Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Captain meets Guthrie

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10620
    The bit about growing up in the eighties being force fed a diet of shit music struck a chord with me, being roughly the same age. Amazing guitarist and I enjoyed the interview so thanks for posting
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    edited November 2016
    The bit where Lee has a little dig at 80s pop irked me. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Human League etc. wrote some great songs. Infinitely more interesting than endless SRV wannabe drivel. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Danny1969 said:
    The bit about growing up in the eighties being force fed a diet of shit music struck a chord with me, being roughly the same age. Amazing guitarist and I enjoyed the interview so thanks for posting
    Were you really though? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Were you really though? 
    We had local radio but that was mainly adverts and the same pop Radio 1 played. Radio 2 back then was very geared towards older people. Top of the pops was again the same haircut 100 \ Kajagoogoo  \ Bananarama drivel. We couldn't afford to buy records and even if we could we had nothing to play them on. We couldn't afford food half the time let alone buying music. Radio was about the only thing we had until I was about 13 and then cassettes allowed us to record things. Tommy Vance on the Friday rock show was the weekly dose of what we wanted and recording it meant putting the shitty mono cassette recorder as close to the radiogram as I could and hope the dog didn't start barking :)

The above is not to say there wasn't any good music released in the eighties, there was.  

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I'd say people are being very harsh on Lee given he has pulled some amazing people into these interviews over the past few months.   40 minutes of Misha Mansoor, Guthrie Govan, Bernie Marsden, Ola Englund, Ian Thornley, Joey Landreth etc.

Please, pray tell, who else is giving you this in depth access right now?  I'm genuinely interested to know.  

Let's hear some alternatives as interviewers.  Lots of criticism with not many alternatives being offered.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    prh777 said:
    I'd say people are being very harsh on Lee given he has pulled some amazing people into these interviews over the past few months.   40 minutes of Misha Mansoor, Guthrie Govan, Bernie Marsden, Ola Englund, Ian Thornley, Joey Landreth etc.

Please, pray tell, who else is giving you this in depth access right now?  I'm genuinely interested to know.  

Let's hear some alternatives as interviewers.  Lots of criticism with not many alternatives being offered.  

In depth? Didn't hear anything in that interview that I haven't heard before.

Would have helped if he'd done his research too....Erotic Cakes released in the mid '90s? Fool.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Rave said:
    prh777 said:

In depth? Didn't hear anything in that interview that I haven't heard before.

Would have helped if he'd done his research too....Erotic Cakes released in the mid '90s? Fool.
    Yep.  Raving idiot clearly.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    prh777 said:

There's a few people on here who could do a really good job....

Remember he has the weight of his business behind him - the vids are there to sell stuff. It's not a public service, it's marketing.

Should set up a Fretboard Youtube channel..

• prh777 said:

The Guitar Hour
    GuitarSpotGr
    GuitarMessenger
    No Guitar Is Safe podcast.
    Boss Tone Radio.
    Premier Guitar.
    Sweetwater Sound.
    Guitarist Magazine.

Let us know what you think when you've watched them / listened to them.  

• carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    Danny1969 said:We couldn't afford to buy records and even if we could we had nothing to play them on. We couldn't afford food half the time let alone buying music. Radio was about the only thing we had until I was about 13 and then cassettes allowed us to record things. 
    You had a radio, did you? Well, we had nothing. We lived inside a latrine in an estate and would only hear music as people hummed it as they took a shit in our house. We had to piece together these off-key bits of music to try to imagine what the songs sounded like. Don't come here and complain about radio!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    you had a Latrine ? .... we dreamed of living in a Latrine !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched it all and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was not an efficient quest for Facts About Guthrie Govan but I enjoyed the exploration of ideas/attitudes and the conversational style in general.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • carlos said:
    Danny1969 said:We couldn't afford to buy records and even if we could we had nothing to play them on. We couldn't afford food half the time let alone buying music. Radio was about the only thing we had until I was about 13 and then cassettes allowed us to record things. 
    You had a radio, did you? Well, we had nothing. We lived inside a latrine in an estate and would only hear music as people hummed it as they took a shit in our house. We had to piece together these off-key bits of music to try to imagine what the songs sounded like. Don't come here and complain about radio!
    Is that why you perform avant-garde free jazz?
  • Loobs said:
    The bit where Lee has a little dig at 80s pop irked me. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Human League etc. wrote some great songs. Infinitely more interesting than endless SRV wannabe drivel. 
    Not more interesting than SRV himself tho, it's a bit unfair to compare pop greats with guys ripping off a blues guitarist. 

Its a bit like saying, Elvis infinitely more interesting songwriting than Alvin Stardust. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• prh777 said:

The Guitar Hour
    GuitarSpotGr
    GuitarMessenger
    Boss Tone Radio.
    Premier Guitar.
    Sweetwater Sound.
    Guitarist Magazine.

I've just found the No Guitar is Safe podcast and I think it's bloody awesome, finally a podcast where the guy is not some punk fan or indie shoe gazer, plus the guy can play!!! Really forces the stars to put the effort in on the jams I think. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I think you're all being very unfair.
    Chappers and the Captain were the reason why I first wanted to pick up a guitar.

And smash them over the head with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    carlos said:
    Is that why you perform avant-garde free jazz?
    It has come full circle.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4403

prh777 said:

The Guitar Hour
    GuitarSpotGr
    GuitarMessenger
    Boss Tone Radio.
    Premier Guitar.
    Sweetwater Sound.
    Guitarist Magazine.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Honestly - I really enjoyed this, I think Lee comes across as a really nice bloke and it's an interesting chat.

Same with him on that pedal show - I think he's infinitely more watchable without Chappers gurning
  • Guthrie usually sounds much better than that. Great playing, terrible tone.

I really rate Guthrie. He's clearly a very intelligent man as well as an insane talent. No ego, no bullshit, quite thoughtful and very well spoken. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.