Typical GAK...returning to old ways? (wish I'd never started this....just having a rant and whoosh!)

What's Hot

Comments

• Yoseph;650405" said:
    If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing
    uk
    Well sling your hook then fella.

It's not the trend for the Fretboard at all. These are genuine questions in respect of the way that businesses like GAK conduct themselves and the way they operate via their online operations.

Don't through your toys out the pram because you've been backed into a corner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited May 2015
    I can see both sides of this.  Clearly there are issues with the website at times as there have been many examples stated where an item is showing as in-stock yet once an order is placed an e-mail is sent to say that it isn't actually in stock.  There also seems to be some ambiguity regarding the way they list items as in stock or available to order, some have stated this can cause confusion, and I think it's right to point this type of thing out so that they can deal with it.  Where I think things are going too far is where they are being accused of dishonest practices. 

I used to work as UK Inventory Manager for a large Company based in West London and I can tell you that over the years there were plenty of issues where stock wasn't being allocated properly, or items were booked out but never came off the system.  I think it's more likely that they are suffering from these kinds of problems.  

The system that I used was a bespoke system created specifically for our equipment and costs tens of thousands of pounds to develop, but we were a multi-national outfit with turnover in the region of £50-60m.  If it could happen to us, it could happen to anyone.  I think it's unfair to say that there is some kind of hidden agenda.

Where I completely agree with @Yoseph is when he says that manually taking a product off the system every time they sell out is not the right thing to do.  Regardless of the fact that the item is available to order, it would mean using manpower to not only remove every item, but it would have to be manually re-listed every time the item came back into stock.  When a large order arrives at the warehouse, there is enough work unpacking everything, checking the order is complete according to the manifest and that it has arrived in one piece. It's far easier to leave it live on the system and then when the order arrives it gets scanned in and the stock system is updated immediately.

Please note, I've never shopped at GAK, as I stated before, I find their website frustrating, hence why I am not a current customer, so don't think I'm blindly defending them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2015
    Yoseph;650405" said:
    If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing
    uk

It's not the trend for the Fretboard at all. These are genuine questions in respect of the way that businesses like GAK conduct themselves and the way they operate via their online operations.

@Yoseph Please be aware this post /\ does not represent the views of all Fretboard members.

Retail presence on the forum can be mutually beneficial for all, and it's pretty disheartening to read some of this thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fortheloveofguitar said: Yoseph;650405" said:If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing
    uk Well sling your hook then fella.

He said
    if to be fair mate. 

I think there's genuine questions here and some genuine and honest answers from @Yoseph from what I can see is that it's a fairly small business in the context of things, and there's probably not the budget to make the website better with regards to the in stock/available to order issue or to employ staff to manually take off the items as they're ordered.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    It is totally the trend for this forum -  aggressive and/or snide bullies and the mob mentality rule. This guy literally cannot win, so if I were him I'd sack this place off as well - why exactly would he not? Its likely just out of professional courtesy that he's not telling everyone to piss off and get a life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Fortheloveofguitar;650465" said:
    [quote="Yoseph;650405"]If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing
    uk

[/quote]

can't agree more with this post, what you have here is essentially your core customer base pointing an issue that they have with the service you offer and failing to understand why your site can't do something that most other sites seem to manage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    Yoseph;650405" said:
    uk

@Yoseph Please be aware this post /\ does not represent the views of all Fretboard members.

Retail presence on the forum can be mutually beneficial for all, and it's pretty disheartening to read some of this thread.
    +1

@Fortheloveofguitar you are coming across a bit 'Keyboard Conan' in this thread.  

Let's not upset the retailers that do come on here to try and help, rather than just pitch up and tell us about sales. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4294
    edited May 2015
    PVO_Dave;650491" said:
    not_the_dj said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

Yoseph;650405" said:If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing

uk

+1

@Fortheloveofguitar you are coming across a bit 'Keyboard Conan' in this thread.  

Let's not upset the retailers that do come on here to try and help, rather than just pitch up and tell us about sales. 
    @PVO_Dave
    Of course my views don't represent the views of the fretboard as a whole. Did that really need stating and in bold text? Don't insult his intelligence

No 'keyboard Conan' here either . There's plenty of those types over in the OT section, happy to discuss face to face or on the phone should anyone want to.

There's plenty of others within this thread that are on the same page. Fucked off with retailers misleading and giving consumers the runaround and coming back with BS excuses.

We're all going to have to agree to disagree.

