This is one talented & versatile player!

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:
    I'm in no position to criticise anyone's playing ability, but why waste whatever you have learning all the solos on your dad's Top Gear driving compilation CD?

I've been gigging since the 70s and I don't know how to play ANY of that shit.

Different strokes for different folks. I've made a lot of money from learning that shit as it's the stuff people want to hear. Most of those Dad Rock solos have funded my equipment and justified the practice time. Being a creative or original musician is only a small part of the game.

Cacofonix said:
    Voxman said:
    All I can say is, wow - it's not just the tone, fluidity and notes, it's all the nuances & inflections!  (but perhaps I'm too easily impressed following feedback here!)

I found the originally posted video the best in terms of feel.  The examples posted for accuracy are more accurate, for the most part, I think, but I thought his note choices, apart from the the triplet run, which jarred, pretty close to the original.  The others seemed a bit sterile to me.
    And there you go. Your hearing in a totally different way to me. I can't get past the out of tune bends in the OP, which really ruins the overall performance for me, the rest of it is well played and fluid, no doubt - and closeness to the original is not the be all and end all. But those bends, argh. If those solos were on a studio recorded version - I'd have to throw it in the bin. 

To be honest I've never really got the whole sterile playing vs passionate playing, it's not something I can really hear. Live I maybe can, although it's more of a band thing than a solo thing, but never on record. So often solos are comp takes anyway, for example Gilmour is someone who records a ton of solos then cut's and pastes the licks together to form "the one" there is a video somewhere where he describes using charts of the various takes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Different strokes for different folks. I've made a lot of money from learning that shit as it's the stuff people want to hear. Most of those Dad Rock solos have funded my equipment and justified the practice time. Being a creative or original musician is only a small part of the game.

Fair enough, there's just practically no "rock scene" where I do most of my gigging, it's the girls who go out and want to dance, not their dads.

I had around 80 people singing the guitar intro to Hold Back the River along with me the night before last, I never really got more than an appreciative nod from the real ale/grey ponytail guys when playing Free or Deep Purple covers.

Sometimes it seems like there's a "standard" repertoire for electric guitar players from a time before most of them were born, which is almost as required as that of their classical or jazz counterparts. It's almost like they're doing it to impress each other, like bodybuilders in a gym.
  • p90fool said:
    I'm in no position to criticise anyone's playing ability, but why waste whatever you have learning all the solos on your dad's Top Gear driving compilation CD?

Well ain't you just the greatest. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:

Fair enough, there's just practically no "rock scene" where I do most of my gigging, it's the girls who go out and want to dance, not their dads.

I had around 80 people singing the guitar intro to Hold Back the River along with me the night before last, I never really got more than an appreciative nod from the real ale/grey ponytail guys when playing Free or Deep Purple covers.

Sometimes it seems like there's a "standard" repertoire for electric guitar players from a time before most of them were born, which is almost as required as that of their classical or jazz counterparts. It's almost like they're doing it to impress each other, like bodybuilders in a gym.
    Ah, Fair enough. I think I misunderstood you actually - I thought you were talking more originals vs covers. 

For sure a covers band needs a mix of stuff but over the years I've had to play a lot of Dad / Classic rock. I also found that over time things really go in and out of fashion. However, people like sing a long classics and Living on a Prayer for example, at the end of the night always gets full on high note vocal sing along.

I think people generally learn because they love the music, rather than look to impress - although I suppose by posting on youtube, you are probably looking for comment by association?

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    I've come to the conclusion that I simply can't stand rock music. Most of it is thoroughly boring.
    I think I'm even going off guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

For sure a covers band needs a mix of stuff but over the years I've had to play a lot of Dad / Classic rock. I also found that over time things really go in and out of fashion. However, people like sing a long classics and Living on a Prayer for example, at the end of the night always gets full on high note vocal sing along.

I think people generally learn because they love the music, rather than look to impress - although I suppose by posting on youtube, you are probably looking for comment by association?

You're right, and I think things like Guitar Hero did a lot to resurrect classic rock for a new generation. In fact, being of a "certain age" I've been asked a few times by younger players how to play things like Led Zeppelin songs and sometimes I don't think they even believe me when I say I don't have a clue but will give it a listen.

