The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Well, unless I grow 30,000 more rights to vote I'm note sure I *can* make a non-conservative difference here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Budgie said:
    Derbyshire Dales? 

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    North East Cambs!
    Bidley said:
    North East Cambs!

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Do we ALL live in conservative safe seats or is the maths skewed?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    edited June 2017
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

And if everyone voted for what they wanted, instead of following all this "x can't win" crap, we might have something better approaching a democracy.
    Not under this electoral system we wouldn't.

We would have rule by the largest minority, overriding the majority - which is not a real democracy.

Well, (a) I did say "better approaching a democracy", and (b) we'd be much more likely to have hung parliaments so more views would have to be taken into account and more consensus decisions struck.
    No, not at all - people voting for what they want in a FPTP system usually produces rule by the largest minority,  is unlikely to produce a hung parliament, and especially unlikely to produce one which has a large third party and no possibility of a minority government.

The only time this has happened since WWII was the 2010 coalition government.

Under FPTP it's actually much more democratic to vote tactically if you can - that would ensure that the government is the first or second choice of the most people. What tends to happen when people vote for what they really want is that you get the third choice of the most people.

So really, we just need a better electoral system...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    Lancashire West please.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    @Fretwired  can I see Birmingham Northfield? It's a bit closer a race, I think...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5314
    Myranda said:
    Do we ALL live in conservative safe seats or is the maths skewed?
    I live in Leicester West. At the last election every other party on the ballot combined polled about 2000 more votes than Labour.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Lancashire West please.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30140
    ICBM said:
    I'm not going to disagree with that!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Cirrus said:
    @Fretwired  can I see Birmingham Northfield? It's a bit closer a race, I think...

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    Fretwired said:
    Diane Abbott pranked ...

Ms Abbott was caught out by an email prankster who sent her a message purporting to be from Seumas Milne, Mr Corbyn’s director of communications. She apparently said in a response: “Do you still want to add colour to the illness story? If so maybe we should speak.” In reply to a second email from “@Sinon_Reborn”, she said: “I am not sure what colour I can add . . . I am worried about telling untruths about my health which are easily disproved”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4578646/Diane-Abbott-fooled-Seumas-Milne-email-prankster.html?ITO=1490

Just to play devils advocate here. I've no love for Ms Abbott, but I'm disturbed by this...

Assume she really is ill for a second. Her reply to email one could merely be a sick person refusing to go along with a PR embellishment and wanting a conversation about it instead. Her second reply is possibly saying "I won't lie about the details of my illness, and it would be easy to get found out even if I agreed to it". 

What people will will remember from this is that she isn't ill and is lying. That could be true, but the selective bits of these emails don't prove anything. 

Another new low...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Fretwired said:
    Bidley said:
    North East Cambs!

Almost makes me want to stay at home and have an extra wank tomorrow
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Fretwired said:

Are any of them reputable? I'm struggling to find it in the Guardian.
    The Times ... Google is your friend

Found it! Surprised The Times isn't making more of it, I had to go hunting. It's only "apparent" news still.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    Newport West please.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

And if everyone voted for what they wanted, instead of following all this "x can't win" crap, we might have something better approaching a democracy.
    Not under this electoral system we wouldn't.

We would have rule by the largest minority, overriding the majority - which is not a real democracy.

Well, (a) I did say "better approaching a democracy", and (b) we'd be much more likely to have hung parliaments so more views would have to be taken into account and more consensus decisions struck.
    No, not at all - people voting for what they want in a FPTP system usually produces rule by the largest minority,  is unlikely to produce a hung parliament, and especially unlikely to produce one which has a large third party and no possibility of a minority government.

The only time this has happened since WWII was the 2010 coalition government.

Under FPTP it's actually much more democratic to vote tactically if you can - that would ensure that the government is the first or second choice of the most people. What tends to happen when people vote for what they really want is that you get the third choice of the most people.

The german system is very good. IIRC you get 2 votes; one for your local MP, and another for the national level (ie the party/person you want to be in charge). Each winning local gets a seat based on the total of #1 votes in each constituency, then extra parliamentary seats are added from a "reserve MP list" until the ratio matches the makeup of #2 votes, and the winning party at the national level gets to have its leader in power.

There is no point voting tactically because there isn't really any way to do so. The issue is that it's complicated and not in the interests of any majority-holding party to bring in.

The issue is much like Warren Buffet's idea to fix the government budget deficits - simply bring in a law that says anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election. But no-one in power will ever vote for it. I would actually argue that deficits can be ok in order to continue investment in infrastructure, but longer-term sustained deficits are ultimately going to cause problems.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Thanks for that Fret. I must not be understanding the top left graph though, as Labour won in 2015? Or is that graph showing "of those who voted in 2015, how do they plan to vote now?" or something else?
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Could you do Winchester please? Used to be LD, heavily Con last couple of times, but all of the likely Lab voters I've spoken to have said they're voting tactically for LD.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25508
    @Fretwired ...before you end up being asked to do the entire country! - could I ask you to do Gower please - it is the most marginal constituency in the country (as well as mine!).  We've been Labour for 90% of the past century with a couple of Liberal MPs waaay back, but only went Tory by 27 votes for first time ever in the last general election.  Ta.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."