I don't have a problem with GAK being here. They're not spammers like the others but there's no point in threatening to leave because customers don't like or agree with your business practices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    PVO_Dave;650491" said:
    not_the_dj said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

Yoseph;650405" said:If this sort of thread is the trend for The Fretboard I don't see any point in continuing

uk

+1

@PVO_Dave
    Of course my views don't represent the views of the fretboard as a whole. Did that really need stating and in bold text? Don't insult his intelligence

No 'keyboard Conan' here either . There's plenty of those types over in the OT section, happy to discuss face to face or on the phone should anyone want to.

There's plenty of others within this thread that are on the same page. Fucked off with retailers misleading and giving consumers the runaround and coming back with BS excuses.

I don't have a problem with GAK being here. They're not spammers like the others but there's no point in threatening to leave because don't like or agree with your business practices.
    The bold wasn't me... 

I don't disagree that some people are hacked off, but to give someone grief when they've come on to explain and feedback to the higher ups doesn't seem right. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The bold was my post, and that wasn't to insult his intelligence rather to draw attention to my post that might get missed in a rapidly developing thread.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    edited May 2015
    For the second time today I feel disappointed when reading a thread.

Give the guy a break he's already stated that he can't commit the same time to this forum that his predessor did and he's also given an explanation of their operation whether you like it/agree with it or not.

He's obviously not in a position to influence that much as well.

Do people think that GAK owe us a representative that is at the beckon call of this forum?

And then tell them to sling their hook when they question the validity of being involved.

Also ever thought about resolving your beef off the internet?

I know I commented that I shopped at thomann etc earlier but come on.

DaSteve (taking the morale high ground today)

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_Dave;650516" said:
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

PVO_Dave;650491" said:not_the_dj said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

uk

+1

@PVO_Dave

I don't have a problem with GAK being here. They're not spammers like the others but there's no point in threatening to leave because don't like or agree with your business practices.

The bold wasn't me... 

I don't disagree that some people are hacked off, but to give someone grief when they've come on to explain and feedback to the higher ups doesn't seem right. 
    @PVO_Dave

Apologies I didnt notice it wasn't you :)

Fair play to him for coming on and putting his side across but it's the same old same old. Taking his ball and going home when the going gets tough.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    The guy's making an effort, I don't see there's much to be gained by making snide remarks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    FFS
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Yoseph;650405" said:
    uk

Not fair.

He hasn't exactly had a pissy fit.

He's in a bit of a position, he works for GAK not owns it, he can only do so much.

I think he has been quite honest. It might not have resolved it for all people, but has at least put his side forward.

I hope he sticks around.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Fair enough. However, withholding funds for up to five days is unacceptable as I had to source alternate items and couldn't due to this. I'm sure you'll blame the banking system etc, but to me as a customer I don't really care. If I paid the money instantly then I expect it back instantly. Especially when it's pretty much the only spare cash I have.
    You can't expect GAK to change the way the banking system works. Yeah, it's not great, but that's just how it is, it isn't GAKs fault.

I can completely see there's been a cock-up here that's inconvenienced you, but the guy has come on here and apologised, and offered a useful insight into how it all works. Fair play to him.

Yes, there are a few other complaints, but there is always going to be, it's just the nature of the best, you can't expect GAK to manage an online system that rivals Amazon.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited May 2015
    This thread has turned into comedy. 

I have bought one pedal from GAK I believe it was delivered in 48 hours. 

The issues with Internet stocking systems don't just apply to guitar shops it is a UK wide Internet problem with everyone wanting more business via Google.  

Don't shoot the GAK messenger boys and girls.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    I've bought loads of stuff from GAK, online, over the phone and in store. I've always had top-notch service with a completely no-hassle attitude toward returns. In short, the guys have always bent over backwards for me.

Any company doing any volume of business will have the odd issue here and there - it's inevitable. What happened to the OP isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world, and certainly not worth trashing the reputation of a retailer online. This should have been dealt with privately in the first instance. Give the guys a chance to make amends and then start a thread if you're still dissatisfied.
  • YosephYoseph Frets: 66
    @fortheloveofguitar I won't leave the forum. I'd like to still be here if it can be constructive. I'd like to still be here so people can PM me if they have questions, or to be tagged in posts if I can help out in any way.

I get that you especially have a problem with GAK, and the answer to that is not to shop with us, not to use a forum as an opportunity to shout in my face over the internet. I wouldn't be Ok with the way you've spoken to me on here if you were in my store, and I don't think I should have to put up with it online either.

I have plenty of time for constructive criticism, and believe me I'm feeding all of this back in a push to influence a change in how our stock system words things.

I've said all I can on this thread. Cheers guys.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Shit me. If anyone on this thread goes onto GAK's site ever again and doesn't understand their terminology then you've only got yourselves to blame!!

Its been done to death. They're upgrading the website, comments are being passed back. But at least you understand what their terms mean now, even if you don't like them.

I can understand frustrations on both sides, but I think the point has been made now?
This discussion has been closed.