I don't think there's anything wrong or egotistical about posting on YouTube - we all like to share knowledge and experiences and never stop learning, it just strikes me as a shame that the usual dozen or so classics crop up all the time.

I love hearing acoustic arrangements of dance tracks, or phenomenal musicians playing simple songs and I think it's kind of a dead end for players like the one in the OP's video to put himself up for comparison with a million other better versions of the same thing when he's obviously a pretty good player himself.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited December 2016
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

It means you sound like you're belittling anyone for wanting to learn classic solos and you're far superior for not learning "ANY of that shit" so in conclusion you came across as a bit if a tool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970
    edited December 2016
    I can play all that stuff and have many, many times in pubs and clubs over the years. Nowadays though it's generally Kings of Leon and Killers riffs that's the new classic rock fodder. Not so much soloing though in those
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Leaving aside the accuracy of his playing (no stones thrown from this glass house today in that respect) the tuning issue is surely a far less subjective point.
    Learning how to tune a guitar, how to keep it in tune (especially good solid restringing technique), and how to recognise when it ISN'T in tune are some of the trickiest things to get a grip on as a novice. Some people never progress past this point and it is a constant source of amazement to myself that I didn't jack it in from frustration before I even got started.

In this case, the guy was probably just over-eager to get down to filming, with the nerves probably making him rush into starting before he checked his tuning properly.....a lesson there for us all, maybe.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Sassafras said:
    I've come to the conclusion that I simply can't stand rock music. Most of it is thoroughly boring.
    I think I'm even going off guitars.
    Despite being in a rock band of sorts I get this sometimes as well. A lot of it is just so bloody cheesy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
     Danny1969 said:
    I can play all that stuff and have many, many times in pubs and clubs over the years. Nowadays though it's generally Kings of Leon and Killers riffs that's the new classic rock fodder. Not so much soloing though in those

I think we all tend to learn stuff for one or more of three key reasons that I can immediately think of:
    1. We like the track/solo and want to learn it for personal satisfaction enjoyment
    2. We need to learn a track for gigging, which may be driven by what we &/or our band mates think our audience wants to hear, and/or what's appropriate for the gig (e.g. material suitable for a wedding or pub gig can be quite different).  
    3. We learn something (song, riff, lick, technique) to extend/expand ourselves musically and as a player, that might not initially directly be for 1 or 2 above, but perhaps involves learning/experimenting with different styles or 'harder' or less familiar songs/techniques that fall outside of our normal comfort level.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:

It means you sound like you're belittling anyone for wanting to learn classic solos and you're far superior for not learning "ANY of that shit" so in conclusion you came across as a bit if a tool. 
    I'm not, so I didn't, Mr Fucking Sarcasm.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited December 2016
    come on gramps theirs no need for the swearing,  you did criticise, it's like saying "I'm not racist but" .... Very angry little man ain't you...... @p90fool the  name is very apt. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Image result for play nice
    Its OK to  Disagree but not OK to Disrespect - Personalised Mug
    Image result for stay cool

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

come on gramps theirs no need for the swearing,  you did criticise, it's like saying "I'm not racist but" .... Very angry little man ain't you...... @p90fool the  name is very apt. 
    Er, no lol

You either haven't bothered to read or have wilfully ignored what I've written about the OP's video and I have no idea why you're picking a fight with me today.

:s
  • No fight but you came across like anyone who leans someone's solos is wasting their time, and you are above that shit, that's how it came across,  if you would have not sworn then the response would have been a lot different, so the fight came from you :) in bothresponses  you used the f word which to me make you sound very angry and totally uncalled for,  but hey it's all good,  it's just an Internet forum @p90fool ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was enjoying this thread until the bickering started. 

To me its its clear that @p90fool was taking issue with the *genre* of music rather than anyone's ability, and was careful not to appear critical. I've really no idea what the justification for being sweaty and confrontational, and I wish it would stop.  
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I think you're all cunts, my dick is clearly the biggest, I've been gigging since 1626 and my playing shits all over yours.

:)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    There is a massive difference between learning the notes and technique compared to the feel and touch, just my 5p worth, that's why it's easy to pick out certain players when you catch snippets of them on the radio, TV etc.