The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    The Ashcroft poll summaries are interesting - 12 out of 14 (if I counted right) say respondents aren't happy with the direction the country is going in but still prefer to have May as PM.  There's obviously a fair amount of disconnect between what's happening with the country and the people in charge who have allowed the events to occur.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    I might have sneakily turned the Daily Mail and Sun round so the front pages were hidden in Tesco's Newspaper Booth just now...  B)

REVOLUTION!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Cirrus said:
    I might have sneakily turned the Daily Mail and Sun round so the front pages were hidden in Tesco's Newspaper Booth just now...  B)

REVOLUTION!
    Literally... 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    You can access the Lord Ashcroft site without a password:
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/
    then select 2017 estimates
    Looks like @Fretwired needn't have done it for you all

mine is very marginal, 52% chance for the tories
    was 48% vs 46% last time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Ro_S said:
    My election result prediction:   Tory majority of approx 75 seats.  
    Mine - Tory Majority of 20, and May eased out as a result. 

Sadly IMHO this is nightmare result as Hard Brexit nutters (Dave Davis, Liam Fox etc) will gain even tighter grip (don't think she is but has had to tread a fine line given current tiny majority)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Cirrus said:

REVOLUTION!
    Good one Mary Whitehouse.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2017
    Brexit full steam ahead, please.    I hope the so-called Lib Dems get wiped out.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    I haven't made a correct prediction in the sphere of politics for some time.
    So I predict a Tory win.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    The election is tomorrow?  Or have I missed something?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm feeling pretty despondent, and noting how many elections have gone against what I hope in the last 7 years, it wouldn't surprise me that there'll be an increased Tory majority. I do hope Corbyn hangs on though, becomes a little more moderate and improves his shadow cabinet. He's a force for change and perhaps seeing how things went, when he polished his media appearances, listened to the party when he produced a manifesto and put aside his personal politics for the greater good... He might make Labour pretty awesome. Play the game enough to catch the uncertain and doubtful, but not so much he loses what makes him unique.
    My V key is broken
    edited June 2017
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-and-conservative-manifesto-pledges-dont-add-up-says-ifs-a3549666.html

I think I've decided. I'm gonna throw my vote away and give it to the Greens.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Drew_TNBD said:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/573514/General-election-IFS-slams-Labour-Tories-Lib-Dems-manifestos

It isn't thrown away if it is based on your principles.
  • NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    Drew_TNBD said:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/573514/General-election-IFS-slams-Labour-Tories-Lib-Dems-manifestos

That article is from 2015.
  • Drew_TNBD said:

You're going to vote based on a 2 year old article from the Express?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew said:
    I'm feeling pretty despondent, and noting how many elections have gone against what I hope in the last 7 years, it wouldn't surprise me that there'll be an increased Tory majority. I do hope Corbyn hangs on though, becomes a little more moderate and improves his shadow cabinet. He's a force for change and perhaps seeing how things went, when he polished his media appearances, listened to the party when he produced a manifesto and put aside his personal politics for the greater good... He might make Labour pretty awesome. Play the game enough to catch the uncertain and doubtful, but not so much he loses what makes him unique.

If Tories win, Corbyn needs to go. He's 68. If the next general election occurs in 5 years' time, Corbyn will be 73 then.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

octatonic said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

It isn't thrown away if it is based on your principles.

Drew_TNBD said:

That article is from 2015.

Drew_TNBD said:

You're going to vote based on a 2 year old article from the Express?
    Copy Pasta fail. This is the one I meant to put in:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-and-conservative-manifesto-pledges-dont-add-up-says-ifs-a3549666.html

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    holnrew said:
    I'm feeling pretty despondent, and noting how many elections have gone against what I hope in the last 7 years
    What, two? It's not that bad. I bet there are members here who can look back on many more than that.

I'm consoling myself by bearing in mind the polls leading up to Trump and Brexit...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    holnrew said:
    I'm feeling pretty despondent, and noting how many elections have gone against what I hope in the last 7 years
    What, two? 

My reaction was the same.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    I've voted in every election since 1987, and I've got the government I voted for twice - 1997 (Labour) and 2010 (Lib Dem coalition). AKA be careful what you wish for…

Although to be fair Blair's first term was good, and the Lib Dems had little choice but to go with the Tories when they won more seats than Labour.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5138
    edited June 2017
    I'm stuck regardless who I vote for, living in (I think) the second safest Labour seat in the country. So I'm just going to have be resigned to hoping that the rest of the country deliver something that won't screw us all over. Not feeling too hopeful there, so I'll be "wasting" my vote on the Libs again, as I have in most elections since I was eligible ('88)

I can see a near future of more of the same; more cuts, more bullshit austerity, more war, more attacks and a lot more division and mistrust.

But hey, I'll soon be getting drone deliveries from Amazon and sandwiches from Pret to my desk via Deliveroo, so Whoop-de-fucking-Do!

*edit* Feeling pretty depressed today, not that it makes any difference.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...