Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone World in Administration

What's Hot

Comments

• Lyon said: “Sharpe’s departure has given us the chance to re-evaluate and invigorate the Sounds Great business and we can see areas where our excellent reputation for customer service and product expertise can be further advanced. We have a great team and great product knowledge and expertise. It is that which has been bringing our customer back all these years.”

>:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A very good friend of mine informed me of the debate that was going on the Fretboard forum, and while I never really get involved in forums much, I thought I would just say if anyone wants to ask me about Tone World or Sounds Great then please pop the question, I am not here to get into why you should not do this and that, only to give hopefully some clarifications to things. Mr Pick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1703
    ...wut?
    This thread needs to be closed tbh , first rule violations all over the place
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    ...wut?
    Absolutely true. I flagged at least one post on this thread but, sadly, no action taken by mods. There have been a few people contributing to this topic who have been dicks of the first order.
    Jetfire said:
    ...wut?
    Absolutely true. I flagged at least one post on this thread but, sadly, no action taken by mods. There have been a few people contributing to this topic who have been dicks of the first order.
    I think its time @digitalscream @ttony
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    OK I might be being dumb, but why do you want the thread closed?

People are allowed to disagree and all that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I agree, why do you want it closed? Seeing as I am actually one of the people who worked at both places, my whole intention is to put any untruths to rest not stir up a hornets nest
  • OK I might be being dumb, but why do you want the thread closed?

People are allowed to disagree and all that. 
    OK, perhaps closing the thread is a little over the top but when people such as @Wilko_Snatch are obviously breaking rule 1 and those posts are flagged, perhaps an explanation of why the post was not cause for concern would help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    He hasn't abused anyone, or said anything libelous so I'd file it under "Entitled to his opinion"

It's always a bit sus when someone bad mouths a brand and a new member joins and jumps to their defense, but I have no evidence of foul play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    True, but "Dont be a dick" is the first rule here and I feel that someones being a dick thats all.
  • One of the first things I should say is lots of people have been affected by Tone World's demise, no one has escaped unscathed, except of course the lawyers who all made substantial money from the legal action. While the legal stuff ultimately did not bring Tone World down it was the thing that broke the camels back at the end.
  • He hasn't abused anyone, or said anything libelous so I'd file it under "Entitled to his opinion"
    That's interesting.

I would contend that the quote below which claims that a well respected MD of a renowned music retailer treated most of his customers with contempt was verging on libellous. And definitely breaks rule 1.
    who ever saw Gary smile and unless you were a named artist he treated most regular people with contempt when they came in the store.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    edited February 2014
    One of the first things I should say is lots of people have been affected by Tone World's demise, no one has escaped unscathed, except of course the lawyers who all made substantial money from the legal action. While the legal stuff ultimately did not bring Tone World down it was the thing that broke the camels back at the end.
    My hope is that all who have been damaged by recent events find a way forward - with the calibre of people involved, I'm sure there will be demand for their skills and knowledge in the music industry.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014
    A very good friend of mine informed me of the debate that was going on the Fretboard forum, and while I never really get involved in forums much, I thought I would just say if anyone wants to ask me about Tone World or Sounds Great then please pop the question, I am not here to get into why you should not do this and that, only to give hopefully some clarifications to things. Mr Pick
    I only have 2 questions. On page 3 of this thread someone claims that customers who asked Tone World to sell instruments on their behalf, have lost their instruments (or perhaps they are in danger of losing their instruments).
    1. Is this claim true?
    2. If true - Was there no way of preventing this? (For example - phoning up the 3 or 4 customers 2 hours before the meeting with the bank and saying to them "Are you sure you don't want to use your guitar at your gig tonight?")

• Thanks Richard. Hopefully all will find a way forward and customers will get there money back, although I know this may not happen. For the record Gary has lost a massive amount of money, could lose his home and is still being chased by a former employer for around £60k for the legal costs. Nobody gained anything!
  • Skipped said:
    A very good friend of mine informed me of the debate that was going on the Fretboard forum, and while I never really get involved in forums much, I thought I would just say if anyone wants to ask me about Tone World or Sounds Great then please pop the question, I am not here to get into why you should not do this and that, only to give hopefully some clarifications to things. Mr Pick
    I only have 2 questions. On page 3 of this thread someone claims that customers who asked Tone World to sell instruments on their behalf, have lost their instruments (or perhaps they are in danger of losing their instruments).
    1. Is this claim true?
    2. If true - Was there no way of preventing this? (For example - phoning up the 3 or 4 customers 2 hours before the meeting with the bank and saying to them "Are you sure you don't want to use your guitar at your gig tonight?")

Okay I am not sure if I am doing this right as I am pretty new to forum workings. Please bare in mind that I was made redundant without notice when the administrators got involved, I personally had very little time to do anything, my prior understanding was that we were looking for a new buyer and that we would continue trading. I did inform as many people as I could the hours after my departure, everything happened so fast, the day went, go to work, 2 hours later unemployed, 3 hours later on my way back home pretty shell shocked. With regard to instruments owned by customers that were at Tone World when the administrators took over. All belonged to there rightful owner, the staff left at Tone world would have made the administrators aware of this as they were not assets of the company, customers should have then been made aware of the situation and asked to collect there items. The problems arise if instruments have been sold prior to administration and customers had not been paid for these
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24907
    edited February 2014
    SmutMonkey100;163687" said:
    For the record Gary has lost a massive amount of money, could lose his home and is still being chased by a former employer for around £60k for the legal costs. Nobody gained anything!
    One of the things which I struggle to get over in all of this is what might be termed 'proportionality'.

Clearly SG's case must have had some legal merit. That said, whatever the issue which they were taking action over, was a proportionate outcome that Gary Sharpe should lose his business, possibly his (and let us not forget his family's) home, his income and that all TW staff lose their jobs? And some customers their money on consignment sales?

I recognise this was not meted out as a 'punishment' per se but it is the consequence of what happened. An incredible a price to pay!

It seems an almost gladiatorial out come - about as proportionate as amputating a foot as a cure for a verruca.... Then again, I am not a lawyer and do not know the details of the case.

My experience in the family court does however tell me that £20,000 doesn't go far in legal fees. £60k on this is no surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    All depends on how the businesses were set up. If he was trading as a sole trader or partnership, then he would loose it all. However, I havent done business studies since 1997
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2014

Okay I am not sure if I am doing this right as I am pretty new to forum workings. Please bare in mind that I was made redundant without notice when the administrators got involved, I personally had very little time to do anything, my prior understanding was that we were looking for a new buyer and that we would continue trading. I did inform as many people as I could the hours after my departure, everything happened so fast, the day went, go to work, 2 hours later unemployed, 3 hours later on my way back home pretty shell shocked. With regard to instruments owned by customers that were at Tone World when the administrators took over. All belonged to there rightful owner, the staff left at Tone world would have made the administrators aware of this as they were not assets of the company, customers should have then been made aware of the situation and asked to collect there items. The problems arise if instruments have been sold prior to administration and customers had not been paid for these
    OK.
    Thank you sticking your head above the parapet to talk to us.
     We are sad that Manchester has lost a Music Retailer, but you have lost your job. I hope that your own personal circumstances get better in the near future.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jetfire said:
    All depends on how the businesses were set up. If he was trading as a sole trader or partnership, then he would loose it all. However, I havent done business studies since 1997
    I suspect it might be something to do with restraint of trade clause in his previous employment contract or termination/settlement agreement. I always received excellent service from the staff at Tone World.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!