Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Captain meets Guthrie

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I don't really get all the Lee Anderton hate. He's a bloke who has done an amazing job with a music store and taken advantage of less traditional methods of advertising brilliantly.
    He's not Parkinson but, with the exception of John Bishop, nobody knows how to interview any more.
    Everyone moans about Chapman and how they prefer Anderton. They now do loads of stuff without Chapman and it's still not good enough.
    I've never met the man, but he comes across as someone I'd happily have a pint with and chat guitars with.
    He's not a TV star, he's not using our licence money, and I'm pretty sure making that sort of video is not as easy as it looks.
    Fair play to him I think.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm feeling like I should, but I have no idea who Guthrie Govan is. I will give this a watch and see what I think as I like Lee Anderton in these videos.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Loobs said:
    The bit where Lee has a little dig at 80s pop irked me. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Human League etc. wrote some great songs. Infinitely more interesting than endless SRV wannabe drivel. 
    Not more interesting than SRV himself tho, it's a bit unfair to compare pop greats with guys ripping off a blues guitarist. 

Its a bit like saying, Elvis infinitely more interesting songwriting than Alvin Stardust. 
    I'd personally say that they are infinitely more interesting than SRV himself.

I don't think anyone is 'hating' Lee Anderton. The point of a forum is to discuss, praise, criticise. Why do people get so up in arms when people do that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    edited November 2016
    Guthrie is awesome. This goes beyond his incredible technique. He's hugely creative. His music is supreme. Do resort to your headphones and listen to his solo album. Close your eyes and lay off the computer. Just relax and listen intently to his music: it'll blow you away. AND he is a top-notch teacher. I'm looking forward to the Aristocrats gig. Can't wait.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27851
    edited November 2016
    Am I the only one who's going to stick their head above the parapet and say that while Govan is clearly extremely talented at controlling the guitar, his entire demeanour leaves me utterly cold - both playing and speaking? He's obviously a nice guy, I just don't care how many clever things he can do and I don't find him interesting to hear speak.

Conversely, i have no significant issue with "the Captain", beyond that interviewing is clearly not his primary calling. But it's also not his day job, so who cares? I've seen many for whom it *is* their day job do significantly worse.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Loobs said:

I don't think anyone is 'hating' Lee Anderton. The point of a forum is to discuss, praise, criticise. Why do people get so up in arms when people do that?
    Are you new here? The anti-Captain/Chappers circlejerk is old and extremely tired.

I'm not a massive fan of GG's output, but he comes across really well in this, and makes me want to play. That's a great quality.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    carlos said:
    Danny1969 said:We couldn't afford to buy records and even if we could we had nothing to play them on. We couldn't afford food half the time let alone buying music. Radio was about the only thing we had until I was about 13 and then cassettes allowed us to record things. 
    You had a radio, did you? Well, we had nothing. We lived inside a latrine in an estate and would only hear music as people hummed it as they took a shit in our house. We had to piece together these off-key bits of music to try to imagine what the songs sounded like. Don't come here and complain about radio!

Luxury!
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    I will say this, I really liked the sound that GG got out of that LP.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Am I the only one who's going to stick their head above the parapet and say that while Govan is clearly extremely talented at controlling the guitar, his entire demeanour leaves me utterly cold - both playing and speaking? He's obviously a nice guy, I just don't care how many clever things he can do and I don't find him interesting to hear speak.
    Yes I believe you are entirely alone. So alone that you will soon be popping down to your local 24hr garage when you don't need to just so that you can engage with other human beings, who you will then refer to as "your friends". That's how alone you are.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Well, I managed to sit through the last 5 or 6 minutes and glad I did.
    He's an insanely good, fast thinking guitarist.
    I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
    Glad I didn't watch the whole thing though. Lee was in world class wittering form.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Bidley said:
    Loobs said:

Are you new here? The anti-Captain/Chappers circlejerk is old and extremely tired.

I'm not a massive fan of GG's output, but he comes across really well in this, and makes me want to play. That's a great quality.
    No, not new. I just didn't see anything that would qualify as 'hate'. 
  • Agree I also don't  get the Lee hate - I think he's great!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Cheers for this!
  • I thought that was an interesting interview. I actually like that Lee is clearly not a journalist and clearly looks a little out of his comfort zone. I think he gets a better discussion about music and influence going than many...

• prh777 said:
    I'd say people are being very harsh on Lee given he has pulled some amazing people into these interviews over the past few months.   40 minutes of Misha Mansoor, Guthrie Govan, Bernie Marsden, Ola Englund, Ian Thornley, Joey Landreth etc.

Please, pray tell, who else is giving you this in depth access right now?  I'm genuinely interested to know.  

Let's hear some alternatives as interviewers.  Lots of criticism with not many alternatives being offered.  

The Guitar Hour
    GuitarSpotGr
    GuitarMessenger
    No Guitar Is Safe podcast.
    Boss Tone Radio.
    Premier Guitar.
    Sweetwater Sound.
    Guitarist Magazine.

Let us know what you think when you've watched them / listened to them.  

Just listened to the latest NGiS podcast and I will be a regular listener, thanks for that. It is a different format to this video, but amazing in its own right!
  • Loobs said:
    Loobs said:
    The bit where Lee has a little dig at 80s pop irked me. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Human League etc. wrote some great songs. Infinitely more interesting than endless SRV wannabe drivel. 
    Not more interesting than SRV himself tho, it's a bit unfair to compare pop greats with guys ripping off a blues guitarist. 

Its a bit like saying, Elvis infinitely more interesting songwriting than Alvin Stardust. 
    I'd personally say that they are infinitely more interesting than SRV himself.

I was only discussing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Bidley said:
    Loobs said:

He makes us want to play. Enough said. That's perfect. Anyway, I'd suggest you listen to his material. It's beyond amazing. Have a go at his magnanimous Ner Ner.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Much as I enjoyed Guthrie's playing, I did find his eyebrows slightly disconcerting. They seemed to have a life of their own,  almost as if they'd been possessed by some restless spirit.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • He'd also stolen Mick Taylor's Costa cup from That Pedal Show. Suspicious character...

Sassafras said:
    Much as I enjoyed Guthrie's playing, I did find his eyebrows slightly disconcerting. They seemed to have a life of their own,  almost as if they'd been possessed by some restless spirit.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I was a kid and had always been into bands but had just started trying to learn how to play properly (still trying), my mum got me a GT magazine because it had A-Z of great riffs with Nirvana in it. It also had Guthrie transcribing Under A Glass Moon. 

I still have that lesson ripped out on top of my desk today despite not being into Dream Theatre at all, because I was just blown away with Guthrie's approach and playing. Bit of a hero of mine so I've not really learned much from this video but still a great watch IMO.

BTW, just about got Smells Like Teen Spirit down now.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom