I know you shouldn't laugh but...

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    munckee said:
    slacker said:
    Neill said:
    That iconic riff to "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" is actually a lot harder to get 100% than you think - the Hollies recording actually features Allan Clarke playing the riff because Tony Hicks had trouble nailing it, and Tony Hicks is a very good player.   The guy in the vid actually made a pretty good job of it. 

If you put this guy in a band he would be fine, I've seen much worse.  I've been much worse.

Not sure what the point is here. 

I looked up the guys website. I was hoping that he was Tony Hicks.
    Or Ronnie Pickering!
    Who?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    slacker said:
    munckee said:
    slacker said:
    Neill said:
    That iconic riff to "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" is actually a lot harder to get 100% than you think - the Hollies recording actually features Allan Clarke playing the riff because Tony Hicks had trouble nailing it, and Tony Hicks is a very good player.   The guy in the vid actually made a pretty good job of it. 

If you put this guy in a band he would be fine, I've seen much worse.  I've been much worse.

Not sure what the point is here. 

I looked up the guys website. I was hoping that he was Tony Hicks.
    Or Ronnie Pickering!
    Who?
    RONNIE PICKERING!!! 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    IMO, the humour in this sort of situation derives from people putting out The Big I Am attitude before playing some beginner-to-intermediate level cliché dross.

The YT video guitar owner makes no claims about his playing abilities. OTOH, creating such a video in the first instance smacks of, "look at me with my expensive new toy." Shallow or what?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    Sassafras said:
    Double standards.
    We all laughed at that clip of Steven Seagal playing a blues note repeatedly.

Haven't seen it, can you post a link so I can laugh at it?

Although I'm more likely to make fun of his weight and his ridiculous sprayed-on hair than his guitar playing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    In a perfect world a forum like this should be a "safe" space where people can post their playing and ask for advice, tips etc without getting scorned or embarrassed.
    The vast majority on here, myself included, rarely if ever post videos of their own playing. There is a reason for that.
    It's a shame really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Particularly at a time when everybody has pretty much been relegated to playing at home alone or getting lessons, at best, on Zoom or Skype.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ^ this.

Everyone has to learn, everyone has different abilities, and being constructive in criticism along with encouragement is really important for any developing player. 

No wonder many members don’t post videos of their playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Double standards.

Although I'm more likely to make fun of his weight and his ridiculous sprayed-on hair than his guitar playing.

Just for you Philly:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/191942/i-suddenly-feel-renewed-optimism-about-being-good-enough-to-play-on-stage/p1
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    ennspek said:
    tsj93 said:
    imagine if this bloke turned around and started laughing at our bank balances
    Mine's 5 figures, laugh it up all you like.
    Ooh, get you!
    Lol. Never seen someone boast about their bank balance here before, that's a first...!
    Like literally in the worst possible taste. 

“Mine’s 5 figures” 

lol 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    We should encourage RandallFlagg to post up his clips so we can collectively give him some “encouragement”. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    ^ this.

Everyone has to learn, everyone has different abilities, and being constructive in criticism along with encouragement is really important for any developing player. 

No wonder many members don’t post videos of their playing. 
    Totally agree. Having a cheap pop at someone on here just dissuades others from posting or asking for advice for fear of being mocked. Sad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Double standards.

Just for you Philly:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/191942/i-suddenly-feel-renewed-optimism-about-being-good-enough-to-play-on-stage/p1

Bless you for that. :) 

For about five seconds I was thinking oh god, this isn't too bad... and then he played the same little lick 30 times.  I thought it was stuck on repeat.  Interesting how similar his right-hand technique is to Lil Wayne's.

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    There are loads of complex arguments about ability, individuals and their passion for guitar, and also for our consumerist tendencies.

I have seen plenty of short gear demos by tFB members that demonstrate pretty darn good playing. What would that be percentage wise ? I don’t know, but I reckon there are plenty here that are actually mediocre at best (and I only scrape into that category).

We all know that gear doesn’t equate ability - probably 95% of ‘expensive’ equipment is owned by amateur guitarists who just love playing and the fantasy of playing.

If that guy get’s his kicks from earning a good wage and spending it on pricey guitars - so what, and good luck to him.

I would also add that we now inhabit a world rotating round social media - so posting a YouTube clip is pretty normal stuff, no matter how simple the content.

I can hand on heart say I absolutely love stringing three chords into repetitive cycles - when I get the right feel, they work together beautifully into a hypnotic wall. Having tried a dozen or so Strats and Teles I also know my custom shop is the bees knees, sounds amazing and works for what I want.

Can I justify it ? No way - if I posted a clip, I would probably get locked up by Fender for crimes against music and equipment.

Apologies, as I am tipsy and rambling. What’s my point ? I don’t know other than who cares about what others are doing when they mean no harm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I have a 7 year old in this house who can just about bang out an open E...

I have an 18 year old in this house who technically will piss over most guitarists abilities...

Watching the pair of them bang out a tune with one chord together is a thing of joy!

How it makes the younger one feel when he plays along is anyone’s guess, he has a manic smile on his chops which lasts for hours!

and there’s the point...

music, no matter if you can play well or just bang out the one chord lifts the spirits and makes you happy... listening to music (even badly played) can lift the spirit and make you happy... 

the OP is just a miserable twunt who needs to get some joy in his life!...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    poopot said:

I have an 18 year old in this house who technically will piss over most guitarists abilities...

Watching the pair of them bang out a tune with one chord together is a thing of joy!

How it makes the younger one feel when he plays along is anyone’s guess, he has a manic smile on his chops which lasts for hours!

and there’s the point...

music, no matter if you can play well or just bang out the one chord lifts the spirits and makes you happy... listening to music (even badly played) can lift the spirit and make you happy... 

It’s ok though, he’s got a five figure bank balance, and several custom shop guitars, so he must be happy. Right?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    PC_Dave said:
    poopot said:

and there’s the point...

It’s ok though, he’s got a five figure bank balance, and several custom shop guitars, so he must be happy. Right?
    I was gonna say it would appear five figures can’t buy you happiness ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    PC_Dave said:
    poopot said:

and there’s the point...

Depends on how much he enjoys fixing peoples teeth??

:D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited March 2021
    Obviously the OP's post was a mis-judged one. However, from everything else I've read by him he seems like a decent guy. Is there really any need for a 4 page pile in?

The point was made on page 1, then several times on page 2, then several more times on page 3 etc. I think he probably gets the point and we've all mis-read the room before so give him a break ffs.

This thread should be closed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Dan_Halen said:
    Obviously the OP's post was a mis-judged one. However, from everything else I've read by him he seems like a decent guy. Is there really any need for a 4 page pile in?

The point was made on page 1, then several times on page 2, then several more times on page 3 etc. I think he probably gets the point and we've all mis-read the room before so give him a break ffs.

This thread should be closed.
    Kinda agree, although his later bank balance comment probably marked him further down on the self awareness scale 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2371
    poopot said:

and there’s the point...

Hunner percent agree!