Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SGs

What's Hot
Guys, is there an idiots guide to the SG somewhere?

There seem to be about eighteen million variants, it's hard to know where to start. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27058
    edited January 2022
    From about 1990 to 2010 it was easy: 

Special - batwing, no binding, dot inlays, uncovered pickups. often made with Faded finishes. 
    Standard - batwing, binding, trap inlays  covered pickups 
    Classic - batwing, P90s, dots
    61 - small guard, binding, traps and cover pickups, big headstock, contours more like vintage ones. 

…then they shuffled everything around and made them more like the original 60s models…

Standard - as earlier 61 but small headstock 
    Special -  small guard, P90, dots, no binding (iirc) 

then since the 2018 buyout and revamp…

Standard - like the OG 90s Standard model with batwing guard
    61 available again, with optional maestro or sideways vibrola. 
    Special - small guard, P90s

They’ve also done a bunch of Tributes and stuff over the last decade but they made weird decisions on specs and they’re generally a bit naff imo. Likewise 1970-1990 or so. Vintage 60s stuff is a different ballgame but basically 3-pickup Custom with ebony & maestro, Standard with 2 pickups and usually a maestro, and Special with 2x P90s and wraparound. 

And Juniors are always the same - single P90, no frills. Not always available but usually excellent.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    There’s black one, and a red, one and  white one and yellow one and they’re all made out of tricky tacky and they all look just the same 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    there are some with ebony boards and I would love one
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FozzFozz Frets: 62
    Above all, remember that batwing guards just look cooler.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1137
    The current 61s have the neck joint at the 22nd rather than the 19th on the others iirc
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444
    edited January 2022
    The only real test is to grab one and try it. I'm not a great fan of them generally but the occasional example enthuses me enough to forgive all of the shortcomings.

The last such was a 2015 Standard with the Les Paul 100 headstock decal.

A friend of mine has one of the 1990 SG/LP Custom re-issues. Very nice … apart from the "out-of-phase" pickup selection.

If I had a "dream" SG, it would be a Junior.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10228
    edited January 2022
    Wait till you get into Ibanez's! 40 models released every year with a different number for each colour variation!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Quite enjoyed Peach’s new video today https://youtu.be/w2LpCWCjaiM
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    I have a Special with crescent moon inlays 

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited January 2022
    I’ll be after one myself sometime in the spring. Prefer a batwing guard and a round neck, and the 19th fret neck join, so I’ll be trying a few standards, and factoring in some ebony tuner buttons for the Grovers to tweak the balance if necessary. 

Not fussed about paying extra for handwired pots etc or a hard case as I can sort those out separately, probably for less than the price difference between the standard and 61. Happy with the standard SG pickups as Estheroid has a great example of an early 00’s standard, so I’ve spent a bit of time playing that and know that something very similar would work for me.  
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1111
    tony99 said:
    there are some with ebony boards and I would love one
    I don't really lust after electrics these days, but an early 90s special in white with an ebony board still does it for me.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    I have a '94 Special with covered humbuckers AND ebony board.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited January 2022
    I recently acquired the 61 standard (2019) with sideways vibrola, it's a beauty. None of the neck dive or QC issues I’ve read about. I’m currently having it set up with with 12s in c# standard to make it growl a bit  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys. 

I'm sort-of-impulse-gassing. I know I want big pickguard, probably humbuckers, and I don't want a vibrola. I like the vintage aesthetic but I don't want a super skinny neck. I also know impulse buying a guitar known for marmite playability is very stupid, but I'm considering it anyway... 

• Neck dive and AC/DC jibes from your mates  =)

I wanted one. Ordered one. Tried to love it. Nearly did, but the terrible nut was enough to put doubt in my head and then I decided I could spend the £1650 more appropriately. 

There’s my guide. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited January 2022
    Neck dive and AC/DC jibes from your mates 

I wanted one. Ordered one. Tried to love it. Nearly did, but the terrible nut was enough to put doubt in my head and then I decided I could spend the £1650 more appropriately. 

There’s my guide. 
    That’s why I’ll be shopping in person - so many potential variables of balance, neck angle, resonance, aesthetics, nut and fret finishing etc. It would have to be one hell of a discount to convince me to buy unseen, and even then I’d probably want to speak to someone who’s actually got the guitar right there in front of them to do some specific checks for me. I appreciate not every retailer is geared up to do that. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27058
    edited January 2022
    Sounds like a used Standard is the right answer. Plenty of 2000-ish era ones about and they usually have really nice middle-ish “rounded but not huge” neck profiles. And you’ll get back most of what you pay for it if you don’t like it

I love mine to bits and only use it for AC/DC about 5% of the time D 

EDIT: like this one! https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/220900/fs-gibson-sg-standard-2000#latest
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1111
    I love SGs, but really don't think they suit trapezoid inlays, hence I don't really like the look of Standards.

Up until a few years ago the best looking SG Gibson made was the (full gloss) Classic, but since they've released the Special with wrapover tailpiece, bound neck with dots and P90s they've surpassed themselves.
  • And some have bigsby fitted. Don't know if this is an after market addition though