The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    Lewisham Penge

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Re; that IFS article about the manifesto pledges not adding up... sure, it's important, but just some perspective;

Between 2010 and 2016 gov't spending amounted to £3.9 trillion. About a trillion of that was borrowed. In the face of those numbers, even a few tens of billions of uncosted pledges don't seem so bad, especially since the Labour ones seem to revolve around the concept of investing in the future - the only way Brexit will ever be a success, and the only way we'll ever reduce the deficit, let alone pay off some national debt, is if the economy grows in the coming decades. 

If the conservatives had said in 2010;

"Our plan for the next six years is this: We're going to run an average deficit of about a hundred billion pounds a year, double the national debt, while pursuing austerity policies so that no one feels confident in the future and the economy is stagnated. We'll reduce the strength of our armed forces and police, sell off the few remaining national assets for less than they're worth, and begin the process of privatising the NHS. We're going to take the UK out of its most prosperous and important trading block at a time when the US is also looking to reduce its commitments on the world stage, even though we know it's going to be damaging to the economy and condemn everyone to being poorer. And at the end of it all, the deficit will still be essentially the same."

That would have been very honest, and who would have voted for that?

The Conservative austerity politics might be *a bit* cheaper today and seem to be dealing with the problems of the past, but to my mind they stifle the chance of economic growth in the future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    We seem to be such a divided people nowadays, I see no way any politician can bring everyone together...and I think we're as much to blame for that as them. I'm pretty amazed that any politician would even want to try.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4851
    paulads said:
    We seem to be such a divided people nowadays, I see no way any politician can bring everyone together...and I think we're as much to blame for that as them. I'm pretty amazed that any politician would even want to try.
    Which is why we ultimatly need a more european coalision type government. Seems to work very well for Germany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Ro_S said:
    Bidley said:
    holnrew said:
    I'm feeling pretty despondent, and noting how many elections have gone against what I hope in the last 7 years
    What, two? 

My reaction was the same.
    I'm including those outside the country, but perhaps I should have also said votes/polls, including brexit (I hate that the word has become so commonplace that it's the only way to refer to it now)
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Cirrus said:

If the conservatives had said in 2010;

"Our plan for the next six years is this: We're going to run an average deficit of about a hundred billion pounds a year, double the national debt, while pursuing austerity policies so that no one feels confident in the future and the economy is stagnated. We'll reduce the strength of our armed forces and police, sell off the few remaining national assets for less than they're worth, and begin the process of privatising the NHS. We're going to take the UK out of its most prosperous and important trading block at a time when the US is also looking to reduce its commitments on the world stage, even though we know it's going to be damaging to the economy and condemn everyone to being poorer. And at the end of it all, the deficit will still be essentially the same."

That would have been very honest, and who would have voted for that?
    I'm sure a lot of people still would… there are plenty of people who will happily go along with the country going down the pan if they're told their taxes will be cut.

Then they get old or ill and find they need those public services which the taxes they should have paid weren't used to invest in and have been sold off to private companies.

Welcome to Tory economics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Do anyone think Jeremy will lose his shit on Friday morning during his resignation speech? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Diane Abbott was spotted running around in Oxford Circus at 830am this morning she looked fit as a fiddle.

Clearly a last ditch feeble PR attempt from Labour to show they are ditching their chief accountant and security expert to give people more hope.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2372
    capo4th said:
    Diane Abbott was spotted running around in Oxford Circus at 830am this morning she looked fit as a fiddle.

Clearly a last ditch feeble PR attempt from Labour to show they are ditching their chief accountant and security expert to give people more hope.
    blah blah blah.     you are beyond tedious little tory troll man.

say something positive about your party -  how will things improve under saint u-turn over the next 5 years?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    corbyn supports independent music venues..  

http://thequietus.com/articles/22579-corbyn-independent-music-venues

thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

say something positive about your party -  how will things improve under saint u-turn over the next 5 years?
    Wait and see Thomas on Friday more U turns will be revealed in Theresa's victory speech.

Please be sure to cast your vote tomorrow in the blue box ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:
    Jeremy loves the grime scene....

thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Why are you always so negative Thomas I have noticed this trait in your personality in the last month or so.

Maybe you need a hobby or a girlfriend to brighten up your days. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Get some hope in your life Thomas 
    capo4th said:

thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Why are you always so negative Thomas I have noticed this trait in your personality in the last month or so.

Maybe you need a hobby or a girlfriend to brighten up your days. 
    so you've got nothing positive about the changes the next tory governement will bring then?

thought not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Stop being so serious Thomas this is an Internet forum we are not deciding world peace a bit of banter has to be a good thing life is too short to fall out over politics. 

The general election will all be forgotten come Monday morning and life can continue as normal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    Stop being so serious Thomas this is an Internet forum we are not deciding world peace a bit of banter has to be a good thing life is too short to fall out over politics. 

The general election will all be forgotten come Monday morning and life can continue as normal.
    aye right good one. waaayy too late for that old bean.  

in the 3599999999 posts you' ve done on this thread I can't remember many or any where you've actually put forward a positivie  view on your beloved tory party will run the country in the next year that will actually make things better for people.

So come on  - What exactly are the  next tory government going to do to improve the country?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    You clearly don't remember the last recession Thomas maybe you were too young. 

Look where we are today and people want to put Labour in charge to fuck it all up like they did back then. 

Corbyn is out out there selling impossible dreams he will not change anything.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    You clearly don't remember the last recession Thomas maybe you were too young. 

Look where we are today and people want to put Labour in charge to fuck it all up like they did back then. 

Corbyn is out out there selling impossible dreams he will not change anything.
    You've not answered the question.

FAIL.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't fail Thomas I win everyday ! Day in day out live the dream! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom