This is one talented & versatile player!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
edited December 2016 in Guitar
All I can say is, wow - it's not just the tone, fluidity and notes, it's all the nuances & inflections!  (but perhaps I'm too easily impressed following feedback here!)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very long fingers too!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very kind of you.

tbf, I've cut my nails now....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Impressive.

Did that red strat have scalloped frets?

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4959
    edited December 2016
    proggy said:

Impressive.

Did that red strat have scalloped frets?

Yes, I believe it did. I've tried a scalloped Strat - felt really weird because the note sounds with a very light touch without actually having to push down to the finger board- and my brain just kept telling me 'that's so wrong', but probably takes some getting used to.  Being an oldie I'll stick with non-scalloped I think. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

Funny you should say that. I get the same feeling when I play my OM size acoustic because of the huge jumbo frets on it. The strings just seem to be to far away from the board, and I can't really get used to it.

Could I get them filed down do you think?

proggy said:

Funny you should say that. I get the same feeling when I play my OM size acoustic because of the huge jumbo frets on it. The strings just seem to be to far away from the board, and I can't really get used to it.

Definitely - but you'll likely want to lower the action too which will need the bridge to be lowered and the guitar set-up correctly.  It may even be that with a proper set-up and lowering of the action, you may not even need to have the frets filed down.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    He got a bunch of notes wrong in that stairway solo and plays it without any of the physical tension it needs. 4/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2016
    mixolyd said:
    He got a bunch of notes wrong in that stairway solo and plays it without any of the physical tension it needs. 4/10.
    Well, it sounded pretty darned good to me!  If you can play that better mixolyd I'd love to hear you mate - honestly! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:

If you can play that better mixolyd I'd love to hear you mate - honestly! 
    If this was QI, you would be Alan Davies and the alarm would be sounding right now, with the screens flashing up the words "Can't criticise unless you can do better"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    Im not asking this to criticise the guy in the vid, but to see if there's something going on with my ear....is he out of tune quite a bit in that video? Because he sounds it quite a bit to me and I'm wondering if it's because I've exclusively used sweetened tuning a for the last couple of years....???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    proggy said:

Definitely - but you'll likely want to lower the action too which will need the bridge to be lowered and the guitar set-up correctly.  It may even be that with a proper set-up and lowering of the action, you may not even need to have the frets filed down.    

Thanks for that info.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    edited December 2016
    Lewy said:
    Im not asking this to criticise the guy in the vid, but to see if there's something going on with my ear....is he out of tune quite a bit in that video? Because he sounds it quite a bit to me and I'm wondering if it's because I've exclusively used sweetened tuning a for the last couple of years....???
    The first example's flat as hell. I had a listen yesterday and couldn't stand it after about 40 seconds.
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Shame he can't tune his guitar.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    Ah good. I'm not going ear mental.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha you're the apitomy of why guitarists get a bad name,  can't stand other people more talented so have to put them down. 
    edited December 2016
    Voxman said:
    mixolyd said:
    Well, it sounded pretty darned good to me!  If you can play that better mixolyd I'd love to hear you mate - honestly! 
    I'm lucky if I can play at all with the state of my health these days but back when I combed the streets for cash I did a decent Stairway - better than his by a clear margin.  Nothing to go crazy about - I was always relatively limited technically but that's an easy solo so is at my upper limit.

If you think that solo was good then you haven't got a very good memory of the original or a great ear tbh.  The note choice is poor to awful in several places - Pagey chose certain notes with good reason.  I'm all for changing things deliberately - as Page did all the time - but this reeks of someone either learning a solo as a beginner then later getting technically good enough to record it without ever realising that he's got it wrong, either that or just a rubbish ear.  
    edited December 2016
    Great physical ability and gentleness on the strings but please: PHRASING!
  • Can we all at least agree that polo shirt, sunglasses indoors and widdly guitar soloing isn't a good look? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2714
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I'm reluctant to criticize this guy because he's a pretty good player, can certainly do stuff physically that I couldn't and he's 95-99% of the way there on most of what he plays, even on some technically difficult stuff.  But I was led to expect versatility, nuance and inflexion and I'm not hearing it.

Versatility - everything is pretty much from the classic rock solo handbook.  Nothing wrong with that if that's your bag, but it isn't exactly a demonstration of versatility.

Nuance and inflection: I'm hearing some pretty ropey time and some out of tune bends.  That would be ungracious nit-picking on my part if he were a week-end warrior in a pub band, but the claim being made is that he's an exemplar of nuance and inflection. 

If he were a pro on a session with a good producer he'd be being told to do a lot of this stuff again, and in some cases told he needed to put in some more practice time before he attempted it.

For avoidance of doubt I'm not claiming I could do better, just describing what I hear.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Haha you're the apitomy of why guitarists get a bad name,  can't stand other people more talented so have to put them down. 

He's the EPITOME of why guitarists get a bad name. The inability to recognise when you're not in tune. It's about making audible music, not parrot fashion fretboard gymnastics.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom