Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Captain meets Guthrie

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    The playing from around 6:40 in the video is astonishing. He really is something special... but we knew that already, I guess.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited November 2016
    Bucket said:
    The playing from around 6:40 in the video is astonishing. He really is something special... but we knew that already, I guess.
    Yeah but look at those short ass fingers he has. You'd blatantly 'ave him. http://imgsrc.art.com/img/print/print/gustave-dore-jacob-wrestling-with-the-angel_a-g-3487552-8880730.jpg?w=670&h=894

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/bc49ee_0936267da6134bce8ddea635d321b96c.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24879
    edited November 2016
    Sassafras said:
    Much as I enjoyed Guthrie's playing, I did find his eyebrows slightly disconcerting. They seemed to have a life of their own,  almost as if they'd been possessed by some restless spirit.
    'Slightly'?

Thats a future serial-killer right there....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Pure quality. Thanks for posting that.
  • One of my memories of Guthrie was that he did a bunch of lessons on a second hand Gordon Smith because people had been saying ' oh that's easy with your posh gear.'  

Deijavoo said:
    I was a kid and had always been into bands but had just started trying to learn how to play properly (still trying), my mum got me a GT magazine because it had A-Z of great riffs with Nirvana in it. It also had Guthrie transcribing Under A Glass Moon. 

I still have that lesson ripped out on top of my desk today despite not being into Dream Theatre at all, because I was just blown away with Guthrie's approach and playing. Bit of a hero of mine so I've not really learned much from this video but still a great watch IMO.

BTW, just about got Smells Like Teen Spirit down now.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dude could play a child's ukulele better than I could play a PRS dragon... 

That's another story though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Lee is a cool guy. Jealousy is a motherfucker......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Deijavoo said:

I like the way that rolls off the tongue. Great phrasing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    blueskunk said:

I will never understand why criticising, mocking or having any sort of opinion about someone is immediately construed as jealousy.
    I rip the piss out of Trump. Does that mean I'm jealous of him? Jealous of his looks, his mentality, his inability to sound coherent, his hair, really, jealous?
  • One of my memories of Guthrie was that he did a bunch of lessons on a second hand Gordon Smith because people had been saying ' oh that's easy with your posh gear.'  

Where/when was this?

There is *some* truth in saying that a really nice guitar is easier to play than a shit one, but regardless of the instrument you can be pretty sure Guthrie plays it better than most. A fact he no doubt proved with that Gordon Smith.

Deijavoo said:
    I was a kid and had always been into bands but had just started trying to learn how to play properly (still trying), my mum got me a GT magazine because it had A-Z of great riffs with Nirvana in it. It also had Guthrie transcribing Under A Glass Moon. 

I still have that lesson ripped out on top of my desk today despite not being into Dream Theatre at all, because I was just blown away with Guthrie's approach and playing. Bit of a hero of mine so I've not really learned much from this video but still a great watch IMO.

BTW, just about got Smells Like Teen Spirit down now.

I still have a big stack of GT mags from the Guthrie era. Guthrie, Phil Hilborne and Dave Kilminster probably had as much influence on my playing as anyone in the bands I listened to back then. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @english_bob the Gordon Smith thing was a long time ago but he definitely did it. IIRC it was primarily for a GT blues special. 
  • I very much enjoyed that, thanks. I also enjoyed watching Guthrie give Satch and Vai a respectful taste of their own medicine on the recent G3 YT videos. Vai especially seems rattled during the jams. Mind boggling really.

Lee's "what's the difference between us" line was good but Guthrie looks a bit uncomfortable talking about his school years imo. Having an older peer group egging him on and loads of time to practice seems to have been the winning combo for him.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Sassafras said:
    blueskunk said:

I will never understand why criticising, mocking or having any sort of opinion about someone is immediately construed as jealousy.
    I rip the piss out of Trump. Does that mean I'm jealous of him? Jealous of his looks, his mentality, his inability to sound coherent, his hair, really, jealous?
    there is a difference though and it's all about context.

Lee is really just a guy building up his business, trying to do youtube promotion. The ridicule, mocking and criticisms are questionable in their justification... he's being pretty successful and in the main providing decent content. He's supporting the guitar/instrument industry. He contributes positively. Hence the must be jealousy opinion - the piss taking is a little contrived and unwarranted, he's not really doing much to justify it.

Trump is totally different. At best he is slightly loud with questionable opinions that no presidential candidate should have. He is also very much in the public eye and what he says and does will have an impact on our lives directly or indirectly. Seriously a wall between USA and Mexico that he wants the Mexicans to build and pay for? That deserves all the piss taking it gets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Having just seen the 'you lot are all jealous' comment on another Discussion this morning I do find it puzzling. It invariably doesn't make any obvious sense and is about on the same level of debate as ' my dad is bigger than your dad.' 

Someone accused me of being jealous of Chris Evans on here after I'd said something critical. Just bloody nonsense. If I was jealous of someone I'd probably just say ' I am jealous.' 

Sassafras said:
    blueskunk said:

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I got most of the way through this last night. Anderton seemed incredibly uncomfortable.

Guthrie's playing has developed again in leaps and bounds. I'm calling demonic possession, especially given those eyebrows.

• Lee Anderton Guthrie for President 2020!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322

Trump is totally different. At best he is slightly loud with questionable opinions that no presidential candidate should have. He is also very much in the public eye and what he says and does will have an impact on our lives directly or indirectly. Seriously a wall between USA and Mexico that he wants the Mexicans to build and pay for? That deserves all the piss taking it gets.

You're just jealous because he's a billionaire with a trophy wife and a fine, lustrous head of blond hair. Who wouldn't be?
  • Deijavoo said:

I much preferred his tone with his PRS, but that prob me just projecting.
    in fact, he was the single biggest reason I wanted one, as he won GOTY the year I started playing.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    edited November 2016

I still have a big stack of GT mags from the Guthrie era. Guthrie, Phil Hilborne and Dave Kilminster probably had as much influence on my playing as anyone in the bands I listened to back then. 

I'd say that too, if I could play at even one tenth of the technical level that they can. I have all them "feels" I guess.
  • Deijavoo said:
    english_bob said:

I'd say that too, if I could play at even one tenth of the technical level that they can. I have all them "feels" I guess.

Oh I can't play anywhere near the technical level of any of them either. I think I drew as much from things like the little comments they'd make in transcription notes or on the CDs that hinted at their approach to musicianship in general.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.