This is one talented & versatile player!

What's Hot

Comments

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    What @twinfan said. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    It's only rock music we're talking about.
    It'd be interesting to hear how some of you react to a jazz solo. 
    Any jazz solo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    edited December 2016
    Sassafras said:
    Any jazz solo.
    Post one up then! Quick you tube search found this - sounds pretty damn well played to me?

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    Sassafras said:
    Any jazz solo.
    Post one up then! Quick you tube search found this - sounds pretty damn well played to me?

Image result for nice jazz
    Image result for nice jazz
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited December 2016
    I mentioned earlier that I've always tried to play different styles - this is something jazzy I did a while back.  It's only an amateur thing but I hope that some of you might like it.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Exorcist said:
    Guitar experts unite! You sure showed the OP!! What a fool for posting what he thought was a good player, but don't worry, you took him down a peg or two! that'll show him, he won't make that mistake again! 

Great playing by the way voxman
    Thanks Exorcist, glad you liked the clips.  :)
    edited December 2016
    Strangefan 
     said:
    Awww op their was no need to change the thread title, its opinion based,  if you thought it was brilliant then that's what it was. 

I thought he was good,  and can see the effort he put into learning all the solos. 

You didn't need to be swayed one way or another. 
    Sassafras said:
    mixolyd said:

The OP posted his position.  It was criticised and critiqued, OP learned something and may as a result be in a better position to continue improving as a player.  He may also (based on what I've seen of his videos) realise that in some aspects he's already capable of better performances than the one he posted in the OP.

That's about as patronising as it gets.

Exorcist said:
    Guitar experts unite! You sure showed the OP!! What a fool for posting what he thought was a good player, but don't worry, you took him down a peg or two! that'll show him, he won't make that mistake again! 

(and) 
    What @twinfan said. 

@twinfan said: I don't think anyone has a problem with 'errors' being pointed out - it's the way it's done that matters.  The attitude displayed in some of the posts in this thread is truly appalling  
    Just wanted to acknowledge and say thank you for the supportive posts guys. Pretty much covers it and nuff said I think!  ;)
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    No problem @Voxman  :)  Some of us guitarists do actually have people skills  ;)
    Well, at least no one's lambasted my Autumn Leaves clip...yet! D
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 627
    Voxman said:
    , I'd really love to see your playing in a video to learn from you, so please do post 'em.  Perhaps someone could start a thread to show off some of the amazing talent that we have here on the FB?  

I did think in the OP that the playing was sharp..pitch wise but thats nothing to do with the playing..but still a good player..the only comment i would have  ....it was more of a learned feel...rather than feel..feel...if that makes sense

Anway i will bite...lol
    This is my bestest attempt at sounding like Dave Gilmour :)

edited December 2016
    Sassafras said:
    It'd be interesting to hear how some of you react to a jazz solo

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    Very nice Barney - Although Gilmore isn't one of my key guitar hero's I do like his restrained and tasteful playing, nice use of delays and vibrato/trem arm, and I thought you did a nice take on his style.  cool

Was that you again on the Chick Corea tune? If so, you're a brave man taking on a piece like that - Chick is an amazing jazz pianist/keybard player.  Its also one of those pieces on which it can be fun to experiment with guitar tone - for me I always think that piece lends itself to a tone that's perhaps a little sweeter and more mellow, but that's just my taste - however, you definitely had some nice latin vibe going on there.  I know how tricky some of those latin/jazz runs and phrasing can be and so I think you did a pretty good job! goodjob
    edited December 2016
    Although I posted earlier in this thread a jazz piece earlier I did (Autumn leaves), as we kinda moved into latin type jazz, here's something original  I wrote and did a rough recording on acoustic (finger style) - never did give it a name!

Voxman said:
    Very nice Barney - Although Gilmore isn't one of my key guitar hero's I do like his restrained and tasteful playing, nice use of delays and vibrato/trem arm, and I thought you did a nice take on his style.  cool

Was that you again on the Chick Corea tune? If so, you're a brave man taking on a piece like that - Chick is an amazing jazz pianist/keybard player.  Its also one of those pieces on which it can be fun to experiment with guitar tone - for me I always think that piece lends itself to a tone that's perhaps a little sweeter and more mellow, but that's just my taste - however, you definitely had some nice latin vibe going on there.  I know how tricky some of those latin/jazz runs and phrasing can be and so I think you did a pretty good job! goodjob
    Thanks ...yeah that was me on the chick corea..mistakes and everything..lol.... its from a while back ...i tend to go for a cleaner tone now.. :)
    Voxman said:
    Although I posted earlier in this thread a jazz piece earlier I did (Autumn leaves), as we kinda moved into latin type jazz, here's something original  I wrote and did a rough recording on acoustic (finger style) - never did give it a name!

Sounds great... its ages since iv played a acoustic..this makes me want to get it out again :)
    edited December 2016
    This one is with more of clean sound
    Blue in Green ...by Miles Davies

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    edited December 2016
    Voxman said:
    All I can say is, wow - it's not just the tone, fluidity and notes, it's all the nuances & inflections!  (but perhaps I'm too easily impressed following feedback here!)

I found the originally posted video the best in terms of feel.  The examples posted for accuracy are more accurate, for the most part, I think, but I thought his note choices, apart from the the triplet run, which jarred, pretty close to the original.  The others seemed a bit sterile to me.
    Barney said:
    This one is with more of clean sound
    Blue in Green ...by Miles Davies

Nice & tasteful!   :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I'm in no position to criticise anyone's playing ability, but why waste whatever you have learning all the solos on your dad's Top Gear driving compilation CD?

I've been gigging since the 70s and I don't know how to play ANY of that shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Barney said:
    Voxman said:
    , I'd really love to see your playing in a video to learn from you, so please do post 'em.  Perhaps someone could start a thread to show off some of the amazing talent that we have here on the FB?  

I did think in the OP that the playing was sharp..pitch wise but thats nothing to do with the playing..but still a good player..the only comment i would have  ....it was more of a learned feel...rather than feel..feel...if that makes sense

Anway i will bite...lol
    This is my bestest attempt at sounding like Dave Gilmour :)

See, now for me, that is very good playing :) I really liked that.