Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Poos needed (warning: sad ending)

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27305
    Curry tonight. You have all my lucky blessings.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Although she hasn't got the all clear it is sounding far more positive and I glad for you that the worst seems to be past.

If she has a MRI I hope you have insurance.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Although she hasn't got the all clear it is sounding far more positive and I glad for you that the worst seems to be past.

If she has a MRI I hope you have insurance.

Unfortunately, my wife cancelled the insurance when she couldn't work in the run up to and aftermath from her own spine operation, and forgot to reinstate it. This is going to be very expensive, I think...I don't begrudge it, but my tax savings may well take a bit of a hit.
    <space for hire>
  • Quick update - went to see Ruby earlier (they're still keeping her in overnight). She's definitely not her normal self, but she was doing her level best to get out of the cage to see us - we opened it up and let her come over to the front, and she was really happy when we put her favourite toy in with her.

They're saying it should just be the pain meds making her dopey. She's still leaning to the right, which would indicate brain swelling, but she's on steroids and a fluid drip overnight so that should improve by morning.

I'm pretty sure she's enjoying herself, at least a little bit - sitting on a heat pad all night, without the other chihuahua (Dutch) to get on her nerves while she's trying to sleep ;)
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    Sorry to hear about that Lee. 

Hope she makes a full recovery soon.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Fingers crossed.
    My V key is broken
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Hope all works out OK.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3929
    Same here. I hate to see animals in pain, particularly dogs.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26815
    edited January 2014
    Just spoken to the vet - she's still leaning/falling to one side, but she's not just sleeping in the cage now. They want to keep her in for another night...we're off to see her again in a bit, because she seemed to perk up a bit when we went yesterday.

Poor little bugger :(

On the bright side, I was talking to a friend earlier - she's had a lot of dogs, and a couple of them had comparable/worse problems (one was very similar, the other one was completely paralysed after an accident). They managed to teach both of them to walk properly again with physio and a lot of hard work and they had years of normality after that; given that Ruby's probably got another 10 years of life in her, that seems like a realistic possibility if there isn't an immediate recovery.

EDIT: Been to see her again - she was more doped-up than last night (she'd just had her pain injection, so her tongue was hanging out), but she actually seemed to be more alert - wagging her tail, and when we got her out of the cage she managed to walk around a bit. Even the vet was surprised and impressed, having been quite non-committal and even a bit negative when talking to us before that.

It still looks like an MRI might be on the cards if there's any sign of deterioration, probably in Cambridge. That's going to be about £1500 including the consultation, but I've told them to just get it booked if there's a need. Some of our friends think we're insane, but...hell, I'm emotionally stunted at the best of times, but I can't stand the thought of not doing everything we can to give her the best chance possible.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If I was in the same position and could do it, I totally would.
    My V key is broken
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    I am so pleased to hear improvement in Ruby's condition.  Being there is so important.

I recon you are the sane ones, after all money is only money, it's only what you can do with it that counts.

Life is a gift, and more precious than anything else, as are the relationships we form.

Those are around long after any transitory money thing.  I am glad Ruby has you in her life.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27718
    Some of our friends think we're insane, but...hell, I'm emotionally stunted at the best of times, but I can't stand the thought of not doing everything we can to give her the best chance possible.
    And some completely understand.

We've spent a fortune on our various dogs over the years, but you have to do it if you care about the little mutts, it's part of the deal.

Stuff is crossed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • My family had to all chip in to cover costs for one of our old dogs, and we never needed to think twice - they're not 'just a dog'.

Good luck, man. Sounds like a right little nipper, my border collie just turned 7 and she still plays with her toys all the time and sucks a blanket before bed, so she's still a puppy, just smarter.

And that's not a joke. She really does that.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Sounding more positive, long may it continue.

It is tough when our wee pals are crocked.
  • Hope the pooch pulls through Lee, preferably without any major exe's :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26815
    edited January 2014
    Just a quick note - my wife's read this thread, and she wanted me to pass on her appreciation for your thoughts (and...."donations"). It really does mean a lot to us both :)
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27718
    It still looks like an MRI might be on the cards if there's any sign of deterioration, probably in Cambridge
    Dick Whites?

Comes recommended - they know what they're doing and its a "nice place" (as much as any hospital is "nice").  One of ours has been there.

The most likely outcome from the MRI is that it shows swelling.  If it shows anything at all - it could still be shock (the temp drop) and severe bruising.  Possible treatments for swelling are anti-inflammatories (Metacam is the usual medication) or brain surgery.  Likely is that they'd give the anti-imflamms first anyway, to see if that works and/or to take the swelling down before trying any surgery.  

Realistically, it'd be a day or three before you could get her booked in for the MRI, so keep with the ant-inflamms, and keep everything crossed.  Hopefully, those will do the job and you can (all) avoid anything more drastic.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Some of our friends think we're insane, but...hell, I'm emotionally stunted at the best of times, but I can't stand the thought of not doing everything we can to give her the best chance possible.

It's absolute bollocks really.  You do what you can for those you love - furry or not.  I knew a MRI was around £1500 total when I posted earlier, but if you spent that much on a guitar no-one would really bat an eyelid.  We all love guitars but you don't love them like you love your family, including the pets.  You could take any guitar I own outside and burn it if it gave our dogs a better chance of survival.  Hell, I'd even do it for our autistic rabbit and he wouldn't even be thankful or give a shit.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • She's home! Vet called us this morning to say that she was more alert and she'd been eating a bit, so she was happy for her to come back - since she's been home for the last hour or so, she's brightened up a lot, so we think the environment might not have been helping her.
    She's still not even slightly as bouncy as she usually is, but that's to be expected. She's also having trouble with her right side, and her left eye's protruding more than usual - that, to me, suggests that it's a swelling on the left side of her brain. I ain't no vet, though...in any case, she's eating and she's very alert.

We've got a course of steroids for her, as well as a couple of meds to help with the gastric side effects of them. Taking her back in for checkups tomorrow and every couple of days after that so they can keep an eye on her progress.

TTony said:
    Dick Whites?

Comes recommended - they know what they're doing and its a "nice place" (as much as any hospital is "nice").  One of ours has been there.

The most likely outcome from the MRI is that it shows swelling.  If it shows anything at all - it could still be shock (the temp drop) and severe bruising.  Possible treatments for swelling are anti-inflammatories (Metacam is the usual medication) or brain surgery.  Likely is that they'd give the anti-imflamms first anyway, to see if that works and/or to take the swelling down before trying any surgery.  

Realistically, it'd be a day or three before you could get her booked in for the MRI, so keep with the ant-inflamms, and keep everything crossed.  Hopefully, those will do the job and you can (all) avoid anything more drastic.
    They were actually talking about the university's learning vet centre, but the vet said that she'd ring round and find whoever could get her in the quickest.

We're optimistic that it won't come to that at this point. Let's hope she keeps improving :)

Once again, thanks to everyone for your kind wishes. Very much appreciated, both by the wife and myself :)
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    Glad it's looking up for you. 

Not really a pet person myself, but I imagine it's a very distressing situation.