Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Captain meets Guthrie

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8574
If you do nothing else, fast forward to the jam right at the end, that is some playing. I love players who twist and turn every note and Guthrie seems to be morphing into a modernised Jeff Beck as each day passes in this regard. Which is fine by me.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wonderful stuff. Had me gripped for the whole video. Thanks for posting.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's one long interview I plan to watch for once, thanks!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    The captains amazing! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    How frickin talented is Guthrie? We should really be burning him at the stake

He is clearly in league with Lucifer !
  • Is chappers still doing vids?
    It's late so I watched 20mins worth - really good stuff. The end solo was thoroughly excellent - I dare not pick out fave bits as I'd be here all night. Tremendous!
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    edited November 2016
    I couldn't watch all of it as I find the capatalist incredibly annoying. It'd be nice to see someone Guthrie interviewed by someone with a similar level of intellect....also, someone who doesn't talk over or ask the same daft questions he's been asked countless times over the last ten years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    I think Lee Anderton's a good guy. Presenting videos well is very difficult and he does a decent job. Sure, it's a bit awkward at times, but I couldn't do any better. If you watch him on That Pedal Show episode, you get a better sense of his personality. However, I must admit, I can't stand this 'Captain' malarkey. We all have amusing 'in jokes' and nicknames at our places of work, but they're completely uninteresting and unfunny to the rest of the population. IMO not everything needs a gimmick - the shirts on Guitar Paradiso grate a bit too. Let the gear/player be centre of attention. 
    PS. 'That Pedal Show' is a genius name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    just finished the vid, the interview was interesting, always good to hear Guthrie talk as much as watch him play sometimes. The end jam I can definitely hear the Jeff Beck thing in there but still with Guthries own wacky stuff mixed in. Enjoyed that.
  • Not my style of playing at all,  but i really enjoyed the interview. Guthrie is on another level,  it was like watching an interview with the nutty professor. Top stuff.
  • I think Lee's heart is in the right place :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Never met Lee but I've had some dealings wih Andertons over the past couple of weeks and the 'other' guys there couldn't have been more helpful. Shame I'm so far away from them as I'd be in there a lot if I was closer.
  • Whats going thro Guthrie's head....is he thinking this Captain is really strong with the blues and music is his soul?

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1650
    Guthrie, he's a wizard. 

Its the fluency in his playing that is just staggering, it's like he never has to stop to think about what he is doing. It's a constant stream of music. 

I like these interviews more than anything else the Andertons site does. I think he makes a good interviewer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I've never really been able to get into Guthries music but always admired his playing, but what really stuck me is how Guthrie has really transcended shred / technical guitar and just uses his otherworldly technique to express himself and use his personality in his playing. So few technical guitar players can do this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5341
    I really like his open and frank self revelation, what an interesting interview
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    dindude said:
    I've never really been able to get into Guthries music but always admired his playing, but what really stuck me is how Guthrie has really transcended shred / technical guitar and just uses his otherworldly technique to express himself and use his personality in his playing. So few technical guitar players can do this.
    Agree- I think it is because his focus is on making music, rather than being focused purely on guitar-pyro.
    That is a conscious thing to be thinking about- and it is hard because once you develop a bit of musical vocabulary it is very hard to continually go back and reassess.
    The temptation to continue doing what you are already good at is pretty strong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guthrie really isn't my kind of player - but it's impossible to watch this without being really taken with the guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Guthrie is an insane talent and I enjoyed hearing him talk and play, but Lee was pretty annoying, recycling cliche after cliche and generally yammering on too much. Would've liked to see him interviewed by someone a little more interesting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Great player, and what a refreshing change, an Andertons video without the silly salute along with 'GREETINGS, I'm Chappers' aren't we whacky guys?! malarkey. 
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17923
    tFB Trader
    Guitarse said:
    Great player, and what a refreshing change, an Andertons video without the silly salute along with 'GREETINGS, I'm Chappers' aren't we whacky guys?! malarkey. 
    To be fair only a fraction of Andertons videos feature Chappers now. I watch loads of Mick and Danish Pete ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom