Nice Things.

What's Hot
I got a few wee fireworks/sparklers the other night for me and my sprog (nothing too bangy, my neighbour has a dog).
When we were getting ready I thought I'd look out my old zippo lighter which I hadn't used since stopping smoking. 
Unfortunately it is worn out and beyond fixing*.

They are just such nice little things though! Great design, classic look, works well. They just feel great in the hand, especially when it's cold and it warms your fingers. Makes a satisfying click! 

So I ordered a new one for a Christmas present to myself. A 1941 reissue! 

*I understand they have a lifetime guarantee and will fix or replace if you send it to the factory in the US, but imagine it won't be worth the cost of sending it from UK.

Any other suggestions for just simply nice things?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Leatherman multitool.  Indispensable and beautifully made.  Feel nice in the hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1021
    The old fountain pens, the good ones. The sensation of ink on paper through a smooth-edged gold nib was a pleasure. The writing looked great, too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    There is a guy with an instagram page dedicated to vintage lighters from all over the world, some fantastic bits of engineering.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    Those Japanese wooden boxes that only open with the correct combination of little slidey bits, they are great
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 924
    bertie said:
    me

Yup, you're special alright  :)

Offset said:
    Leatherman multitool.  Indispensable and beautifully made.  Feel nice in the hand.

Ooh yeah, good one. 

My dad's old mate made little knifes with antler handles and super high quality steel. Very expensive mind. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1569
    I have a wine-aerating gadget (cant remember the name) that is just a delight to use. A very clear acrylic egg-shaped object that sits atop a carafe, you pour the wine in and a removable wire mesh catches the larger bits of sediment. Air is then entrained via two tiny holes and voila, aerated wine :) It also makes a satisfying gurgle as the wine pours through.
    Do I need it? No.
    Does the wine need it? Possibly not.
    Is it a lovely thing for it's own sake? Certainly.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s a Zippo repair address in London these days. You need to take out the flint and wadding and send them by courier as Royal Mail won’t send them.
    There’s a Zippo repair address in London these days. You need to take out the flint and wadding and send them by courier as Royal Mail won’t send them.
    Thanks. I think it may be beyond repair though, I think the whole inside bit would need replacing. The rivet, or hole it goes through, that holds the "spark wheel" is worn. When you push down on it it moves down and pushes the flint back into its hole so very weak spark. If that makes sense. I'll see what I can find though. It does actually light with the right technique. 

It's about 20 years old tbf. 
  • Those Japanese wooden boxes that only open with the correct combination of little slidey bits, they are great

The Official Clive Barker Website - Revelations - Pinhead evolution

"Yes they are, aren't they?"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got my late uncles RAF one with Belize on it and a Marlin  he always carried it when I was a kid . The lid is not attached now ,the weld has gone . Also got a smaller USMC someone gave him in Belize .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There is a guy with an instagram page dedicated to vintage lighters from all over the world, some fantastic bits of engineering.
    I could get into collecting them. Trying to stop myself buying a 1930s style zippo at the moment!
    The basic ones aren't too bad but the prices can get a bit much for me really. 
    Kalimna said:
    I have a wine-aerating gadget (cant remember the name) that is just a delight to use. A very clear acrylic egg-shaped object that sits atop a carafe, you pour the wine in and a removable wire mesh catches the larger bits of sediment. Air is then entrained via two tiny holes and voila, aerated wine :) It also makes a satisfying gurgle as the wine pours through.
    Do I need it? No.
    Does the wine need it? Possibly not.
    Is it a lovely thing for it's own sake? Certainly.

Adam
    I got something like that for my ex a few years ago. 
    Don't know if she's ever used it. 
  • What's the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?
    One's really heavy and the other's a little lighter
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?
    One's really heavy and the other's a little lighter
    That’s brilliant
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    edited November 2023
    Fujifilm cameras. Actually, cameras & lenses in general; but I'm particularly a fan of the feel of my Fujis 3
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    Fujifilm cameras. Actually, cameras & lenses in general; but I'm particularly a fan of the feel of my Fujis 3
    Ooh, matron! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Victorinox penknife.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    Kurtis said:
    bertie said:
    me

Yup, you're special alright  :)

not been here long have you ?   =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4431
    Netsuke

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to