PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3611
    robgilmo said:
    Do the photo's have to be recent? I'm just not getting any camera time at the moment.
    In theory they have to be taken within the last year... I'm not checking metadata or anything like that though; it's just intended to be a bit of fun, there's no prize or anything.
    Cool, thankyou.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4205
    Morning everyone. Just a quick reminder: voting is now open, over in the competition thread :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    Great photos as always guys, I find it amazing that a picture of an hotel with holiday makers watching the sunset I mean sunrise can be so appealing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Evening all. Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

April's winner has just been announced over in the competion thread :)

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Morning you lovely bunch.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5811
    And what an excellent theme it is too. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lots of scope on this one.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9891
    I don't think i've entered before, I'm not a serious photographer by any stretch but I like pictures and occasionally take ones that make me smile so thought why not.

I just use my smartphone camera as I don't have the brains to work out the DSLR that my wife uses, so obviously the quality of my actual images won't be great but hopefully won't get laughed out of town.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598
    I don't think i've entered before, I'm not a serious photographer by any stretch but I like pictures and occasionally take ones that make me smile so thought why not.

I just use my smartphone camera as I don't have the brains to work out the DSLR that my wife uses, so obviously the quality of my actual images won't be great but hopefully won't get laughed out of town.
    Haven't done this for a while, but easily the best pic I entered was a quick snap on my phone before getting the proper camera out.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    Great theme this month. I have a week off so I should get out with the camera at some point. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited May 10

Haven't done this for a while, but easily the best pic I entered was a quick snap on my phone before getting the proper camera out.
    I think all my entries for the last year or so have been taken with my mobile. The IQ on them is so good these days there’s no real need to use my “proper” camera.

@thecolourbox nobody’s worried if you’re a serious photographer, it’s just a bit of fun.  ;)
    Anyone interested in astro photography, this week end is a strong oppertunity to photo the Aurora, apparently strong CME's this week end, no moon and clear skies! Doesnt happen all that often, it might be worth a looksy.

AuroraWatch UK status (lancs.ac.uk)

Last time I got out with clear conditions to do astro was to photo that comet a few years back, oppertunities dont come around all that much.
    I cant photo it though, skies here are dark but north from me is some large towns which drown out the sky.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 818
    robgilmo said:
    Anyone interested in astro photography, this week end is a strong oppertunity to photo the Aurora, apparently strong CME's this week end, no moon and clear skies! Doesnt happen all that often, it might be worth a looksy.

Last time I got out with clear conditions to do astro was to photo that comet a few years back, oppertunities dont come around all that much.
    I cant photo it though, skies here are dark but north from me is some large towns which drown out the sky.

Great shots.

I love astrophotography but like you don't get the opportunity to very often and when I do get away from the light population it's cloudy :dissapointed:   
    edited May 12
    robgilmo said:

The aurora was absolutely mega last night; I couldn't see it with the naked eye but with a camera or phone it was beautiful. This is just a quick phone picture, I'll hopefully get the others off my camera tomorrow:

(not the best photo ever, but best in mind that I'm in South Essex!!)

EDIT: meant to say - you get much better comet photos than I managed when it was visible!

IMG_1218.jpeg 181.1K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Didn't manage to see it here last night, but when I pointed my phone St the sky at 11.30 it did seem to make some colour. So I'm not sure whether it was using AI to detect what I was doing and make it happen, or whether night sight is just super clever.

We had thin clouds here which may explain why I didn't see much. Oh well :) 
    Didn't manage to see it here last night, but when I pointed my phone St the sky at 11.30 it did seem to make some colour. So I'm not sure whether it was using AI to detect what I was doing and make it happen, or whether night sight is just super clever.

We had thin clouds here which may explain why I didn't see much. Oh well :) 

There was nothing that I saw here last night either. We kept my stepdaughter up late and drove down to a local bird sanctuary as it would be pretty dark... although there were so many people there it was like some sort of fete :lol:

Don't have a very suitable photo this month but I managed one I'm quite happy with at the zoo last weekend. Believe it or not this is not heavily edited - just a bit of a deepening of shadow to remove the last of the detail from the background, and a bit of contrast on the birds.

Amazing what can happen when the light is just right! In this case, I was inside the aviary with a 12-40mm lens, and the bright afternoon sun came straight through to the branch. I waited there for a minute to see if a bird would land there and two did! 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    Lovely shot ^. Well done! 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 312
    boogieman said:
    Lovely shot ^. Well done! 

Got to second that, lovely shot.
    ^ thirded, that's a stonker!