Expensive pedals that have been worth it

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Just wondering what pedals people have spent a fortune on and they have been worth the money.  Something you stretched to, that was really worth it.
Of course this could be a £100 pedal for somebody that usually would buy Behringer pedals or a £500 shiny drive pedal, but at the time you thought ‘should I really spend this much on an effect pedal?’

I’m thinking pedals that do one or 2 things rather than big multi FX.

Not sure I have had anything, perhaps the Flint was pretty expensive and I still have it, but they are reasonable value and I never thought this is a lot for what it is.   

Years ago I spent quite a bit on an EHX micro synth which was cool.  Ended up selling it on, long before the the true bypass phase I realised some effects absolutely killed your clean sound (the Russian Muff was worst for this).   But for the time I had it it was a fun bit of extravagance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    White whale tremolo reverb is better than the flint I had previously although does less but does it better v
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    munckee said:
    White whale tremolo reverb is better than the flint I had previously although does less but does it better v
    The Flint has never wowed me but it does what it does well with the minimum of fuss.  I use the hall and plate verbs most, so never yearn for a better spring.  Also like the harmonic trem for the vibey kind of thing.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Many...

Moog mf104m
    Moog mf108m 
    Poly beebo
    Empress zoia
    Eventide h9
    Boonar dawner princ

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited March 2021
    An extremely rare and lovely Digitech Whammy WH1 that I bought off the very great @kevguitarman, and subsequently had Analogman Mike mod it for true bypass. I love it.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hermita Zendrive. When I bought it, it was kinda an impulse purchase. I liked the idea of what it did from youtube vids but I fully expected to sell it on, and as it was secondhand I wouldn't lose anything in the doing of it...nope...I can't say enough about it. Its awesome
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414

Just wondering what pedals people have spent a fortune on and they have been worth the money.  Something you stretched to, that was really worth it.
    Of course this could be a £100 pedal for somebody that usually would buy Behringer pedals or a £500 shiny drive pedal, but at the time you thought ‘should I really spend this much on an effect pedal?’
    Original ZVex Fuzz Factory and SeekWah when there were only the hand-painted ones and cost more than I’d ever spent on a pedal... each - but brilliant, and inspired several parts on an album I was recording. From memory the FF was about £179 and the SW about £229, and that was in 1999.

Years ago I spent quite a bit on an EHX micro synth which was cool.  Ended up selling it on, long before the the true bypass phase I realised some effects absolutely killed your clean sound (the Russian Muff was worst for this).   But for the time I had it it was a fun bit of extravagance.
    I had both those as well, and they were horrendous for tone suck, even noticeable when run after a Boss buffered pedal. I replaced the Muff with a Frantone Sweet and eventually true-bypassed the Micro Synth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    Strymon Volante, Source Audio Ventris and Nemesis, Neunaber Immerse and pretty much any drive pedal by ThorpyFX.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Years ago I got a picked up a couple of second hand Lovetone pedals - big cheese and brown source for my rig. They were ok but didn’t really work live for me so I sold them on. I was quite underwhelmed considering the cost of these things. They were fine for recording/ studio but I was gigging most weeks back then so they had to go. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Keeley Eccos 
    Boss Tera Echo
    Frederic Effects Regent 150

They all add a texture and response to the amp that makes playing more enjoyable. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    ThorpyFX The Dane 
    Lazy J Cruiser
    Providence Chrono Delay
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Revivaldrive Custom. Had it a couple of years now and I still think it’s brilliant. Using it for my direct to DAW recording with a Mooer Radar and for gigs (remember them?) with any amp. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    Red Panda Particle v1. Definitely questioned myself as I paid the cost new, but it's been on so many recordings with me since then, indispensable in one band's set especially.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I tend to sell expensive pedals if I can get something cheaper to sound almost as good.... but my Thorpyfx Germanium Veteran is pretty special 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Not an effect pedal but a pedal sized amp.
    The ZVex Nano Head.
    Utterly brilliant little thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Sassafras said:
    The ZVex Nano Head.

Do you put that directly in to a speaker cab?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    Jan Ray. I hate myself for it, just a little bit. But it's magic. Ditto Origin Revival Drive Compact, but without the self-hate.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    russpm said:
    Sassafras said:
    The ZVex Nano Head.

Do you put that directly in to a speaker cab?
    Yes, even a 4x12.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10244
    The Timeline and Big Sky are excellent. The Mobius I found mediocre. 

The Revival Drive is great. 

Loads of expensive pedals are really good tbh. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4793
    About 10-11 years ago, I imported a Top Tone DG-1 from the makers in Brazil. A "David Gilmour in a box" sort of thing that let me nail the fuzz solo tone from Echoes with the band I played in. Worth every penny. Around the same sort of time I bought a Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 which was also expensive yet sounded glorious. Scratched my inner Robin Trower beautifully. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Flint - plenty of cheaper reverb or trem pedals and probably some better ones but it’s a real workhorse that does just is needed an sounds great.  

FTT flight time - I can think of a better digital delay, apart from being mono it had everything you could want and sounds fantastic. 

Jan Ray - I was looking for a Timmy style transparent drive and saw the JR - it sounds amazing and looks and feels great.   I don’t care if I could have saved I bit buying a timmy instead as it’s a fabulous pedal.