This is one talented & versatile player!

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    Voxman said:
    Having heard the other vids I readily accept that the first vid guys technique was a bit rougher, some wrong notes etc - I didn't realise it was going to be taken apart in such detail, but I'll know for next time.  I just enjoyed the vid as a collective thing (I don't know why Stairway was singled out) but I still think he's very versatile.  

To put this in perspective, there are folk on here who have had musical training, formal lessons, or who might even give lessons, or are just pro-players with superb technique & a great ear - or are just naturally gifted  Sadly, I don't fall into any of this - I'm just a self-taught bread & butter player who's never had any lessons, can't read a note of music, and never played in big/pro bands - I just enjoy playing, do the best I can with minimal talent, and just try to entertain the audience - so I accept I'm probably more easily impressed than some of you here.  
    Part of what's great about being a guitarist, is that you don't have to be amazing to enjoy what you're doing. Every new thing you learn brings that same sense of achievement and of advancing. That in turn opens more doors for things to learn next.
    The guy in the originally posted vid is on his way to becoming a great player. But how good he seems to someone, will always depend on where they are in their own journey of learning the instrument, in relation to him. He has a grasp of the technique and is developing the dexterity needed, but is yet to develop some of the finesse of a truly seasoned musician.
    It's easy to look at a more advanced player and think that they are specially blessed or that they are at an unattainable level. But that is what's really great about being a Guitarist... If you stick at it, analyse your own playing and push yourself to constantly learn, you can improve to whatever level you want to reach.

Definitely, & I agree it is all relative.  To tell you the truth, I have no idea as to what level my playing would be considered to be at and I must admit after this thread I feel more than a bit self-conscious... or at least more self-aware of my many shortcomings! I know I'm not talented, so that's an easy one. I like to think I'm reasonably 'competent' and can hold a tune with a bit of feel esp. live, but I have no illusions that I'm no where near 'pro' standard!  Have quite a few very amateur vids on you tube, with not great sound quality, some original, some covers, some demos, some live gig clips - as always, some better than others.  Plus a few bits and pieces on Sound Cloud (eclectic mix of electric, acoustic, slide, rock, jazz, country etc).  Not getting any younger so harder for me now to really up my game as compared to younger players.  

If anyone's interested please do look in and feel free to critique: - 
    https://soundcloud.com/richard-birch-1

The only kind of cover I ever did was the very first video I put up (done with a crap Kodak camera) - Jimi Hendrix I ain't! lol

These were very early stuff too, more working out a basic structure to backing tracks.  I've always tried to muck around with different styles (I use the term style loosely!):-

And here's an old one live  (btw, the singer is mm daughter Lydia - her very first gig with us when she was only 15!):

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, don't quite know what happened to the you-tube link:  

https://www.youtube.com/user/Voxman5
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Awww op their was no need to change the thread title, its opinion based,  if you thought it was brilliant then that's what it was. 

I thought he was good,  and can see the effort he put into learning all the solos. 

You didn't need to be swayed one way or another. 
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    I'm not great but I do try to keep my guitar in tune and play in tune. You don't have to be a guitar god to listen and judge other people's playing.

• mixolyd said:
    What this thread has shown IMO is that despite this being a forum of guitar players, there is something of a lack of understanding of what makes a good rock solo performance among some here.

Just flicking through this Discussion, haven't watched any of the clips, but this leapt out a bit. I don't think you need to have any understanding of the mechanics of the guitar at all to decide if you like how a solo sounds or not ( presumably the majority of people who enjoy rock music don't). Maybe that's not what you meant, just how I read it.

Although I'm more usually annoyed on here by people who do have a technical understanding but are childishly dismissive of music they ought to be able to appreciate at least as craft. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Awww op their was no need to change the thread title, its opinion based,  if you thought it was brilliant then that's what it was. 

I thought he was good,  and can see the effort he put into learning all the solos. 

Yeah, you're right posts made me feel a bit awkward - but changed it back.
  • Voxman said: 
    Awww op their was no need to change the thread title, its opinion based,  if you thought it was brilliant then that's what it was. 

Yeah, you're right posts made me feel a bit awkward - but changed it back.
    Good stuff. Your opinion  is not wrong. If you like the guy then it's great that you share the videos etc. But it's a forum. Critique and discussion is expected!
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    mixolyd said:
    What this thread has shown IMO is that despite this being a forum of guitar players, there is something of a lack of understanding of what makes a good rock solo performance among some here.

Just flicking through this Discussion, haven't watched any of the clips, but this leapt out a bit. I don't think you need to have any understanding of the mechanics of the guitar at all to decide if you like how a solo sounds or not ( presumably the majority of people who enjoy rock music don't). Maybe that's not what you meant, just how I read it.

