Expensive pedals that have been worth it

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Everything made by ThorpyFX. 

It's expensive sure, but they always sound great and the build quality and customer service are superb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9559

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    All these represented some kind of aspirational higher end pedal nirvana to me - and some even worked out well...

the positives
    Origin Effects Cali 76 Stacked
    : indispensable 
    Ceriatone Centura: equally indispensable 
    Origin Effects RevivalDrive Custom: wrung tones out of my old silverface Princeton Reverb I wouldn't have thought possible
    Dawner Prince Boonar: after many many delay pedals (and having convinced myself I'd never buy anything like this again), the Boonar is doing some real good to my signal chain in lieu of amp or pedal reverb

definite flops
    RYRA 808: OK, so I probably just don't get on with TS-type pedals
    Gurus Echosex: 
    well, the name and the looks were definitely up there, but it never did the Binson thing as well as the Boonar - plus I found it very hard to control 
    Blackstone Appliances MOSFET: again, gorgeous to look at and super clever operation, but too angry and spiky for me

the hopeful young pretender

Ethos TWE-1: I've only just ordered this, but after a zillion drive pedals, I believe this might be the one for chewy overdrive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    These are the only pedals I've paid over £200 for. Worth every penny

Strymon Iridium
    Ceriatone Horsebreaker
    Effectrode tube vibe

• Every single Pete Cornish pedal I've bought.
    Good deals with: andrewaward (X2), wellsyboy (X2), AxeWieldingBastard, rainer2859, garfy, rogandroll, Gassage, HoraceB, johnhe, hyperben, JezWynd, interstellar, soma1975, pumkin, JDE (X2), JohnPerry, Varun, Springywheel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    Moogerfooger, meris, chase bliss origin and gurus for me.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 525
    dcg said:
    All these represented some kind of aspirational higher end pedal nirvana to me - and some even worked out well...

the positives
    Origin Effects Cali 76 Stacked
    : indispensable 
    Ceriatone Centura: equally indispensable 
    Origin Effects RevivalDrive Custom: wrung tones out of my old silverface Princeton Reverb I wouldn't have thought possible
    Dawner Prince Boonar: after many many delay pedals (and having convinced myself I'd never buy anything like this again), the Boonar is doing some real good to my signal chain in lieu of amp or pedal reverb

definite flops
    RYRA 808: OK, so I probably just don't get on with TS-type pedals
    Gurus Echosex: 
    well, the name and the looks were definitely up there, but it never did the Binson thing as well as the Boonar - plus I found it very hard to control 
    Blackstone Appliances MOSFET: again, gorgeous to look at and super clever operation, but too angry and spiky for me

the hopeful young pretender

Ethos TWE-1: I've only just ordered this, but after a zillion drive pedals, I believe this might be the one for chewy overdrive 
    For the Revival Drive - is it hours of tweaking or do great sounds come tumbling out of it? How are the Voxy type sounds? I’ll

I’m interested in the Compact but it’ll have to be very special to justify the spend. 
  • Not that expensive, but the Hagerman Tube Overdrive
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    Strymon Volante
    Fairfield Accountant
    Thorpy Peacekeeper
    Effectrode Blackbird

Got them all on here, but still more than I would have spent on pedals in the past. I tend to use overdrives to make the clean signal a bit... something more, and the Peacekeeper is wonderful for that. I wish I knew what was going on there. The Blackbird was a revelation - currently (like right now as I'm sitting here typing with my guitar on) running straight into the power amp section of a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, replacing the front part. Think I'll change them around again, soon - I like to have a shake-up every so often, and I have a notion to run the Blackbird into the front of my JC40, then run the Volante in the effects send in parallel. I have to put the Volante back in its box every so often, or else everything gets drenched in dub all the time.  
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    Lewy said:
    Origin Revival Trem. Most expensive pedal I've ever bought and I umm-ed and ah-ed for a long time, but it's a little box of happiness for me. 
    Got to admit Origin effects are something I’d spend mire than usual for.  Was looking at the Magma57 the other day. The Trem looks cool too but probably a bit if overlap with the Flint I have.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Lewy said:
    Origin Revival Trem. Most expensive pedal I've ever bought and I umm-ed and ah-ed for a long time, but it's a little box of happiness for me. 
    Got to admit Origin effects are something I’d spend mire than usual for.  Was looking at the Magma57 the other day. The Trem looks cool too but probably a bit if overlap with the Flint I have.

I already had a Flint on my board too - I just use it for Harmonic trem now. The Origin is a very different beast - it’s all about the amp sounds and the trem interacting, and the dynamic "ducking" nature of Bias Tremolo. They've really nailed it. Obviously you have to like the sound of brownface Fenders otherwise it's not going to work for you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I very much enjoyed buying a Centaur in 2007 and selling it in 2017.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    Wow, over 50 replies, and not a single mention of the KOT.

This is my most expensive pedal to date, but set with all controls at 2 o’clock it just ‘works’ with every guitar into every amp in every situation, and being predominantly a Tele player, I appreciate the ‘no nonsense’ approach to a set-and-forget pedal.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    My first impressions of my EBS Microbass 3 are pretty good.

I have fed back some ideas for the Microbass 4, though...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I think my Mesa V-Twins were some of the most expensive too - I've had several, I think I've paid between £150 and £250 for them at various times. Very much worth it - I've never found anything else that sounds as good, even though they do have some very annoying flaws as well... which is why I sold the previous ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

skay said:
    Wow, over 50 replies, and not a single mention of the KOT.

This is my most expensive pedal to date, but set with all controls at 2 o’clock it just ‘works’ with every guitar into every amp in every situation, and being predominantly a Tele player, I appreciate the ‘no nonsense’ approach to a set-and-forget pedal.
    I’ve just ordered one actually.  Have been at the top of the list for ages.  I’m skeptical but you can’t really lose out so I thought I’d give one a go to see what all the fuss is about.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    @menamestom it’s a‘one and done’ pedal for me, as it doesn’t takeaway or add anything you don’t need, as you just step on it and concentrate on playing the guitar/riff/song/ without having to think about it, as it sounds like it sounds and you can just get on with things.

It seems a weird and boring accolade to rave about, and is possibly why some feel underwhelmed when they don’t write better riffs or their band doesn’t ‘get on’ any better because they’re using a KOT, but I know I can turn up with a guitar/amp/KOT and get a great sound in any situation and not wish I’d brought something else.

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    Klone - bought new from Charlie Chandler himself : cost £200.
    Several Effectrode pedals : all good.
    Thorpy The Dane : one of the first signed series.
    Source Audio EQ2
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3080
    ICBM said:
    I think my Mesa V-Twins were some of the most expensive too - I've had several, I think I've paid between £150 and £250 for them at various times. Very much worth it - I've never found anything else that sounds as good, even though they do have some very annoying flaws as well... which is why I sold the previous ones.
    I bought one new in the 90s and I think they were around £300. I don't use it as a daily but it's my backup amp for gigs. It's killer straight into the PA or DI for recording.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

ICBM said:
    A lot of pedal for the money 2nd hand no doubt.  Used one for rehearsal years ago, into a Twin Reverb, when I didn’t take my Laney VC30.   Never could get it sounding good in that setup, although could easily have been user error.