff with a sense of humour, and their prices didn't take the piss either.

Much like taking on the brand is a nice daydream, I think it'd be a bit like folk who want to run a pub: a good idea on paper but, in reality, incredibly hard graft that has a big potential to not end well at all.
    I'd take it over if I'd won the lottery, but sadly I have not
    Any more updates on this ?