Although I'm more usually annoyed on here by people who do have a technical understanding but are childishly dismissive of music they ought to be able to appreciate at least as craft. 
    Of course anyone is in a position to say what they like but that's different from identifying excellence as was claimed for that video.

Also it's really not about the technical aspects of guitar - it's about the technical aspects of music and musical performance.  Anyone of musical experience and intelligence could make the critique of his tuning, his phrasing, his feel and tone whether they play violin or just have a deep love and appreciation of music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    edited December 2016
    Guitar experts unite! You sure showed the OP!! What a fool for posting what he thought was a good player, but don't worry, you took him down a peg or two! that'll show him, he won't make that mistake again! 

Great playing by the way voxman
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exorcist said:
    Guitar experts unite! You sure showed the OP!! What a fool for posting what he thought was a good player, but don't worry, you took him down a peg or two! that'll show him, he won't make that mistake again! 

Internet shocker - OP posts an opinion. Other people disagree.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Classic!! Nice one!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3893
    His sunglasses are fucking ace.
  • kinkin Frets: 1016
    I'm not that keen on his sunglasses.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Exorcist said:

You're right: we should keep quiet whenever we see room for improvement.  So what if a players development may be held back because he's not being encouraged to look more closely at things - it's more important to make sure nobody's feelings get hurt.  God forbid we may appear petty or over critical in the eyes of a few who don't take the time to slow down and see what's really going on.

The OP posted his position.  It was criticised and critiqued, OP learned something and may as a result be in a better position to continue improving as a player.  He may also (based on what I've seen of his videos) realise that in some aspects he's already capable of better performances than the one he posted in the OP.
    When you become more mature and a better sunglasses wearer you will realise the error you have made. If you had been trained in sunglasses to a higher level, you would know his sunglasses are ok for a beginner but infact all wrong. as you become more of a sunglasses expert you will understand true sunglasses skill.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    mixolyd said:

The OP posted his position.  It was criticised and critiqued, OP learned something and may as a result be in a better position to continue improving as a player.  He may also (based on what I've seen of his videos) realise that in some aspects he's already capable of better performances than the one he posted in the OP.

That's about as patronising as it gets.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Sassafras said:
    mixolyd said:

That's about as patronising as it gets.
    But its almost identical to what was said in Sax masterclasses I attended many years ago. The tutors made the point that any musician needs to make the choice between wanting to be a happy-with-what-I-do amateur (like me) and an I-seriously-want-to-get-better-than-amateur, which I guess is also @mixolyd's point.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    edited December 2016
    Ah - so what started as a nice discussion about the intricacies of excellent technical guitar playing vs good guitar descends into a sarky debate on internet etiquette. Way to go @Exorcist ;;

Sorry, but if you post up an "oh my god, this is the best thing EVEEEERRRRRR" post - expect other people to be like - er no elements of that are a bit shit, if that's what they think.

The guy in the OP is out of tune. Especially his string bends. Therefore in my book he has some way to go before being excellent. Even if his technique in other areas is very good. He also made some mistakes. There is nothing wrong in pointing this out, is there? Or should we all go - yeah man that's great! I for one like to be told when there are things I haven't seen or heard in my playing - it's one way in which I develop and get better as a musician. Life without critique leads to mediocrity.

Seeing as we've descended it to dumb-ass sunglasses analogies, I might as well add to the childishness; 

Not pointing out the errors: its like designing a stunningly pretty building and then being pissed off when someone tells you that the foundations were wrong and the building will sink in 10 years. Because it looks so fucking beautiful, most people wouldn't know or care and just go wow - that building is fucking stunning - yet, there underneath its flawed.

Striving for excellence should never be sneered at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I don't think anyone has a problem with 'errors' being pointed out - it's the way it's done that matters.  The attitude displayed in some of the posts in this thread is truly appalling  :(
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:
    I don't think anyone has a problem with 'errors' being pointed out - it's the way it's done that matters.  The attitude displayed in some of the posts in this thread is truly appalling  
    Funny because I see most of the snide mostly coming the other way?

Exorcist said:

Voxman said:

If you can play that better mixolyd I'd love to hear you mate - honestly! 
    If this was QI, you would be Alan Davies and the alarm would be sounding right now, with the screens flashing up the words "Can't criticise unless you can do better"
    Strangefan said:
    Haha you're the apitomy of why guitarists get a bad name,  can't stand other people more talented so have to put them down. 

Sassafras said:
    None of those guys are as good as me.
    I always hit exactly the right note at the right time and in the right place.
    I'm bloody perfect.