Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Captain meets Guthrie

What's Hot

Comments

• I find Mick annoying :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had it on as background and got drawn in. Interesting interview.
    I was looking at some pedal demoes and one was an Andertons one from maybe three years ago and his on screen persona between then and now is quite changed ( and for the better). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Guthrie's expression and playing are just so wonderful. Although I'm a massive fan, I still think he will reach his peak when he reigns in the amount of notes that he plays a bit more often. I think he works really well with Steven Wilson, who bullies him a bit to get some great solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I think Lee's heart is in the right place :)
    I think that can be said of most people unless they're on external life support.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    axisus said:
    Guthrie's expression and playing are just so wonderful. Although I'm a massive fan, I still think he will reach his peak when he reigns in the amount of notes that he plays a bit more often. I think he works really well with Steven Wilson, who bullies him a bit to get some great solos.
    I kinda agree, and I don't think it's far off, the notes-per-minute has definately slowed more recently in favour of interesting phrasing and subtle note manipulation.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Very nice, thank you for posting. The last solo is fantastic and tbh I don't mind the Anderton guy either, obviously a guitar man through and through.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27115
    edited November 2016
    dindude said:
    I've never really been able to get into Guthries music but always admired his playing, but what really stuck me is how Guthrie has really transcended shred / technical guitar and just uses his otherworldly technique to express himself and use his personality in his playing. So few technical guitar players can do this.
    I think the difference is that most of us are hanging on to the guitar for dear life, and working within the confines of the limitations it imposes on us; folk like Guthrie, Vai etc make the guitar their bitch, and it bloody-well does as they tell it to. The result is that they can get any sound that pops into their head out of the guitar, whereas we normal humans can only get an approximation.

Also...that felt less like an interview and more like two nice guys talking about their favourite thing in the world. That's no bad thing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    Great video. Playing is off the charts and a refreshing approach too. Interesting discussion on the modelling vs amp thing too.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Amazing video, as good as the Ian Thornley one.  Downloaded!
  • Rave said:
    I couldn't watch all of it as I find the capatalist incredibly annoying. It'd be nice to see someone Guthrie interviewed by someone with a similar level of intellect....also, someone who doesn't talk over or ask the same daft questions he's been asked countless times over the last ten years.
    It's better than when Rebecca Dirks was doing a Rig Rundown with Guthrie and she commented that his frets were shiny.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    I love his album 'West Coast Groves' no-one ever seems to reference it but it is my favorite guitar tone of all time... At the moment! 
  • terrible interviewer.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • enjo said:
    I love his album 'West Coast Groves' no-one ever seems to reference it but it is my favorite guitar tone of all time... At the moment! 
    I've got that, but it's more of a tutorial with tabs and backing tracks that an album as such.

It's not a competition.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    And first prize for Most Obtuse Question in a Long-Winded Fashion goes to...
  • Dear 'captain' no one wants to hear your tales of clarinet lessons or evaluation of Guthrie's social skills. 

Could listen to Guthrie play all day. Obviously, he has unbelievable technique, but so much more musicality than most 'shredders'.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I would've liked to watch the video because although I don't like the stuff Govan plays, there's no denying he's very talented but I just couldn't bear over an hour of Lee Anderton's endless wittering.
    Sorry. I just find him very annoying.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    enjo said:
    I've got that, but it's more of a tutorial with tabs and backing tracks that an album as such.

I didn't know that! I got a digital copy from google play, will have to try and find the lessons & tabs now!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    A lot of waffle. I do understand what Mr anderton was trying to convey, he's a similar age to Guthrie. So i guess in a roundabout way, he wanted to find out what makes him Guthrie. 
    Still would have liked to have heard more from Guthrie. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • terrible interviewer.
    It always feels like he is just waiting for his turn to talk about himself
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17923
    tFB Trader
    I thought Lee did alright considering he's a shopkeeper not a journalist.

Guthrie is just great . I'm not fussed about super technical stuff but he's such a great communicator both musically and verbally that I always love anything he is involved with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom