Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    But we aspire to be different !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    edited August 2013

I like the facepalm button and I think most seem to be using it as intended without any malice. If it starts getting nasty then get rid but let's not turn into a bunch of whiny bitches just yet eh? :o3

Self facepalming should be allowed though.

#-o 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    As I am not 13 I don't really understand the facepalm so I am ignoring it anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I think I would tend to agree with the possibility that they could be used for bullying, and I have wondered why some guys on here seem to have managed to pick up so many (one advantage of having no friends is I'm not aware of any various cliques). Sadly, on other forums I've been on they also got rid of the neg rep system. On one I go to infrequently you are limited to how much neg rep a day you can give, but I'm not sure that makes a difference.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I like it and think it should stay, but I want a 'Thanks' button and 'Agree' button as well. Are we limited to just 4?
    All practice and no theory
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    imho the most effective thing is a simple cred/karma system with a single "+1" type count of how many times a user has had a thumbs up.

I won't lose any sleep over it though :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26613
    edited August 2013
    dafuzz said:
    I like it and think it should stay, but I want a 'Thanks' button and 'Agree' button as well. Are we limited to just 4?
    I believe we are limited to 4 in the plugin - it'd take some development to add another, but the problem we'll then have is too many options under a post.

The thing is, we're using the overall "Frets" score as a measure of somebody's reputation in place of post count, yet the way it's set up a facepalm (whether intended humorously or not) negatively affects that score. How about we just don't let the facepalm take away from the fret score (ie it has zero effect)?

It strikes me that's the best of all worlds.

Also, just to throw another option in the mix...the Wow! button seems a little redundant to me (ie I've seen very, very few posts on any forum which would induce such a boggled state of mind that I'd find myself looking for "Wow!" instead of "Like") - how about making that one the "Agree!" or "Like!" instead of changing the facepalm?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Also, just to throw another option in the mix...the Wow! button seems a little redundant to me (ie I've seen very, very few posts on any forum which would induce such a boggled state of mind that I'd find myself looking for "Wow!" instead of "Like") - how about making that one the "Agree!" or "Like!" instead of changing the facepalm?
    I both Like and Agree with this
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The thing is, we're using the overall "Frets" score as a measure of somebody's reputation in place of post count, yet the way it's set up a facepalm (whether intended humorously or not) negatively affects that score. How about we just don't let the facepalm take away from the fret score (ie it has zero effect)?

Psst - that's how it is already working ;)

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

Well, I just facepalmed you and your score went from 20 to 19 ;)
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader

Jalapeno said:
    Facepalms reduce your frets score by 1 though the chart of the week only shows the total number of reactions you've had good or bad.
    Jalapeno said:

Well, I just facepalmed you and your score went from 20 to 19 ;)
    I thought we'd agreed that they wouldn't do that - ho hum .......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

Maybe...can't remember. I just think that facepalms should be used to apply to the post, not the person. I like the button but not the end result, if you see what I mean :)
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:

Nope, it's been like that since the feature was turned on.
    Must've have dreamt that utopian feature discussion ....

Feedback
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Jalapeno said:

Maybe...can't remember. I just think that facepalms should be used to apply to the post, not the person. I like the button but not the end result, if you see what I mean :)
    +1    there's the novelty of it being new etc but wouldn't a simple +1/-1 buttons be simpler so it's all about the post... at the moment everyone is being very nice to each other but I'm sure I recall some less pleasant posts on the other place - I guess it's easier for the bosses here to make sure rule1 applies at all times so it's less likely to be a massive issue
  • How does a post count, or even fret count (with or without facepalms), translate to the reputation of the poster.  On MR my post count accelerated when I became unemployed.  I was warned recently about the quality information from 'professional' forumites who do nothing all day but hang around the internet.

I don't think the facepalms (FP) are a bad thing. As Sporks has said "It's only inferwebs".  I wouldn't get bothered or start a thread about getting a FP either.  There are more important things in my life to worry about, like getting a job.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited August 2013
    I like the Facepalms. 
    I'd like to see an 'I Agree' button.

I think Wow! can go, rather than Facepalm.
    I basically use Wow! as a Like/I Agree button already.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How does a post count, or even fret count (with or without facepalms), translate to the reputation of the poster.  On MR my post count accelerated when I became unemployed.  I was warned recently about the quality information from 'professional' forumites who do nothing all day but hang around the internet.

I don't think the facepalms (FP) are a bad thing. As Sporks has said "It's only inferwebs".  I wouldn't get bothered or start a thread about getting a FP either.  There are more important things in my life to worry about, like getting a job.
    A high post count is a measure of how involved you are with a community - if you're doing a trade with somebody, it would mean that there's a higher likelihood that somebody on here would be able to help you get in touch should something go wrong. Even more so with the fret score.

No, it's not perfect, but it's more practical than written references and an Experian credit score.
    <space for hire>
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013

A high post count is a measure of how involved you are with a community - if you're doing a trade with somebody, it would mean that there's a higher likelihood that somebody on here would be able to help you get in touch should something go wrong. Even more so with the fret score.

No, it's not perfect, but it's more practical than written references and an Experian credit score.

That's a good argument, wisdom duly credited, which makes more reason for me to keep FPs in. 

It was said on one of the other forums that people artificially bump up there post count with "+1" and "This" comments.  This would artificially raise there reputation.